1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Mojave Sidewinder "Updated Voicing"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MHG, May 24, 2011.

1. MHG

MHG Member

Just received my new 2011 Mojave Sidewinder with the updated voicing. It sounds amazing! I never played an older Sidewinder so I'm not sure how it would compare. I've had the Coyote for a couple of years and am still blown away by the tone every time I plug in. I need to spend some more time with the Sidewinder but my initial impressions are extremely favorable!!! Anyone else have one? Mojave amps definitely don't seem to get the respect they deserve. I've owned a ton of boutique amps over the years and I can easily say that Mojave is at the top of the pack. There are other amps that I own that are also at the top of the pack, but they would fall into different tonal catagories. Tweed, Dumble....etc..etc. One not better than the other, just different. You can view the amps I own or have owned in my signature so you get an idea of my tonal journey. If you like your Coyote, you'll love this new Sidewinder!!!!! Stunning!!!

2. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

I have a Coyote serial 36, incredible tone out of this little amp... cool that the new sidewinger sounds like that in a bigger package, cool.

3. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

would that be the HG version?

i had vic do that mod to my peacemaker and it is sweet indeed.

i'm always a sucker for old vh tone and quality classic rock tone in general, and after owning a PM in the past and realizing i missed it too much i got another one and reaffirmed the fact that for *me* it's the best rock amp platform i've heard or played.

i use pedals, attenuation, wet cab...i do that with every rig i assemble...so it's not a plug and play amp for my tastes, but the overall result i get is total happiness!

this is with the amp low sensitivity input, treble volume about 7, bass volume 1-2, plexitone out front (my idea of an added high gain mod!) with drive and high gain switches on, hotplate at -8, dry speaker out to bogner 4x12, amp's power dampening about 4 on a 10 scale, line out to tc gforce for delay/verb, out to peavey classic 50/50 bridged mono for 100 watts into the wet avatar gh30 4x12 cab

took me about an hour to set up the rig and dial in the tone for this sound.
    it is low enough to be able to hear my strings acoustically on this clip and not be clipping my iphone. the halen thing comes alive with the treble volume at 7 but without attenuation the volume would shatter the sun.

the tone gets better i.e. clearer and less pedal contrived as the volume rises via reducing attenuation and power dampening, and i can reduce the pedal gain more and achieve more pure clean sustain, and the bass strings get more dynamic as the cab/speakers come alive. and that 's the part that for me there is no getting around--the speakers and cab have to hit a certain volume where they become interactive with the tone and guitar or it doesn't work.

i can get the general sound and approximate feel of the VH tone without becoming too ocd about matching every element of it, as well as other tones i admire...by rolling off the treble preamp volume, turning off the high gain switch in the plexitone, and adding more bass preamp volume, the amp shifts into more earthy blues rock tones ala audley freed cry of love meets landau burning water..that bouncy strat neck/middle dirt which rolls off clean.

i've also managed a decent ej lead tone with the PM by putting a dynacomp in front of a tonebone classic before the amp, into a replex delay and rolling off more highs.

4. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

wonder if anyone here has any live performance clips using mojaves?

i'd love a plexi 45 sometime in my lifetime!

5. Demo

Demo Member

Some Brooks and Dunn might? Lou Toomey (guitarist for the band) is known to have used a Plexi-45 for a while. I've seen them live a bunch of times, but was never really able to pick out the amp head he was using those nights.

6. MHG

MHG Member

Hey Mentoneman. I actually bought my Coyote a few years back based on your clips. This Sidewinder is the standard "new voicing" version, not the HG version........though the HG is very tempting. Your PM clip sounds fantastic. I've had some more time with the amp now and all I can say is WOW!!! It has this rumbling drive that is just stunning. When playing rhythm you definitely don't need any reverb going on! It has that swirly, rumbling thing going on but it delivers it in a super punchy and tight package. THe amp is based on a more obscure Vox amp but I don't recall which one. It may be a Vox style amp but it really sounds like a Mojave! Mojave amps just have something special to them that just keeps me coming back. Its also very hard to put into words.
    I'm yet to find an overdrive pedal that I really like in conjunction with Vox style amps. This amp is very different in that regard. My primary OD pedal is the Fuchs Plush Cream. This pedal really takes on the characteristics of each amp you play it through. Plugging this pedal into the High Sensitivity input yields some truly stunning lead tones. Amazing harmonic complexity. Crunchy, tight and singing! All this at any volume!!! Down to conversation level. The power dampening on this one is much better than the Coyote. Definitely the best I've heard. The amp sounds amazing with both single coils and humbuckers. Again, Mojave amps are very hard to describe. I just can't really think of any other amps that would be a proper comparison. Its just a little of this, and a little of that, and a whole lot of Mojo! I would say my style of playing is Country mixed with a little Verheyen and a little Ohm. So I need the amp to be able to cover a lot of ground. Traditional country players may not be too happy with the warmth of the amp, but it just kills for more of a modern country type of sound. Tons of spank and punch! Being able to get great warm country AC style tones and singing lead tones from one amp has solved a longtime problem for me. Love it!!!!!!!!

