Mojohand BMP-1

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by birdsandbees, Jan 18, 2015.

1. birdsandbees

birdsandbees Member

Just picked up this pedal recently and it's one of the best muff variants I've owned in awhile. There is a slight issue though... I got it together with a Sunface TI/UK and while the Sunface stays relatively noise free (unless I do some crazy things with it), the BMP-1 gets really noisy when it's on - to the point where it's quite unplayable with the "fuzz" knob cranked.

Was hoping you people could shed some light on this issue! I power it with a PP2+. Pedalchain is as follows:

Sunface --> Polytune --> TS808 --> Dumkudo --> SL Drive --> BMP-1 --> Timeline

Cheers all!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer

2. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Supporting Member

How close is the BMP-1 to the PP2+? The Voodoo Lab supppies have an electromagnetic field around them that strongly effect high gain pedals. My BMP-1 is not noisy even when cranked, but if I move it too close to my VL supplies it gets noisy in a quick hurry. As does my other high gain pedals.

3. birdsandbees

birdsandbees Member

As i'm using a Pedaltrain JR, it is quite close to the PP2+, right beside it in fact. However, moving it away doesn't seem to make the humming go away (lifting it off the board). It's emanating a quite audible buzz which comes through the amp. Could it be that i'm too noise sensitive? I haven't had a fuzz on my board in awhile now and so i'm not sure how much noise is too much noise in this case. Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!

4. niassist

How close are the power cables to the patch cables? Anything like this is going to cause noise with pedals that amplify the signal such as a dirt pedal. Like I said my BMP-1 isn't really noisy at all unless I get it too close to the power supply.

5. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

FWIW, my BMP-1 is quiet, too.

I don't know what might be causing the noise, but it's not normal for this pedal in my experience.

6. birdsandbees

birdsandbees Member

Do you mean the cables connecting the pedals to the PP2+? If so i'd say they are quite close - although i've tied the up and tucked them under the board.

Thanks everyone for the help. The "noise" is quite tolerable with the "fuzz" knob at 3 o clock. Just a slight background buzz. It is significantly louder when cranked. Do your BMP-1s remain completely silent even when cranked?

I'm running into a '68 Custom Princeton if that might be the issue. Thanks so much guys, I really want to keep this pedal - it's great.

7. niassist

Do you mean the cables connecting the pedals to the PP2+? If so i'd say they are quite close - although i've tied the up and tucked them under the board.

Yep, you don't want any power supply cables running with your patch cables and again the closer the power supply is to the pedal the more noise.

Even when cranked mine is fairly quiet. And yes it is an AWESOME FUZZ!!!! I'm a huge Mojo Hand FX fanboy. I have a bunch of their stuff.

8. musica23

Just to be sure, I'll check mine out later today. I have a number of pedals and can't say which are dead quiet offhand, but I don't remember this one being noisy at any gain level. I'll let ya know!

9. birdsandbees

birdsandbees Member

Thanks so much for all the help!!

I understand what you mean but i'm not too sure how i'd go about accomplishing that! Especially since the BMP-1 has top mounted jacks. The power cable therefore sits just beside the patch cables (this is likely due to my incompetence in organising my board).

I've done some further testing - strangely enough, when I unplug the guitar and leave the pedal on, the buzzing sound from the amp is similar to when the guitar is plugged in, just about 10% louder. Additionally, whether the guitar is plugged in or not, turning the tone knob CW or CCW changes the "tone" of the buzzing from sharper with the tone turned up and more muffled with the tone turned down. Lowering the "fuzz" and "volume" decreases the buzzing sound.

I tried guitar --> BMP-1 --> timeline --> amp and the buzzing remains.

Strange things indeed! Hope to get this resolved :) thanks again all.

EDIT: Saw your comment about Mojo Hand FX and I must say - i've been very interested in their pedals for a long time. The BMP-1 is my first pedal by them but i've heard GREAT things about the Iron Bell and Colossus. I was initially interested in both of them but opted for the BMP-1 instead when I heard about it. I should really give those a go sometime!

10. musica23

I'll still let you know about my BMP-1's behavior later, but you might wanna contact Brad at Mojo Hand. He's a great guy and is very reasonable and helpful.

11. niassist

Are you using a guitar with true single coil pickups? If so, that's probably part of the problem. Good ol' 60 cycle hum from the pickups being amplified by the fuzz circuit of the BMP-1.

12. birdsandbees

birdsandbees Member

@musica23

That sounds like a brilliant idea - will drop him a mail and see what he has to say about it. Thanks a lot as well - look forward to seeing what your BMP-1 is like!

@niassist

I thought that as well, but unfortunately the issue is prevalent on my LP as well. So far i've tried out the BMP-1 with my Suhr and LP, the Suhr being H-S-H and the LP being H-H.

The buzzing increase is severely noticeable with the single coils on my Suhr. You do raise a good point though - my LP has unpotted PAF style pickups which might be an issue in this scenario.

Latest update - I just ripped the BMP-1 off my board, powered it with the PP2+ and ran LP --> BMP-1 --> Princeton with no major change in the buzzing. I'm about ready to live with the buzzing because it's such an amazing fuzz. But I won't give up hope just yet! I haven't dropped the idea as well that my amp may be the problem. It can be quite a noisy bugger - even on the Xotic SL Drive I can hear a slight (much fainter) but still barely audible background buzz with it on and the gain at 12 o clock. The Dumkudo is pretty much the only truly "silent" pedal that goes with the amp (it is a lower gain drive). The Sunface has less buzz/noise than the BMP-1 but it is definitely there when on (fuzz knob cranked).

All in all, thanks so much for the input guys! Looking forward to hearing from you knowledgeable folks if there's anything else I can do :)! Meanwhile, i'll keep messing around with my rig to see what I can discover.

13. birdsandbees

birdsandbees Member

Sorry for the double post - not sure how to edit images into my post. Attached a picture of my lovely BMP-1 and my not-so-neat pedalboard. Cheers guys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]