Mojotone 5E3 kit build

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BTB, Apr 22, 2016.

1. BTB

BTB Supporting Member

Well I finally pulled the trigger on this kit tonight. I have very limited experience with amp building, only recently completing a Mojotone 5F1 Champ build. Instructions from Mojotone were marginal at best (thank God for YouTube!) but components were organized and of avg. or better quality. Was leaning towards Mission, which received raving reviews, but it was almost 20% more with shipping, so ultimately went with Mojo.

Really excited about the build, anyone have Mojo 5E3 experience?

2. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

I built one a few years ago. No instructions were provided other than schem/layout. Very few kit sellers seemed to offer any instructions at that time. I guess they figured if you didn't know enough to build it from the schem and layout, you shouldn't be building one. I believe Marsh was also selling some rebranded Mojo kits
    and offered fairly detailed instructions; you might be able to download them still from his website. If you can build a 5F1 you shouldn't have any problems..just a bit more soldering and a lot more room to do it in.
    However, there's plenty of info out there on the Web if you need it.
    As far as the kits, the components are generally high quality, Heyboer transformers, solid cabs, etc. My main gripe with my 5E3 kit was the Sovtek "5Y3" rectifier(which bumped the plate voltage by 30 volts).

3. BTB

BTB Supporting Member

Thanks thosk. More room is definately a plus, the 5F1 was like building a ship in a bottle.

4. tele_player

tele_player Member

I expect you'll feel the same about 5E3.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  5. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

I'm towards the end of a 5e3+ from Tube Depot that uses a circuit board and has very detailed instructions. My only complaint is that they have you wire the tubes starting with the front so it is like the game Operation to get the back wires soldered without burning something. I have a Mod 102+ amp kits on the way. I want to be more confident in my skills before moving on to build more difficult amp.

Next amp I build I want eyelets or turrets board(s). I'm looking at a ToreVibe kit next and really want to build a 6G3 brown deluxe and a Blonde Bassman. However, it may cost as much to build a new Bassman as a clean vintage version.

6. garret

garret Member

I also built a Tube Depot kit.

Great circuit and you'll love it. But to give up the goods they do get very loud.

7. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Just be very careful of the lethal voltage inside a tube amp...they can bite you :( :).

8. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I've got a blonde Bassman headcab, chassis and boards sitting on my project bench that I lost motivation to work on. A fellow TGP'er (Mattbedrock) built a complete blonde Bassman from scratch and kindly sold me his back up build parts. Just needs transformers and guts. PM me if you have any interest.

More on topic, my first build was a Marsh 5e3. Great amp and goos instructions but after building one amp with instructions, I found any other amp largely follows the same process and I just like working from a good, clear layout now.

9. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

Hulakatt, I might be interested in buying your parts. I'm sick today, so no rush, but let me know what you have and how much you are asking.