Mojotone Pickup News!

Aceshighhhh

I'm thinking about replacing my set of BKP Black Hawks in my seven-string, and you guys have definitely caught my attention(Huge fan of Paul Waggoner).

I find my Black Hawk's to be a little harsh in the high end. They're currently installed in my seven-string with a maple neck and ash body - combo'd with D'addario strings equate to a super ice-picky high end :jo.

I'm looking for something tight, aggressive, and can handle a range of different genres. Currently looking at the PW Hornet and Black Magic.

How would you describe/differentiate the two and which would you recommend?

Mojo Tone

Gold Supporting Member
I'm thinking about replacing my set of BKP Black Hawks in my seven-string, and you guys have definitely caught my attention(Huge fan of Paul Waggoner).

I find my Black Hawk's to be a little harsh in the high end. They're currently installed in my seven-string with a maple neck and ash body - combo'd with D'addario strings equate to a super ice-picky high end :jo.

I'm looking for something tight, aggressive, and can handle a range of different genres. Currently looking at the PW Hornet and Black Magic.

How would you describe/differentiate the two and which would you recommend?
Hey I already replied to you in email but if anyone else is interested....
The PW Hornet would be my recommendation for your application. The Hornets have the tight aggressive lows and punchy fat highs. I designed them with Paul to work well with clean tones and also handle blistering aggressive tones as well.

Definitely a challenging design that went "outside of the box" compared to other designs. I used some design aspects of our Black Magics and our Level Heads to come up with the PW Hornet design. The Black Magics are great for someone who wants the warmth and dynamics of Alnico with some added mid range and sustain with the ceramic magnet. They don't track as well with fast picking or have the aggression and punch that the PW Hornets have. Both are amazing and extremely versatile. Neither design is a one trick pony.

Mojo Tone

Gold Supporting Member
You can't have consistent sounding handwound pickups without having total control over your tension and winding pattern! The Mojotone Hand Guided Tensioner helps you achieve perfect tension and control every time, without guessing or "going by feel" with just your fingers. We originally designed this tool for our own handwound pickups and pickup winders have been begging us to sell it.

Well now you have it, with it's lightweight and durable design, this tool weighs less than 4 ounces! Simply load the coil wire through the tensioner, set the desired tension, and wind at any speed without ever losing control or varying tension. It takes hand winding to a whole new level, making it easier and more enjoyable. Now you too can make consistent handwound pickups!

Mojo Tone

Gold Supporting Member
Two-Face Strat Pickups from Mojotone, are a revolutionary new pickup design that solves the age-old problem of Stratocaster pickups that wimp out on the low-end when faced with heavy distortion, while still preserving those clear, ringing, bell-like treble qualities that define classic Strat tone. Mojotone has achieved this remarkable duality by combining adjustable screw polepieces and bar magnets on the wound bass strings with classic Alnico 5 rod magnets on the treble strings. This gives the Two-Face pickups a punchy, P90-style bass response and clear, chiming high end, for an incredible balance and versatility never before seen in a single-coil Strat pickup, whether you're playing squeaky clean or down and dirty. Mojotone Two-Face Strat pickups are handmade in the USA, and feature fully vacuum-potted coils, vintage black and white cloth leads, and plain enamel wire.​

javcab08

Hello there!! I literally just found out about you guys building pickups!!
I know Mojotone it's been around for years. I apologize about just finding out.

Currently I have installed on my Ebmm Jpxi 7 Bare Knuckle Emeralds pickups. These, to my guitar : Ebony fretboard, stainless steel frets, Mahogany neck, bolt-on, Alder body/mahogany tone block/maple top, it's just too bright!! Yes, these pickups are great, but I get a really bright tone out of them.

I play modern metal to say the less, jazz, fusion really. Lots of cleans ala Holdsworth, mid to not so high gain leads as well ala Holdsworth, lots of legato, tapping, arpeggios ( sweeps ). Rhythm like chugchug, and chords with chug chug, mid to not so high gain. Looking for something versatile but that can do modern metal with a tight and not overly compressed sound to it.

