• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Mojo Hand FX Tourbox II: The New Breed

PlexiFuzz

I know karate. Voodoo, too.
b_rad said:
Anybody heard from cajone5?
I know he's shipped the box out to JayRue. He's got a pretty busy schedule, but I know he's planning to write something up soon.

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
I'd be really interested to try these pedals if there was ever an Aussie tourbox.

cajone5

Some guy
OK -- sorry for the recent radio silence but I was in Dallas for the last couple days to catch the Radiohead show which was AWESOME by the way :)

So here are my thoughts on the pedals...

RECOIL DELAY
For the price this thing slays. It still wouldn't replace what I currently use (Delay 80's and Skreddy Echo) but it was great nonetheless. It is pretty standard as far as delays go but the tone knob allows you to dial in the tone of the repeats really well and lets you tune them so they sit under what you're playing without muddying things up. While there is no intentional modulation in the circuit (as far as I know) there does seem to be a very light warble or something to the repeats similar to the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay. I really did enjoy playing this and as I said, for the price I don't know of anything that can beat it (unless you need tap tempo).

NEBULA IV PHASER
As expected this thing was killer. I the level control really helps make up for the perceived volume drop when kicking on a phaser. The faster tones were OK but honestly this thing shines in the slower washy tones. It can get really transparent or really deep with the depth control. My favorite setting was with the speed pretty low, depth around 10 o'clock and level to unity. It was a beautiful smooth and somewhat transparent phase tone and made me want to play "Breathe" by Pink Floyd :aok

ROOK OD
Probably my favorite of the three pedals which surprised me. It had a pretty wide variety of sounds available with the EQ and toggle and there is a ton of volume available. I was able to get nice clear clean boost out of it which was great. My favorite setting was with volume just above unity and the rest of the knobs around 1:30 and the toggle down (I think). With my neck pickup and these settings I got a fantastic smooth bluesy tone with pushed bass and slightly rolled off treble. Not terribly dynamic but it was awesome anyway. I liked this one so much I tried to buy the one in the emporium but I just missed it :peenut It's definitely on my "to buy" list in the coming months though.

For reference -- I used these with an American SSS strat with Custom Shop '54 pickups into a Retro Chennel RR1 into 2x12 V30's in a Mesa Cab.

This was my first experience with Mojo Hand FX although it certainly won't be my last. And just a note on the 3 pedals -- the build quality was excellent. Great work Mojo Hand and thanks to you guys and BAN for making this tour box available to myself and the other folks here!

Lampasas

Reviews! I used a Tele and Les Paul Standard into a Vox Pathfinder and a '64 Deluxe.

Nebula: This is the one I was most eager to audition. I've owned three Nebulas over the years, have always dug the fact that they're kind of a happy medium between a phaser and a vibe, but always end up wishing they weren't quite so subtle. It can be hard to make them shine in a band mix. I think Brad did a smart thing with the new one. It can do the thick, sweeping Phase 90 thing (great outlaw country-type pedal) but can be dialed back to sound almost vibe-ish. With the depth around 9 o'clock, you get just a slight amount of sweep and some pleasant pulsing action. Turn the speed up to about 1 o'clock, put a fuzz downstream, and you're in Jimi-type vibe territory. I like it a lot.

Recoil: I'm at a delay crossroads these days. Used an Echo Park for years, got tired of the volume boost, somewhat tricky footswitch, and wobbly knobs, recently tried to love a Nova, but ended up wanting something simpler. Just before receiving the tour box, I bought the GGG delay kit that's on sale this month (just arrived, but haven’t had time to assemble it). I'm now hoping the GGG can get me close to the Recoil; if not, I see one in my future. Based on memory, the Recoil's every bit as nice as the Deep Blue Delay, but maybe not quite so fat/thumpy and with the ability to dial in some high end so the repeats poke through a little more (my main beef with the BBD). Really well-voiced, more delay time than I expected. One quirk, though: setting the tone knob below 9 o'clock or so for some reason raises the delay mix quite a bit. It's a great small, flexible, all-purpose delay for those of us that don't like menus, presets, a bunch of blinking lights, big footprints, etc.

Rook: I could be wrong, but I gather Brad’s going for a Full-Drive or Power Screamer (sans boost) type pedal here? It does sound TS-ish at some settings, but with more authority. I liked the compressed mode (toggle up) the best (smooth and sustainy, great for slide work), the non-compressed (middle toggle selection) was nice, but still a little cloudy (for lack of a better term) in the lower mids. Not totally “transparent,” but close enough. Bottom selection didn’t sound a whole lot different from the top to my ears, just gainier and slightly louder. I put it alongside my beloved Gainster to see if I could get it in that ballpark (I love the G for that slight edge of breakup thing), it got pretty close, but couldn’t match the G’s clarity. The Rook is much better at boosting than the G, though. It’s also much tighter/focused than my “regular” boost, an old RX Overdriver. And unlike other TS types I've auditioned, it can keep up with the RX output-wise. The RX tends to dwarf regular overdrives.

