Mojo Hand FX BMP-2 (with limited pre-order discount)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shinksma, Jun 2, 2015.

1. shinksma

shinksma Member

2. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

Great price!!! (for the first 25)

3. shinksma

shinksma Member

OK, so apparently very little TGP interest in this pedal. Just thought I'd post to say I got mine yesterday, but didn't get a chance to play with it - tonight, hopefully.

4. Serenity

Serenity Member

Congrats! Let us know what you think when you've had a bit of time with it. I'd be interested if i hadn't just picked up a Colossus dirt cheap.

5. shinksma

shinksma Member

So I ran through some stuff this morning on the BMP-2, and compared it to other similar and dis-similar pedals. It sounds great, just like I expected, like a classic Russian Muff. I am not discerning enough to say whether it sounds more like a Tall Font vs. whatever. I also have never tried a BMP-1, so I can't compare to the older version directly, but it certainly sounds very much like the YouTube video done by Prymaxe.

Here is the BMP-1 demo for reference:

And as mentioned in the Mojo Hand FX description of the BMP-2, it seems to have a bit more gain available compared to the BMP-1.

It has a nice amount of bass, which some folks may not like, but I quite like it. I tried to dial in a similar sound on my EHX Deluxe BMP, and while I could get a fairly similar sound, especially with the bass boost on the Dlx BMP, the BMP-2 is a little more scooped - a little less mid-range. Maybe if I mucked about a bit more I could tweak the Dlx BMP to sound closer.

I also compared it to my Boss HM-2, which can get quite Muff-like. Again similar, but the Dlx BMP is far closer.

Since the Dlx BMP has a broader range of sounds, including the mids-boost function, I wouldn't necessarily replace it with the BMP-2, so the BMP-2 is likely to end up on one of the other boards - perhaps the one I use with my Fender HRDX. I don't gig with my big board (nor my HRDX board), so it doesn't really matter right now anyway, I suppose - a moot point. I had been considering swapping it for the SD-1 on my gigging board, but I do like the classic-rock distortion TS-like dirt I can get from that, and really that's what my gigging calls for when I use dirt.

I played a PRS CU24 (HFS/VB pups) and a Fender-Squier mexi-strat w/ single coils though the pedals to my PRS Archon amp. (Side note - I haven't played that mexi-strat for over a year, just hanging on the wall, and it was still perfectly in tune - a darned fine guitar from the first year when they were Squier-series-labeled. And the CU24 was also still in tune, of course.)