Mojo Mojo ...is It Worth

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by amoodymule, May 18, 2015.

1. amoodymule

amoodymule Member

This new look is gonna take some gettin' use to...

Sweet Water has dropped the price on the T. C. Electronics MojoMojo to $49.95,

...so the question is, "is it worth the Bad Monkey pricing?"

I have not played thru one yet, but the trigger was pulled and I will mess with it this weekend,

...any thoughts?

2. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Will be interesting to hear what folks say. Those Bad Monkey and SD-1 prices are hard to beat.

3. musicman10_1

musicman10_1 Supporting Member

I just listened to the sample clips of this (mojo) and the Dark Matter pedal which is also a new lowered price. I'm fighting hard to resist the impulse to buy both of them at that price.

4. minty901

minty901 Member

For some reason the TC drive pedals don't have a lot of fans on forums like these.

5. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

perhaps they are not boootteeek enough?

6. minty901

minty901 Member

FWIW I have the Spark, MojoMojo, Dark Matter, Rottweiler. They all sound perfectly fine to me, but unfortunately they're about the only drive pedals I have any experience with so I wont be of much help. The Rottweiler is my favourite of the lot because it's so nasty and grindy and fuzz-like while still being a distortion. It's just great for metal. I think the MojoMojo and Dark Matter are a little more "run of the mill". The Dark Matter gives a good standard hard rock / Marshally tone, and the MojoMojo gives a very warm, maybe slightly flubby overdrive tone. the MojoMojo can get in similar dirty territory as the Dark Matter but is very uncompressed to my ears.

amoodymule likes this.
  7. LeGar

LeGar Supporting Member

I had a really hard time with the low end on the Mojo Mojo. Even with the low end rolled almost all the way down it didn't have the high end sparkle I was looking for. It always felt muddy to me. I also wasn't a fan of how raspy the the overdrive was when it was turned up to noon or higher.

And for reference I have no problem with them not being boutique. My two main overdrives currently are the Boss SD-1 and the EHX Soul Food

8. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

it's a solid drive pedal which i would prefer over other "cheap" common pedals of the same kind.

9. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

The Hall of Fame and Spark booster are great sellers, but since Behringer bought them, they are probably dumping the poorer sellers.

10. ak301

ak301 Member

Here' a vid of my mate demoing one

Though I prefer the Dark Matter

drgonzoguitar and amoodymule like this.
  11. FlyingsCool

FlyingsCool Member

man, and I just paid $70 for each used. What was I thinking. I need to research better....

Of course, the only one of the three I don't have, the Spark Booster, is still the same $114 price.... :-/

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  12. FlyingsCool

FlyingsCool Member

I just got my MojoMojo today... Played with it a little through a PODHD and kind of a weak clean tone so I can't really say that my results are real. But I'm thinking the same thing. I was hoping for more boost from it. Nor did it have the fullness of tone I was hoping to hear. But that could very well be the combo of my Les Paul and the amp setup I used on the POD. Then again, I might also need to have a better understanding of what it is meant for. Hopefully I can try it through my amp tomorrow.

Maybe it's more of a Strat pedal?

I'm trying to replace a BD-2 with something that can produce a smoother distortion than the BD-2 when I want to crank the drive, but give me some cleanish boost most of the time when I need to cut through....

13. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I owned the Dark Matter, which is a great Plexi Marshall flavoured pedal. I found the Mojo Mojo a little too dark for my taste.

14. Daka3

Daka3 Member

I had the Spark, and i loved it as a clean boost in my FX loop - while it lasted. The switch crapped out on me on the gig, leaving my chain cold. Not cool, TC. But great sound.

15. Imerkat

Imerkat Member

I have the TC Nova Drive which i have a love/hate relationship with. I remember watching the Anderton's review of the Mojo Mojo. At a point nothing the salesman said matched the sounds it was making, you can see it in the Captian's face (@4:20)