Mojave vs Aiken vs Germino ... etc.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by iggs, May 18, 2006.

1. iggs

iggs Member

Hey all,

GAS-ing for a new amp, here are a few contenders:

1. Mojave Plexi 45
    2. Aiken Intruder 50
    3. Germino Lead 55
    4. anything else?

Looking for a Plexi style amp, single channel, no need for fx-loop, takes pedals well, has great crunch on it's own, tight bottom end and those piano-like clean tones ...
    Thanks in advance for all the info, opinions, tips, suggestions ... etc.

2. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

I couldn't say enough about Aiken Intruders...I am loving my Intruder/Invader hybrid 50. The master works very very well. I owned 3 different JCM 800's back in the day and never enjoyed the cleans...I currently have a Two Rock CR Sig and consider it to have the best cleans going....I bought the Aiken to satisfy the need for a marshallesque crunch (which I got in spades)..what I didn't count on was getting an incredibly gorgeous sounding amp that nailed the marshall tones I wanted, but that also cleans up beautifully using the guitar volume. Because of this amp I have become addicted to the plexi styled cleans,...and it hits everything from plexi clean, to grit to full on marshall crunch. For most rock (zeppelin, aerosmith, trower, hendrix) I don't need a pedal for gain, but I could see using a transparent boost for bumping volume for leads.....potentially...on the other hand I just tend to work the volume of the guitar....for harder stuff (dokken/ozzie/priest) the amp takes pedals extremely well. The bias ports on the back make biasing a breeze, and the internally jumpered inputs for bridging inputs are a nice feature.

People rave about the other amps you mentioned, and the builders behind them..but in my dealings I preferred the customer service (pre-purchase research/contact) that I received from Randall Aiken.

Good luck in your decision.

3. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

I'm biased (pun intended!!)...Germino!!!!

-Rich

4. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

http://www.voodooamps.com/vplex.html

Don't know if it's "better" or not, but I have one and love it. Haven't sold or traded it after two years now, and that's saying a heck of a lot for a gear slut like me.

That being said, #2 and #3 are on my list to own eventually also. I have been under the impression that they are more "custom voiced" Marshall type amps whereas the V-Plex is supposed to be a clone. But they carry a great reputation--I especially love the Allman feel to the Germino clips.

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I'm familar with Aiken and Germino from your list.

I find the same thing true of the Germino amps that bluessyndicate finds of his Aiken; it's a beautiful thing when you find the Plexi thing and dig it. Once I did, man, it changed my world.

Both Randall and Greg are utterly top notch builders, with superior products and incredible customer support. You could not go wrong with either of them.

6. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I like 'em all, but Greg Germino is the best out there IMO

7. tcrash

tcrash Supporting Member

I am in the same boat, looking at the same amps. The Mojave quickly got the boot, and was replaced by Roccaforte. The search has narrowd to only the Roccaforte, and the Germino. Greg is a good friend of mine, so this may be the way I sway, I have played, or heard all of his amps. irronically he is the one that suggested I look at the Roccaforte's. I may end up with one of each, just to experiment.

8. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

LOV 55 Germino is a great plexi tone,and with the right cabinet it goes one notch above.:drool

9. Ironman

Ironman Member

Not on the list but I'd include Roccaforte. Great take on Classic Marshall tones, huge super tight low end. The biggest punch of the bunch, I'm talking his Custom 30, 40 or 80. I've got a Custom 30 that just blows my mind! I'm using an OCD with her and am oh so happy with the tones I'm getting.

10. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

The Germino is one I've not tried but is on my list...

I've owned a Mojave Peacemaker , Scorpion and Coyote.

Also, Aiken Sabre, Intruder and Tomcat....

The Intruder is the one thats stayed and I actually sold it and then bought it back. For me it's become my Desert Island amp. Awesome cleans, awesome cruch and lead tones. Hit it with an OCD and it's metal meltdown.

I think it would be hard to go wrong with either the Aiken, Germino or Roccaforte. The Aiken is my choice at the moment, but there will be a Germino and a Roccaforte in the house eventually.

Steve E

11. iggs

iggs Member

Thanks all, that's great info and help!!!

Few Q's

- I assume I can link channels on Germino, right? I really like mixing the two channels, something I like about the Aiken (having internaly linked channels)
    - Germino 55 and 55LV ... what is the difference sound wise? Other then the obvious rectifier "sag" on the LV. Which one has more headroom?
    - I get all my high-gain sounds from my pedals, which amp would give the best (and loudest) clean/edge-of-breakup sound?

12. thegame

thegame Member

That is really cool that Greg Germino recommended a Roccaforte over his own amp if he thought it would be a better match for you.:AOK

13. tcrash

tcrash Supporting Member

I play higher gain type of stuff, and really wanted an amp with a MV, The HG-100 is the one I am going to try, I am in the process of re-vamping my entire rig, going to go with 2 different heads, and a axess head switcher into 2 Germino 4-12 cabinets. The Lead 55 is deffinately going to be one of the heads, I am up in the air about the other, that is where Greg mentioned the Roccaforte.

14. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

I'm curious. Since the Mojave, Aiken, and Germino are all vintage Marshall voiced amps, why hasn't anyone included the Heritage Colonial for consideration?
    Have you heard and played one yet?
    Blew us away at the Tampa Tonefest. A 50w that sounds and behaves like a 100w. Killer marshall tones.
    No knock on the other fine builders listed either. I had one of the first Aiken Intruders and still regret selling it. Several people have told me it had the best sound they ever heard for me. I moved away from the Marshall thing after the Aiken. But I gotta say- the Colonial is a serious piece of engineering. Paul really nailed it down for guys who dig great vintage Marshall tones.