Mojave Scorpion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gdwill2u, Jun 30, 2006.

1. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

The sound clips on the Mojave site sound spectacular and the build quility is the best I have ever seen. I especially love the clean sound.

Would appreciate any feedback on the Mojave Amp company in general and the scorpion in particular.

One of themost important issues for me is that an amp be as dead quiet as possible.

Thanks in advance

straight outta fuzz likes this.
  2. Ironman

Ironman Member

Yeah the clips sound pretty damn good! I bought a Scorpion a couple of years ago based on the clips but wasn't too excited about the amp in person. The build quality is top shelf and it does have a nice clean for an EL34 amp but its dirty tone was a little on the dark side and not ballsy enough for me. Didn't sound close to the clips IMHO. I think most Scorpion owners love theirs though. I highly recommend auditioning one before dropping the cash.

3. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

this might give you an idea of what to expect from a scorpion

this is big brother, the peacemaker, set clean as heard in the first part of this short video clip, and then i kick on a barber direct drive

gtr is a fender strat with an evh pickup mixed with a stock single coil in position 4

the scorp sounds much like the peacemaker, except it breaks up sooner and has a slightly brighter sound with less headroom.

mojave peacemaker set clean/pedal dirt

4. Ironman

Ironman Member

Mentomeman, very tasty playing and tone! I've always loved your clips! I wonder if the Peacemaker has a bit more girth and punch than the Scorpiion. I was really surprised that I didn't gel with her. I'm a classic/hard rocker and from the clips to me that's where the Scorpion shines. In hindsight I wish I had experimented with tubes a little, that might have helped. She came loaded with JJ's which I've never liked.

5. Ironman

Ironman Member

I'm with you on the SL tone. My main amp right now is a Roccaforte Custom 30 loaded with EL34's. 70's Super Lead type grind out of the ying yang!

6. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

Thanks everyone, didn't hear what I was expecting, but Hey! that's what this forum is about. Honest reviews from folks with experience.

7. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

I own Peacemaker #49 and I've been extremely happy with it. I'm not so much using it for the VH thing although it gets there no problem but I can cover alot of other ground with it as well. Pretty much everything in terms of classic rock is available to you there. The power dampening and line out are excellent additions as well. I run mine in a wet/dry/wet rig and use the line out for the wet signal. It sounds HUGE!
    I also use it for more modern fusion stuff as well. It works great for me there too. I tend to run the volume knobs around 1-2 o'clock and use pedals to get the rest of the punch I need for solos etc. This allows me to dial down the guitar volume to get the cleans I need or work with rhythm guitar tones on the edge of breakup. I also use a Radial Switchbone to change or mix the hi and lo inputs which also opens alot of tonal territory for you. Bottom line, I dig it! I'm toying with the idea of getting a Plexi 45 in the future because I love Victor's work that much!

8. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Well, I just got one (#8) and it kills !!

Perfect amp to A/B with for your dirty stuff

Some very smooth High end - not harsh at all

Dissonant chords can be discerned no prob when the amp is fully overdriven

I play it through a 1-12 Boogie cab w/the 200 W EV

9. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

Peacemaker #66

It smokes!:AOK

10. searchin4signal

searchin4signal Member

Peacemaker #75 here
    Works killer for me !

11. JWR

JWR Member

You can brighten them up a bit with tube selection. For preamp tubes, I personally dislike current production anything. The Mullards (the ones I have) are too dark for the Mojave, I found some gray plate RCA's that are brighter. These are screamer amps. Naturally a brighter speaker is an asset as well.

12. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Yeah, the scorp has been tons of fun and perfect for my riffs

I have been giving live and loud tutorials to my students after lessons demonstrating the difference between pre-amp gain vs. power amp overdrive

The decision is unanimous amongst all

13. grinder965

grinder965 Member

Peacemaker #54 here.....Scorpion is suppose to be a 50 watt version of the PM but uses the same larger transformers as understand it. I think the PM has a stainless steel chassis while the Scorpions is aluminum.

The PM is a killer amp....loves PAF style hummers....power damping (PD) works real well....I use the PD in tandem with a Hotplate to lower 4 or 8 dbs. Something about what Mojave's done with the circuit that is different than other amps and I mean that in a good way. No pedals necessary to achieve a great brown sound. Less ear fatigue too. I love having low and high mid tone controls as well as the high and low inputs.....gonna have to looking into trying a radial switchbone so i can switch between the two on the fly....great suggestion Nomadgtr!

14. zuel69

zuel69 Supporting Member

Hi guys, I may be a noob here but I do own Peacemaker #70:dude