MOJO "Dijon" coupling caps

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by KLB, Feb 26, 2006.

1. KLB

KLB Member

MOJO is selling the so-called "mustard" coupling caps. They call them "Dijon" caps. These caps are branded TAD in Europe. You can see them here (scroll down page):

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/cgi-bin/mojotone/scan/co=yes/fi=products/rf=sku/sf=prod_group/se=Electronics/op=eq/sf=category/se=Capacitors/tf=brand

Germino is now using these.

They are replicas of the caps Marshall used in the 60's. MOJO has the common values. There are a few more values available in the TAD line. The prices are reasonable, even at retail.

Time to heat up that soldering iron?

2. hasserl

hasserl Member

How are these replicas of the caps Marshall used in the 60's? Not in appearance anyway. Maybe they've got a special mojo to them that makes them sound like caps Marshall used in the 60's. I wonder why they call them dijon? Isn't dijon usually kind of brownish? I think a better name for these bright yellow caps would be French's. :)

Man, don't get sucked into the cap mojo thing. That should be something we make fun of hifi guys about. :horse

3. KLB

KLB Member

My post was meant as an "FYI."

I normally poo-poo fancy cables and other audiophile hooey.

I'm not big into cap differences, either. However, for those who enjoy tinkering with amps, it is good to have inexpensive choices (compared with SOZO and the likes) when making changes. If they are good enough for Germino to use, they are plenty good enough for me.

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

If you want high-quality cap's at a reasonable price I suggest you hit the electronic surplus stores. There are 7 in Toronto that I'm aware of so I'm guessing there is one near wherever you live. These places aren't experts on everything and usually apply a standard price to component values - or based on the volume of stock they have. Another source is ham radio fleamarkets. That's where I picked up the transformers for my latest amplifier build. I think I paid 5 dollars for the power tranny, choke and output transformer. All of which were on broken old chassis which had other interesting and useful components.

I realize that others like to build boutique-esque amplifiers with the highest quality components, and that's fine. But I assure you there's nothing wrong with the way my designs/builds sound.

DJ

5. JMP2203

JMP2203 Member

how they sound compared to sozo?

6. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

You guys knew I'd pipe up with mu opinion,so grin and bear it.
    The Mojo Dijons sound great.I prefer them 3-1 over orange drops in a Fender amp.My ears and many happy customers agree that they are better than the gereric caps available.
    does it mean that when you install them that your amp will go from dog to sweetheart?Only if it is in good operating condition t start with.
    Guys who say it's snake oil have not tried them and refuse to do so for some reason.
    I say try first and judge later.

7. LZ_69

LZ_69 Member

I believe that they are a metal foil and film capacitor like the old Mullard's opposed to metalized film like most modern cap.

8. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

Original Philips caps are still available here for those who absolutely must have the real thing.

9. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

bump! anyone else try these?

10. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

:beer

The vast majority of my clients...and myself included...love these. I was a bit suspicious at first, but was quickly appreciative of them with my first intall of these.

11. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

I've used Mojo Dijons in several builds---they are good sounding polyester caps--- they have nice thick leads and appear to be a high quality component.
    That said.......some of the best sounding builds i've ever done have Mallory 150 polyester caps---in two similar lo-wattage JCM 800-type builds the one with M150's, MPS budget PT, recycled 1960's Mohawk OT is preferred by most to the one with Heyboer Marshall 18 watter iron and Mojo Dijons. Both are very impressive sounding amps.
    On the other hand, the best sounding new Hiwatt-type builds i've done have Mojo Dijons and Heyboer Partridge clone iron.
    My personal BF Showman had the orig Blue Ajax caps "harvested" before i got it and i rebuilt it using Mojo Dijons--- it has very impressive authentic BF tone---i'm considering getting a Mojo (Heyboer) 4/8/16 ohm OT for it to replace the rewound OT it came with (for easier speaker load matching---not because the re-wind OT sounds "off")---this is one of my amps that i'll probably never sell.
    Mojo Dijon caps are hi quality but no brand of cap is a "magic answer for instant tone"---- there's more to it than that..................gldtp99

12. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

Where's that facepalm graphic at?

13. Trout

Trout Member

:facepalm

Cheers

14. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

No, this one...
    [​IMG]

15. Trout

Trout Member

HAHA I Love that one!

16. mbratch

mbratch Member

17. Bruce Bennett

Bruce Bennett Senior Member

+2 on the Mallory 150s.. sound great, cost is cheap and they have a nice low ESR rateing. much lower than Orange drops.

in fact I abandoned orange drops 9 years ago. too often they caused parasitic oscillations in tweed style chassis for my taste.

18. hasserl

hasserl Member

I've been using these caps lately and the sound is really authentic and impressive, and kind of saucy too! ;)

[​IMG]

19. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

+ 3 on the Mallory 150's. I also stopped using orange drops some time ago...and only use them at a clients request.

20. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

PLEASE, don't give them anymore useless adjectives to throw around describing plastic caps...

Priceless picture though!