MojoVibe vs. DejaVibe???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jimfog, Jul 18, 2006.

1. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

I'm sure this has been done, but......

What are the pros and cons of each?

Why should I buy one over the other?

Any thoughts?

Not for heavy use....just an occasional color.

Thanks!

- Jim

2. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Senior Member

3. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I'm debating on wether or not to get a Fulltone Chorolflange or electric mistriss. The electro harmanix I've has and loved in the past. I've heard the flange part of the Fulltone wasn't that great. The dejevibe is awesome as those clips demonstrate.

4. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I have both and they sound about the same with my setup.I don't use it all that much. The mojo is smaller/lighter, the deja has some additional adjustments on the outside of the box. I would rather deal with Bob Sweet (mojo), he is very responsive to emails. I use whatever fits on my board at the time, currently it is the Effectrode TubeVibe.

5. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have twenty vibes, including the Mojo Vibe and the Deja Vibe, Deja Vibe 2. The difference is the Fulltone is a thicker chewier kind of vibe. I personally dig the Sweet Sound Ultra Vibe. If you want a very pronounced vibe, which really takes over your tone, get the Fulltone. More players I know who have played both typically buy the Mojo Vibe, but a few lean towards the Fulltone. Both have intensity knobs so can control the amount of vibe you get, but the basic tone is different and that gets back to the texture of the vibe. What players do you like the most, if you want a very forward sounding vibe get the Fulltone, but the Mojo can get there too. The Mojo has more clarity to the effect than get you more of a chorus tone when needed.

TheGrooveking

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Surprised no one mentioned the Mojovibe has an expression pedal out, the Mini vibe doesn't.

I have both. I first bought the mini-vibe, liked it, BUT it thinned out my tone too much. Asked Mike Fuller about it and got "fullerized"....basically belittled ("NO one complains it is too thin, the complaints I get are it is too DARK!! Don't Tell me you are using it in the effects loop????") (I wasn't..but then again, why the hell not...I DID then and it actually sounded better).

Main thing, I was using it with depth under 12 o'clock, wanting more ambience, etc. Also Hendrixy sounds like in "Who Knows" etc.

Anyway, it also had a tendancy if not careful to get into that Isley sound from "Who's That Lady" which i really can't stand.

So after reading up and seeing lots of places where folks said the Mojovibe was more Hendrixy and richer in bottom end...I bought one and it is truly the one I want for Chorusy-vibe. It does it all, fantastic.

BUT...a side note. For songs like Hendrixes "Hey Baby", I found out I LOVE the vibrato mode on the Deja Mini Vibe best of all...subtle or really in your face it sounds great!

They both are damned good pedals. More control with the Mojovibe (not just expression pedal, but I feel like the speed control has a better range).
    Bob Sweet is a great guy to deal with, Mike is moody and treats some folks great, some not, and can be a Jekyll & Hyde...so IF you get a mini-vibe, maybe it would be smart to buy it from a dealer who promises to provide support, in case of problems, let him/her deal with Mike.

Just to confuse the issue, there is also a brand I haven't tried yet, but hear really good things which is the KR Products Megavibe.

I honestly think, in general the Mojovibe is a good deal better than the mini-vibe, but on the other hand, I am VERY glad I own them both.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thats kinda what I touched on too....you call it more "Thicker and chewier" but I found that using it like I do, with the depth under 12 o'clock the Deja thinned out way more than the Mojo does. It's a whole other ball game when (in chorus mode of course) you start setting it above say...2 o'clock, then the Deja becomes darker, the Mojo doesn't seem to me to vary as much. For me Mojo is the better choice because of that, but for others that could be a really good feature that it darkens more with depth set higher.

8. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Member

I have a KR Mega Vibe and it suits me better than all the others I've tried - Fulltone, Mayer Voodoo Vibe, Mojo Vibe. They're all pretty good and sound very similar but the KR sounds the best in my rig.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I've heard repeated mention that the Megavibe also sounds right almost no matter where you put it (before OD, last in the chain, etc.) and doesn't interfere with other pedals.

But, maybe you could go into a little more detail about what you like about it compared to the Deja and Mojo's?

10. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

fwiw, i found the same thing. it's not a bad pedal, i just wanted something super-thick and fat. i though the mojo was much thicker and seemed to be voiced deeper than the deja, which i happened to like. (that's based on a couple of the deja'2s and the normal deja-vibe).

11. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I've gotten many-a-compliment on my UniVibe tone that I get from the FT mini-Deja-Vibe. And the ability to control the voltage I was able to get very close to my origional UniVibe. Just not quite as deep as the UniVibe. But about 1% off so I don't worry about it.

12. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I just got a Mojovibe and really love the tone. It replaced a Dunlop and sounds a bit "richer". I have to say that I avoided the Fulltone due to stories about his customer service. I sent a couple of emails to Bob Sweet and got quick responses.

Oh yeah, the swirly paint job made it irresistible!

13. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Are the old Mojo Vibes as good as the newer ones?

14. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

GROVE and STOMP pretty much covered everything, I'm sorry if I offend anyone here but, Mike is a jerk! I had the same issue with his vibe, thought he might offer some tweaking advice but I guess he knows what I like, anyway sold that after doing an A/B with a His and a Mojo against my original Shin Uni-vibe. In a nutshell the Fulltone was a bit to thin on the top of the swirl and a little to jagged...The Mojo was a bit more in the ballpark with the lighter Shin settings ..I like the smoother Mojo..niether was able to truly compete with the Shin however..I'm also a Trower freak! and don't perticularly like Robins tone right now, his old rig consisted of not one fulltone..

o.k.........I'm done bashing Mike, Mike, I love your OCD!!:rolleyes:

15. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

Vibes=Bob Sweet. And yes, he's quite the swell guy. Exceedingly, remarkably, extraordinarily, outstandingly so.

16. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have both the Sweet Ultra Vibe and the Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe. Both different (Ultra = 'vintage', RM = 'modern'), both great.

17. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

I've had a couple each of the Mojo and Deja. For the life of me I cannot get a thick sound out of the Fulltone. The tone I want is basically, no surprise here, "Machine Gun" and "Bridge of Sighs." Every time I hear somebody do one of these tunes in a clip with the Deja I wonder how the hell they got that sound... maybe you must have a Marshall or some 34-type amp to make it work. I play through BF Fender-style gear, so maybe that's it. The Mojo definitely sounds thicker and fuller to my ears. That said, I prefer the form factor of the mini-Deja. I actually thought about having someone transfer the guts from the Sweet into the Fuller box, but gave that up when I realized I was taking my obsessions a little too far. I need to focus on my playing more...lol

18. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Member

When I think of my ultimate vibe tone, the tone that first turned me on to the effect itself, I think of Hendrix's Band Of Gypsys era sound. Live sets like BOG, Maui, Atlanta '70, where Hendrix's gear was cooperating decently, have this killer depth and throb to the vibe that seem to be missing from other vibes. At least in conjunction with the rest of my gear. All the vibes I've tried gave me a lot of the cool vibe sounds I like today (Julien Kasper, Mike Landau, etc., even Trower) but the Hendrix vibe sound is different to my ears and the Mega gets it.

The RM Voodoo Vibe is great and real versatile (the tremolo effect is killer) but it had so many knobs and took up a lot of space on the board. Plus I was able to sell it for real close to what I got it for. It's a pretty pricey unit. The vibe sound itself didn't quite have all the throb I wanted. It was dead silent though. The RM has a bit of noise, but totally worth it to get the sound I like.

The Mojo is great too as is the gold Deja. I can't say anything bad about them. The Mega just gave me more of what I want.

As far as the Mega placement and pedal interference - to me it acts like any other vibe does. At least in my rig.

The one difference I know of is that the Mojo can run on a standard 9v power supply. The KR Mega comes with its own 12v power supply. Not sure if there is any sort of difference there that would affect the sound.

The cool thing is that there are a tons of great vibes out there to compare. I'd love to try the Effectrode unit, or the Black Cat vibe.

19. tikalcity

tikalcity Member

I've got a golden Deja Vibe and pretty satisfied with it, both chorus and vibrato mode.
    i've tried DV with several amps, Marshall 900, Koch Twintone, several Fender amps (Hot rod, Twin,Tremolux, etc). seems to break up better w/ EL 34 amps, to my hears -

I feel DV is a dark pedal, but I'm using guitars with humbuckers (Gibson, Epip, Aria ibanez etc.) all the time. I wonder if some of you playing single coil things the same OR if it's not matter of pickups.

To Fulltone owners: which DV edition has internal trimmer, and where it should be located? there seems to be none on mine.

20. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Remember the new Deja Vibes have more output, and more throb after he made some changes because of people complaining that they could not get enough output and throb. The Robin Trower adition was the first to have this, then he made it standard on all the mini Deja-Vibes. So if you try a new one you might be surprised. But my favorite is the Megavibe also..