Pretty exciting new lineup of pedals overall. The graphics look great in person, everything feels solid, I didn’t open them up, but have seen gut pics online and they look to be solid inside as well. Bravo. Prof Fuzz is going to audition them tomorrow, then I’ll drop them in the mail early next week. Thanks to Brad for letting these circulate.

b_rad

One thing to keep in mind with the Rook is the the fact that the tone stack is interactive with the toggle. The sweet spots of the bass and treble knobs won't be at the same places on the upper postion of the toggle and the middle postion. The middle position removes the clipping section, which allows a lot more through. This can make the bass looser. The bass control may need to be readjusted in that toggle position for the sake of clarity. It's like a different pedal in that position vs the other two. IMO, the tone stack is what sets this pedal apart from a TS style pedal. There are some similarities, in the same way that a Volkswagen and a Mustang both have wheels and tires. ;)

mmolteratx

Got the box earlier today (might be yesterday by the time I'm done writing this up). First thing I noticed was that the aesthetics are killer and very well executed. Nice paint, nice silk screen, nice choice of knobs that compliment it. Then I opened them up and saw some very nice guts. :aok Haven't gotten much time to play around with them as family was here when they arrived but here are my initial thoughts.

Nebula: Very nice phaser. Can get deep, over the top phase sounds and shallower subtle sounds for when you just want to add a bit of movement to the sound. No added noise like some other phasers I've had. Has a very Phase 90-ish quality to the sweep. Plenty of headroom, even with my super hot pickups (this has been a problem for me in the past with many phasers, especially Phase 90 types).

Rook: Not as much gain as I expected, though it has plenty of output Works much better as a boost or to add some grit to other pedals or your amp. Very strong tone controls that really let you shape the sound, whether using it as an OD or boost. I could definitely see anyone using a Timmy being very happy with the Rook. I preferred the bottom clipping position, dunno if that's the LEDs or Si diodes. Seemed to have a tiny bit more distortion and sounded a little more open.

Recoil: Nice, clean delay. Plenty of headroom on the repeats. Tone control lets you get some darker/murkier repeats through to very bright and spiky treble. Spent the least amount of time with this one so I don't have much else to say at this point.

Will play with them some more tomorrow. Also have a MP TOP and DBD coming that I'll compare to the Nebula and Recoil respectively.

b_rad

Thanks for the feedback. You guys are welcome to post gut shots if you want. We're proud of them. :)

stratguy23

I got the tourbox today. I haven't had a ton of time to spend with the pedals, I used them at band practice tonight, but I wasn't able to dial them in before practice started, but here are my initial thoughts:

Rook I generally hate TS style drives, but I have to say the Rook is my favorite by far. It seems more open sounds to me in my limited experience using it. I like that it has controls for treble and bass rather than just a tone control. Here are my complaints so far, it is not nearly as dynamic as my Honey Beest, which is my main drive.

Recoil It is a nice simple delay. I didn't use this much because my band doesn't play a lot of delay heavy songs, but I think I heard some subtle modulation on it. The tone control is nice. I need to spend more time with this pedal, but I like it so far.

Nebula IV This one is my favorite so far, it can get subtle enough that I could use it a lot, but it also can get pretty deep sounding. I used it a lot set slow and subtle for a lot of songs we play, and it sounded nice and enhanced my parts.

More to come on these, I plan to mess around with them a lot tomorrow and compare them to the similar type pedals I have. Btw, the pedals look really good, I really dig the artwork! I want to say thanks to BAN for organizing this and Brad for letting me try these pedals!

stratguy23

Awesome. Glad you like them. Thank you for participating.
Thanks for letting this happen!

Updated review (similar comments as before but more in depth):

Rook I like it A LOT more than any TS than I have ever tried. It can get the mid hump of a TS without being as compressed or sucking out all the bass. The bass and treble controls allowed me to dial in great OD tones for my SSS Strat and my PRS Tremonti, I like that a lot. I do wish it was a little more dynamic (compared to my Bearfoot Honey Beest). I also think the Honey Beest has a little more gain and is a little more open sounding. I also tried stacking it with my Honey Beest, and it sounded great. If I get a TS style pedal, there is a very good chance it will be the Rook.

Nebula IV It is a very solid, simple phaser. I compared it to my Modfactor and my DOD Phasor/490. The Eventide is obviously a lot more versatile, but I did like the simplicity of the Nebula, it is a lot easier to dial in. It can get pretty subtle (I would have liked it to go a little more subtle if possible). I liked the Nebula A LOT more than my DOD. The DOD is not nearly as versatile, it does one or two sounds that I use, where the Nebula had a lot of different sounds I could see using. It would work well for a smaller board.

Recoil For my current band, I do not get a lot of opportunity to use delay heavily, so I have just been using my DMM set pretty subtle. I think that at a setting like this, the Recoil is pretty much just as good (especially when playing with a full band). I also compared it to my TC Electronic Flashback at a similar setting, and I liked the Recoil better, it seemed a little bit clearer. I also think the Recoil did a good job of emulating the degradation that happens on analog delays. I really like the tone control on the Recoil, it is a really cool feature. For more extreme settings, I still think that the DMM wins (and I like that the DMM has controllable modulation). The Recoil would once again work well for a smaller board (I could even see it being my main delay for this band).

Currently, I am kinda broke because I have had my name come up for a few waitlisted pedals, so I can't really afford to buy any new pedals, but I could definitely see myself picking up one or two of these when my funds return.

PlexiFuzz

I know karate. Voodoo, too.
Thanks for the reviews, stratguy. The box should be landing at succor's doorstep today.

succor

I received the tour box yesterday. Thanks, stratguy23.

I'll post my impressions as soon as possible.

Top Bottom