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  7. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

the main advantage the coyote had over the peacemaker for me was the ability to create a very midrange-full, dense dynamic lead tone by cranking the amp at lower volumes.
    but overall the peacemaker has much wider dynamic range with the extra headroom and bigger low end so you can fine tune the highs and lows better.

some solutions i came up with were running the coyote into a 4x12 to increase the depth, and adding a second higher wattage wet amp to the equation which allowed me to add bass on that amp and fill in the total sound.

incredible amps that really fly under the radar here.

8. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

yeah you'd think between him, billy gibbons with the scorpion, joe walsh with the coyote, vivian campbell with the scorpion for lizzy, lynch with the PM and scorp, blues with his sidewinder and dirty boy, vic could ask nicely and garnish a few more "celebrity clips" here and there
    :clips

9. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

nice!
    that coyote freaked me out the first time vic showed me the proto of that amp and the peacemaker
    i so badly wish i had videotaped that moment...he started with some zz top, which i kinda got on the demo i did with him, but he went off into van halen tones, brain may, and just NAILED them with the coyote and his guitars and pedals.

and the first revelation i made when i got the coyote home was it's clean tone was nicer than my silverfaced deluxe reverb that i had blackfaced. i was so blown away and sold that i sold that fender the next week!

10. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

forgot frampton and eric johnson also dug the coyote!

I'm really hoping some new dirty boy owners put up some clips--the cleans on that amp are shocking.
    after spending time with the amp and a strat I started to question whether or not the plexi 45 was my favorite Mojave for cleans anymore

and super heavy tones are just waiting to explode out of that amp with the right gtr/effects...wayyyy beyond van halen crunch!

11. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

It's ironic that an amp called "Dirty Boy" has such spectacular cleans! But there you go.

12. MHG

MHG Member

What kind of amp is the DirtyBoy? Is it basically a Plexi? Would it be good for styles other than rock? If it is a plexi style amp, I would imagine the clean tones would be very warm and punchy with a subdued top end? Maybe too warm for someone who has a country/country rock influence?

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  13. SamsDaddy

SamsDaddy Member

Ask and ye shall receive! Here's a couple of me with my Plexi 45, though my playing doesn't do much to showcase the amp (I'm on the right side of the vids)...

14. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

rig details?
    sounds nice!

15. SamsDaddy

SamsDaddy Member

Thanks!

Pretty simple rig... Mojave Plexi 45, Mojave 2x12 cab (G12H and Celestion Blue). Only pedal I use is a ZVex Box of Rock as a solo boost.

I run it with the channels jumpered with the treble channel volume dimed and the normal channel volume around 2-3. Bass is around 2, mids cranked, treble around 6.

Every other amp I have played since I got the Mojave just doesn't compare.

16. duane v

duane v Member

That's my clean set-up this September.... I'm retiring the VOCAC50

17. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i feel about mojave amps today like i did about egnaters a decade ago

i was so blown away by the tol 100 back in 95 and couldn't figure out why eggies weren't "must have" amps. 4 amazing buttery channels of TONE!
    then i got one in 2000 and my appreciation for the eggie magic jumped through the roof, singing it's praises at every opportunity often without much collaboration!
    now look at bruce...superstar!

then i met Vic and he demoed his prototypes of his new line of amps for me in 01/02?. i cannot describe that first time up to the plexi palace, when the hit the first few chords on his peacemaker rig. it was almost like a dream. my mind had a hard time believing it was hearing that sound, after so many years of looking. i wanted to cheer, cry, and most importantly OWN that thing!

but then he played the coyote and it was calling me, so......

got my coyote in 03, and first PM in 05, and it's one of the few amp brands i can turn on and know every time it will amaze me and be dependably killer, but also have something new and interesting about it to learn from. and best of all it always sounded and felt to me like there is very little circuitry congesting the signal path from string to speaker.

so nowadays my carol ann is the killer 2 channel fendery clean to sweet juicy velvety lead tone low wattage amp, and the PM is the pure glassy plexi growl machine with a TON of versatility from a dedicated single channel amp.

happy!

18. HazelGoatee

HazelGoatee Member

I have a mojave sidewinder with serial 9. I also want to know what's the difference between the new and older...

I had also a plexi45 amp some months ago. I love the Mojave amps! I also want one scorpion amp... :rockin

19. MHG

MHG Member

I never played the original Sidewinder, but I have a feeling many people thought it was voiced a little too warm and smooth. Increasing the gain in the upper mids, as Victor has done, will help it cut more, and give it that added chime and sustain. I play with somewhat of a country influence so I need to be able to achieve that clarity, punch, and chime associated with that style. I had the Plexi 45 for a while recently and it was just too warm for me. It sounded fantastic for other styles though. I'm a Strat player and that amp just begged to be played with a Les Paul. I guess the new Sidewinder was re-voiced to be more pleasing to those more accustomed to traditional AC style tones. Lets not forget this is a Vox circuit. Judging by the sound clips of the original Sidewinder, the new version sounds exactly the same but with a little more clarity maybe? The fundamental tone seems to be the same, as it's still based on the same obscure vox amp.

20. MCK

MCK Member

We have a very similar taste I think given our amp or amp maker choices but I wish I had half your talent!!! Your clips & playing skills are amazing! Keep it coming please.