• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Money Grab Tours

I don’t have much desire to see shows these days. Everything’s overpriced.

(disclaimer- I have no qualms about paying enough to support artists I like so they can make a living and continue their craft, because for whatever reason, the world decided it was ok for recording artists to not be able to make an income by creating music anymore. Authors, painters, actors, directors, anyone with a creative output in an artistic medium gets paid generally on a level that’s commensurate with their popularity or volume of sales. But NOT musicians. Why? IDK. Just how it is now.
But, I digress.)

In general, everything’s overpriced, plus rude and inconsiderate people who are unable to simply enjoy the moment that they’re in, SUCK, with their phones out up in the air the whole ******* time, or talking over everything. So stupid. Don’t even get me started on mosh pits.

BUT...

If I do go see a show, I want to see someone who’s still vital, and creating/performing because they need/love doing it, it’s part of who they are. They don’t have to be in their ‘prime’ necessarily, but they need to be honestly enjoying it, and doing from the heart and with their soul, because it MEANS something to them.

Don’t care about seeing anyone who’s clearly doing a money grab, and just going through the motions, playing their songs from 30 or more years ago with the help of backing tracks or extra musicians to get it done with any modicum of sounding close to the way it should.

People eat it up, because why? Nostalgia, and also just so they can say they were there. Or it’s a bucket list thing. But really? If I’d never seen Aerosmith, would I want to go to a show to see them perform now, like they did at the Grammy Awards? Just so I can say I saw them? Motley Crue? (Not a fan, btw, but they’re another good example). Is this how I want to remember them? Again, this isn’t necessarily about age.

I most definitely appreciate 70’s era Fleetwood Mac, but you couldn’t pay me to attend one of their shows now. They’re all clearly so bored and uninspired on stage, but the crowd still goes NUTS when Stevie Nicks randomly decides it’s time to spin around in a circle.

Just being at such a show would erode my soul a little, let alone reveling in such farcical and contrived phoniness. Does that make me jaded and cynical?

This is not intended to offend anyone.(And I hope it doesn’t.) Just my opinion, which is no more valid than anyone else’s. You may have a different perspective on the matter.

Peace.

Last edited:
Definitely not knocking reunion shows as a whole. Can easily see Sleep or GBV being great shows. Not familiar with Soft boys

(disclaimer- I have no qualms about paying enough to support artists I like so they can make a living and continue their craft, because for whatever reason, the world decided it was ok for recording artists to not be able to make an income by creating music anymore. Authors, painters, actors, directors, anyone with a creative output in an artistic medium gets paid generally on a level that’s commensurate with their popularity or volume of sales. But NOT musicians. Why? IDK. Just how it is now.
But, I digress.)

In general, everything’s overpriced, plus rude and inconsiderate people who are unable to simply enjoy the moment that they’re in, SUCK, with their phones out up in the air the whole ******* time, or talking over everything. So stupid. Don’t even get me started on mosh pits.

BUT...

If I do go see a show, I want to see someone who’s still vital, and creating/performing because they need/love doing it, it’s part of who they are. They don’t have to be in their ‘prime’ necessarily, but they need to be honestly enjoying it, and doing from the heart and with their soul, because it MEANS something to them.

Don’t care about seeing anyone who’s clearly doing a money grab, and just going through the motions, playing their songs from 30 or more years ago with the help of backing tracks or extra musicians to get it done with any modicum of sounding close to the way it should.

People eat it up, because why? Nostalgia, and also just so they can say they were there. Or it’s a bucket list thing. But really? If I’d never seen Aerosmith, would I want to go to a show to see them perform now, like they did at the Grammy Awards? Just so I can say I saw them? Motley Crue? (Not a fan, btw, but they’re another good example). Is this how I want to remember them? Again, this isn’t necessarily about age.

I most definitely appreciate 70’s era Fleetwood Mac, but you couldn’t pay me to attend one of their shows. They’re all clearly so bored and uninspired on stage, but the crowd still goes NUTS when Stevie Nicks randomly decides it’s time to spin around in a circle. “WHOOO! OMG! Did you see that? She spun around! OMG, that was so awesome!”

Just being at such a show would erode my soul a little, let alone reveling in such farcical and contrived phoniness. Does that make me jaded and cynical?

This is not intended to offend anyone.(And I hope it doesn’t.) Just my opinion, which is no more valid than anyone else’s. You may have a different perspective on the matter.

Peace.
I think it was great when Fleetwood reunited for the "first" time for The Dance concert in the late '90s and there was real enthusiasm there and they sounded better than ever live. But it's a cash cow at this point by very old, tired people going through the motions. And yes, I'm a bit cynical about cash cow tours. :facepalm

Buck Private

But, I digress.)

BUT...

I most definitely appreciate 70’s era Fleetwood Mac, but you couldn’t pay me to attend one of their shows. They’re all clearly so bored and uninspired on stage, but the crowd still goes NUTS when Stevie Nicks randomly decides it’s time to spin around in a circle. “WHOOO! OMG! Did you see that? She spun around! OMG, that was so awesome!”

Peace.
I simply refuse to pay a hundred bucks to watch former band mates who hate each other's guts do a "reunion" show. Or when some sixty something coke freak who burned through all the money, slaps together some hired guns to run through the hits. You're definitely right about audiences. Who needs to hear five thousand drunks singing along,while some dip____ lead singer encourages them. Concerts seem to be more about working the audience into a frenzy. Contrived,phony stage antics,geez...

Huh, why? I'd say those people genuinely have passion for the music and are enjoying themselves. Also, its high energy and the band themselves feed off of that energy.
Point taken. I guess while I love the reciprocal exchange of energy that happens, it seems that some of those peeps are not there to take in the performance so much as they are to just beat others up under the guise of moshing. I love seeing a mass horde of people jumping in unison to some heavy music.

Larry Eh?

Maybe shows are overpriced because music is "underpriced". Bands used to make no profit touring just to promote album sales. Now music recordings are almost given away and freely and easily shared so artists have to charge enough for concerts in order to make a living from their craft. :dunno

Maybe shows are overpriced because music is "underpriced". Bands used to make no profit touring just to promote album sales. Now music recordings are almost given away and freely and easily shared so artists have to charge enough for concerts in order to make a living from their craft. :dunno

Totally agree. To be clear, the point of this thread is not to deride bands that have to tour to make enough money to make a living and keep it going. I realize ticket and merchandise sales are now the only real viable source of revenue. Which is fundamentally wrong on many levels. This was somewhat addressed in the 1st post.

Matt Sarad

Mayer and Company are an interesting mix of old and new. Micky Hart hasn’t executed a drum roll in years. Billy Kreutzman keeps the beat simple, too old to play with the fire he had in ‘72. Blob Weird has a one octave range and it seems his guitar is so trebly to make up for his hearing loss.

So you have Mayer, Oteil,and Chimenti to keep it going.

Then you have exorbitant ticket prices, VIP packages, overpriced merch, and I’m done now.

Last edited:

Trending Topics