I think that your Level Head pickups or the PW Hornets may help my guitar to have a crushing but articulate clear sound? As well
as tight not boomy bass ? I don't want masses of high output, I would love to keep the clarity and crunch but not so bright.

Any recommendations? thanks a lot. and definitely looking forward into supporting Mojotone.

Thanks.

Javier

Please listen to my demos.
soundcloud.com/javcab08

:JAM

Mojo Tone

Gold Supporting Member
Hello there!! I literally just found out about you guys building pickups!!
I know Mojotone it's been around for years. I apologize about just finding out.

Currently I have installed on my Ebmm Jpxi 7 Bare Knuckle Emeralds pickups. These, to my guitar : Ebony fretboard, stainless steel frets, Mahogany neck, bolt-on, Alder body/mahogany tone block/maple top, it's just too bright!! Yes, these pickups are great, but I get a really bright tone out of them.

I play modern metal to say the less, jazz, fusion really. Lots of cleans ala Holdsworth, mid to not so high gain leads as well ala Holdsworth, lots of legato, tapping, arpeggios ( sweeps ). Rhythm like chugchug, and chords with chug chug, mid to not so high gain. Looking for something versatile but that can do modern metal with a tight and not overly compressed sound to it.

I think that your Level Head pickups or the PW Hornets may help my guitar to have a crushing but articulate clear sound? As well
as tight not boomy bass ? I don't want masses of high output, I would love to keep the clarity and crunch but not so bright.

Any recommendations? thanks a lot. and definitely looking forward into supporting Mojotone.

Thanks.

Javier

Please listen to my demos.
soundcloud.com/javcab08

:JAM
Hi Javier! I'm glad you found us! From what you are describing, the PW Hornets would fit the bill perfectly. They have the crunch and clarity without being overly bright or boomy. You will be surprised I'm sure of it. Everyone who gets these has been blown away and I'm not just hyping or exaggerating either. If you have any more questions please let me know and we appreciate your support!

javcab08

Hi Javier! I'm glad you found us! From what you are describing, the PW Hornets would fit the bill perfectly. They have the crunch and clarity without being overly bright or boomy. You will be surprised I'm sure of it. Everyone who gets these has been blown away and I'm not just hyping or exaggerating either. If you have any more questions please let me know and we appreciate your support!
Hi.
Thank you very much for your advice.
I was thinking Level Head bridge with a Black Magic neck for my Jpxi 7.

Would the PW Hornet Bridge pair well with a Black Magic neck?

Thanks again. Definitely looking forward to these !!

:band

Mojo Tone

Gold Supporting Member
Hi.
Thank you very much for your advice.
I was thinking Level Head bridge with a Black Magic neck for my Jpxi 7.

Would the PW Hornet Bridge pair well with a Black Magic neck?

Thanks again. Definitely looking forward to these !!

:band
Sure thing! The PW Hornet design was something of a hybrid between the Black Magic and Level Head design. The Black Magic would definitely sound great in the neck with the PW Hornet in the bridge, however I think the PW Hornet neck pickup would match better tonally and cosmetically. It uses an Alnico and ceramic blend just like the Black Magic on the neck pickup.

javcab08

Sure thing! The PW Hornet design was something of a hybrid between the Black Magic and Level Head design. The Black Magic would definitely sound great in the neck with the PW Hornet in the bridge, however I think the PW Hornet neck pickup would match better tonally and cosmetically. It uses an Alnico and ceramic blend just like the Black Magic on the neck pickup.
Hi. I didn't knew the magnets were the same as in the black magic pickups.
I hope these fit on my Jpxi 7 cavities.

Much appreciated.
Javier.

Mojo Tone

Gold Supporting Member
Hi. I didn't knew the magnets were the same as in the black magic pickups.
I hope these fit on my Jpxi 7 cavities.

Much appreciated.
Javier.
Yes it will if you select our "Direct" mounting option. We build our 7 string pickups on 3 different mounting frames depending on the guitar and its rout. EMG, Direct, or standard. We are the only pickup manufacturer that does this too I believe.

javcab08

HI again.

