Mojo Hand Magpie like an 808??

stratman7

Currently using a Mojo Hand Rook and leaving it on all the time with a clean amp for crunchy rythym. Was thinking about getting a Magpie to step on for Leads and was wondering if this would be perfect for that (blues/rock lead work). How does the Magpie compare with an 808 for example??? sustain/mid-hump?? I don't use a pedal board so the Odessa wouldn't work. :-(

I love leaving the Rook on but just need to step on another pedal for good blues leads... 808 would be fine but the Magpie sparks my interest and I'm a huge Mojo Hand fan..

Thank you.

NHBluesMan

The Rook is actually closer to an 808, the Magpie is a blues breaker-style pedal IIRC

Also, why does not having a pedalboard mean you can't use an Odessa? If anything id think it'd be the opposite, the Odessa means you're powering fewer pedals, using fewer patch cables, and easier set-up/tear-down

stratman7

The Rook is actually closer to an 808, the Magpie is a blues breaker-style pedal IIRC

Also, why does not having a pedalboard mean you can't use an Odessa? If anything id think it'd be the opposite, the Odessa means you're powering fewer pedals, using fewer patch cables, and easier set-up/tear-down
I go to a lot of open jams and need to set up quick to play.. the Odessa does not take batteries so if an outlet is not quickly available it becomes a barrier. I love the "two in One" pedals but I love the ease of the quick set up with batteries in the pedals. I am leaving the Rook on for "beef" from a clean amp and looking for another for leads.

Jet Age Eric

The Magpie is bright with no low end. I hated it as an od, but it could make a great boost if you want to bring out the attack. I can't recall how much volume is on tap .... -E

Creosote

The Magpie has a flatter EQ than a Tube Screamer, with more bass and less mid-hump. It works great with my AC15HW TV as an overdrive, and has lots of volume on tap. The Rook has lots of bass available; I think a standard TS style pedal would work better for boosting it. I think the Magpie is much better for light drive than a Rook, which works better for medium gain...just my opinion.

Sir Pickalot

Silver Supporting Member
I have used the Magpie as an always on boost to give me a little grit into my Mesa Maverick and it works great esp when the amp starts to get loud. I see Jet Age Eric's experience, but I honestly have not lost any bass and I really have to dime the treble on the pedal to get it bright. It stacks very well also, so I imagine it can push your rook for your desired lead tone. If there is one negative, it can sound stiff at times in the 1st 2 modes (compared to say a TS type pedal) but that may be true of all blues breaker type pedals.

Trending Topics