Money Grab Tours

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Fantastic cook, Mar 24, 2020 at 9:28 AM.

1. Fantastic cook

Fantastic cook Member

I don’t have much desire to see shows these days. Everything’s overpriced.

(disclaimer- I have no qualms about paying enough to support artists I like so they can make a living and continue their craft, because for whatever reason, the world decided it was ok for recording artists to not be able to make an income by creating music anymore. Authors, painters, actors, directors, anyone with a creative output in an artistic medium gets paid generally on a level that’s commensurate with their popularity or volume of sales. But NOT musicians. Why? IDK. Just how it is now.
    But, I digress.)

In general, everything’s overpriced, plus rude and inconsiderate people who are unable to simply enjoy the moment that they’re in, SUCK, with their phones out up in the air the whole ******* time, or talking over everything. So stupid. Don’t even get me started on mosh pits.

BUT...

If I do go see a show, I want to see someone who’s still vital, and creating/performing because they need/love doing it, it’s part of who they are. They don’t have to be in their ‘prime’ necessarily, but they need to be honestly enjoying it, and doing from the heart and with their soul, because it MEANS something to them.

Don’t care about seeing anyone who’s clearly doing a money grab, and just going through the motions, playing their songs from 30 or more years ago with the help of backing tracks or extra musicians to get it done with any modicum of sounding close to the way it should.

People eat it up, because why? Nostalgia, and also just so they can say they were there. Or it’s a bucket list thing. But really? If I’d never seen Aerosmith, would I want to go to a show to see them perform now, like they did at the Grammy Awards? Just so I can say I saw them? Motley Crue? (Not a fan, btw, but they’re another good example). Is this how I want to remember them? Again, this isn’t necessarily about age.

I most definitely appreciate 70’s era Fleetwood Mac, but you couldn’t pay me to attend one of their shows now. They’re all clearly so bored and uninspired on stage, but the crowd still goes NUTS when Stevie Nicks randomly decides it’s time to spin around in a circle.

Just being at such a show would erode my soul a little, let alone reveling in such farcical and contrived phoniness. Does that make me jaded and cynical?

This is not intended to offend anyone.(And I hope it doesn’t.) Just my opinion, which is no more valid than anyone else’s. You may have a different perspective on the matter.

Peace.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020 at 11:21 AM
  2. Jorge E aka ricv64

Jorge E aka ricv64 Member

Some reunion shows have been great , The Soft Boys , SLEEP, Guided by Voices (classic line up) for example . Others ok, The Animals circa 83 or 4, for example and others as nothing more then a rent party . Alot of punk bands are guilty of this . I suspect alot of the jam bands tooo just selling nostalgia to people wishing they were seeing the Dead .

3. Fantastic cook

Fantastic cook Member

Definitely not knocking reunion shows as a whole. Can easily see Sleep or GBV being great shows. Not familiar with Soft boys

4. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

I think it was great when Fleetwood reunited for the "first" time for The Dance concert in the late '90s and there was real enthusiasm there and they sounded better than ever live. But it's a cash cow at this point by very old, tired people going through the motions. And yes, I'm a bit cynical about cash cow tours. :facepalm

5. ahhlou

ahhlou Member

People vote with their money. Apparently some have a different opinion...

6. Jorge E aka ricv64

Jorge E aka ricv64 Member

their best known song from that tour ....they then did a new album which was very good toured that then disbanded mid tour

7. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

Huh, why? I'd say those people genuinely have passion for the music and are enjoying themselves. Also, its high energy and the band themselves feed off of that energy.

8. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

All bands tour to make money...if you don't want to see one...don't.

9. Buck Private

Buck Private Member

I simply refuse to pay a hundred bucks to watch former band mates who hate each other's guts do a "reunion" show. Or when some sixty something coke freak who burned through all the money, slaps together some hired guns to run through the hits. You're definitely right about audiences. Who needs to hear five thousand drunks singing along,while some dip____ lead singer encourages them. Concerts seem to be more about working the audience into a frenzy. Contrived,phony stage antics,geez...

10. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I was “all in” on seeing the Black Crowes this summer... then I read Gorman’s book. I won’t give the Robinson boys my money.

jbviper4, Lt Dak, Abram4235 and 7 others like this.
  11. Buck Private

Buck Private Member

There may be passion in mosh pits,but it's not about music. It's about idiots who don't give a damn about anyone else's ability to enjoy a show while they act like morons.

12. Fantastic cook

Fantastic cook Member

Point taken. I guess while I love the reciprocal exchange of energy that happens, it seems that some of those peeps are not there to take in the performance so much as they are to just beat others up under the guise of moshing. I love seeing a mass horde of people jumping in unison to some heavy music.

stratohiker, Jabberwocky and JPH118 like this.
  13. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

That's a blunt and closed minded way to look at it.

14. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

There used to be a comraderie in moshing, and that the focus was energy but never injury. When someone fell down, a half dozen guys would help him up.

That was a long time ago though, maybe the modern version is different.

15. Larry Eh?

Larry Eh? Member

Maybe shows are overpriced because music is "underpriced". Bands used to make no profit touring just to promote album sales. Now music recordings are almost given away and freely and easily shared so artists have to charge enough for concerts in order to make a living from their craft. :dunno

nomadh, LoadedGoat, Zandalf and 17 others like this.
  16. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

I was hoping the Testament/Death Angel tour would make it to NorCal.
    Ugh.

17. Fantastic cook

Fantastic cook Member

Totally agree. To be clear, the point of this thread is not to deride bands that have to tour to make enough money to make a living and keep it going. I realize ticket and merchandise sales are now the only real viable source of revenue. Which is fundamentally wrong on many levels. This was somewhat addressed in the 1st post.

Zandalf and AuntieDiluvian like this.
  18. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Member

I’m glad there are no forums where people log in and describe my coming into the office today as another soulless, uninspired cash grab.

Balok, Jim Jones, nomadh and 41 others like this.
  19. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I don't like bands that have become a tribute or parody of their former selves.:confused:

I don't like it when people in your industry are working and don't have their heart in it either. ;)

Zandalf, Abram4235, Litterick and 7 others like this.
  20. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Member

Mayer and Company are an interesting mix of old and new. Micky Hart hasn’t executed a drum roll in years. Billy Kreutzman keeps the beat simple, too old to play with the fire he had in ‘72. Blob Weird has a one octave range and it seems his guitar is so trebly to make up for his hearing loss.

So you have Mayer, Oteil,and Chimenti to keep it going.

Then you have exorbitant ticket prices, VIP packages, overpriced merch, and I’m done now.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 11:50 AM