I have another guitar, this one has HSH configuration for pickups.
I don't know how to go for the Single pickup that's in between the two humbuckers.
It's an Ibanez S970WRW Premium, here: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg...=3&cat_id=1&series_id=3&data_id=77&color=CL01

So it has a wenge/bubinga neck, mahogany body with a rosewood top.
I'm also looking at either the Level heads or PW Hornets but I don't know how to go for the middle pickup? :dunno

This may have to wait though because I'll like to upgrade my Ebmm Jpxi 7 first from Bareknuckle Emeralds to Mojotone PW Hornets as these were recommended.

For the S970WRW I'm looking for a more open fusion sound. Since this guitar would be mostly used for standard tuning and teaching.

Thanks a lot to the people at Mojotone!!

Javier.

Mojo Tone

Gold Supporting Member
HI again.

I have another guitar, this one has HSH configuration for pickups.
I don't know how to go for the Single pickup that's in between the two humbuckers.
It's an Ibanez S970WRW Premium, here: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg...=3&cat_id=1&series_id=3&data_id=77&color=CL01

So it has a wenge/bubinga neck, mahogany body with a rosewood top.
I'm also looking at either the Level heads or PW Hornets but I don't know how to go for the middle pickup? :dunno

This may have to wait though because I'll like to upgrade my Ebmm Jpxi 7 first from Bareknuckle Emeralds to Mojotone PW Hornets as these were recommended.

For the S970WRW I'm looking for a more open fusion sound. Since this guitar would be mostly used for standard tuning and teaching.

Thanks a lot to the people at Mojotone!!

Javier.
Hi Javier,

I hope you had a great holiday weekend! A lot of folks really love using our Knockout strat pickup in the middle position. It sounds great with 250k or 500k pots and it has the output and attack to hang with those humbuckers.

Mojo Tone

Gold Supporting Member
New Mojotone Gold Foil pickup video! These distinctive single-coil guitar pickups, made famous by players like Ry Cooder, are exact recreations of the vintage Japanese-made gold foils from the '60s, improved by Mojo Tone's passion for consistency, detail, and quality. Each part has been custom made to precise original specifications, including the unique rubberized magnets and 44 gauge wire that made this style of pickup so special, lending them an authentically vintage sonic signature defined by unparalleled clarity, upper harmonic complexity, and string separation. Mojo Tone Gold Foils are available for bridge, neck, and middle positions, in gold or silver foil with nickel covers, and all come stock with 2-conductor wire for avoiding phase issues when mixing and matching with other pickups. ​

Mojo Tone

Gold Supporting Member
For the entire month of April we are including a FREE Tele 4-way mod or Tele 3-way standard prewired harness with the purchase of any Mojotone Tele pickup set! Just add the items to your cart and enter promo code "teletubby" during checkout to get the harness for free. Besides, whats the point of replacing your pickups with the highest quality Mojotone pickups without doing the same for the electronics? Nothing sounds better! :aok

Mojo Tone

Gold Supporting Member
For the entire month of April we are including a FREE Tele 4-way mod or Tele 3-way standard prewired harness with the purchase of any Mojotone Tele pickup set! Just add the items to your cart and enter promo code "teletubby" during checkout to get the harness for free. Besides, whats the point of replacing your pickups with the highest quality Mojotone pickups without doing the same for the electronics? Nothing sounds better! :aok
Bump......

Mojo Tone

Gold Supporting Member
Bump.....

Mojo Tone

Gold Supporting Member
We've been making them for years for people who ask, and now we offer them as one of our standard winds. The all new "Hot '59 Clone" and "Hot Classic" humbuckers with your choice of magnet, lead, and color. These are available in sets or singles for those who want a vintage tone, but with more authority on the bridge position.
http://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/HumbuckerPickups_x/Mojotone-Classic-Hot-Humbucker-Pickup
http://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/HumbuckerPickups_x/Mojotone-59-Clone-Hot-Humbucker-Pickup

redgold

Silver Supporting Member
Just went to chime in and say the mojotone clones have become my first choice for my LPs. Boutique options and tones at a very reasonable price.

Trending Topics