Monitors...what are you using?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by PRSkeeto, Aug 4, 2004.

1. PRSkeeto

PRSkeeto Member

Well it's time to upgrade my studio monitors. I currently use a set of Alesis Monitor ones, and while they have served me well enough, I'm getting more serious with my studio/recording and think better monitors are the next step. I'd like to stay under 1K, but will consider anything close new or used.

I've heard a few reccomendations around here (Les and his Mackie HR624's) but would like to get more perspectives too. SO tell me whatcha got, what to look for, things to consider, but most of all whats good!

Thanks!,
    Mike

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I have a pair of the Event 20/20 bas monitors. I like them, but some don't care for them.

If I were shopping today I would look hard at the Mackie's, but would probably save my pennies for some Genelecs.

The best recommendation is to grab some of your favorite CD's and audition the monitors. I spent a lot of time auditioning before getting the Events and compared them to monitors costing lots more and lots less. For my budget and ears, they were the best fit.

Bryan

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

If I were in the market I'd be looking at KRK, active V8's or the for nearfields KRok or Rockits.

Great sounding monitors that won't flatter your mixes or pund you with sub-bass.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

The only KRK's I've ever heard that I like to work with are these, but they're huge.

Thanks to a disgruntled ad guy in Motown I got hip to Mackie HR624s, and I'm freaking nuts about them. They are so easy to mix with it's scary... I keep expecting that I'm hearing something wrong, but I'm not. They just work.

5. Boogs

Boogs Member

i use the Tannoy Reveal passives with a decent consumer amp. great detail, very nuetral, non-fatigueing, mixes translate very well. of course, for the price, there has to be some trade-off, and in this case it's less deep bass - though i'm happy for the midrange accuracy and don't mind chacking for over-bassiness on my Mirage hi-fi's.

if i had to do it again, with the same budget, i'd probably get the Reveals again - though i'd check out the M-Audio BX8's for sure!

6. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

I use the passive Event 20/20's. They have worked well for my price range for a few years now. I would really like to check out the new active Events. They look super sweet!

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I run Dynaudio BM6A's; outta your price range but utterly worth every single penny they cost IMHO.

In your price range I'd be all about Mackie. Seriously.

8. Tim Z

Tim Z Member

I'm using the Event 20/20 bas, but if I could start again I would not choose these speakers. They sound nice, but they don't translate the best. If I could afford them I would get the Blue Sky's. Or, for the price, I would prefer Mackie HR824's or 624's over the 20/20 bas.

Cheers

T

9. fatang

fatang Member

A lot to be said for all the suggestions so far, so much of the selection has to do with the style of music, the rest of the rig and the size of the room.

The HRs are both popular and really good, I've had a few folks moving to the Genelec 8030s and others having success with Tannoys active in a smaller room. I'm really fond of the Adam's but they're well out of your (and my) price range.

I'd really need to know more to be more specific but you're getting great suggestions here.

Robert

10. Boogs

Boogs Member

man, would i love to check some Dynaudio's out! in fact, the first review i read of the Reveals, while very positive, had to qualify it with the statement that they sounded wooly in comparison to one of the Dynaudio BM-somethings. doh!

oh well, like i said... given the budget, i did pretty good. ;)

11. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

At home Tannoy Jupiter 2's from the early 90's.

At work Dynaudio M3's

12. PintoMusic

PintoMusic Member

I'm actually selling a pair of Yamaha NS10M's. I actually had them up on eBay but the buyer flaked out on me. I might just relist them though.

13. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

>>I've heard a few reccomendations around here (Les and his Mackie HR624's) but would like to get more perspectives too.<<

I like these a lot, because they are easy to mix on, and translate well; maybe they're like the NS-10s of the 2000s.

I had a terrific sounding pair of Genelec 1031As, but I was actually having a more difficult time getting the low end right than I do with the Mackies; I think it was probably room anomalies, since they do sound a lot more detailed, but I sold them anyway (and bought more guitar stuff ;)).

I may add a pair of PMC monitors out of England, they sound accurate, but I need to hear them in my own room to figure out what I want. Genelec has a new series of cast aluminum monitors that also look interesting. Of course, both are out of the price point you're thinking about.

14. oldgtarz

oldgtarz Member

I use T+A, KBX70 Hi-end bookshelf/monitors, very hard to find expensive (but great!) German speaker. My power source is a Denon PMA 880r and everything is connected with Hi-end cables (Oehlbach, MIT, Monster). For reference I have a set of early 80's IMF compact's, which I got from my dad after he upgraded to handbuilt Lambda colom speakers.
    I've had these IMF for ages and I know them really well. The T+A's are a different story all together... Ever heard of liquid audio? Well, I know where it comes from! The highs are so beautifull, not schrill or annoying. I can work on them all day, and still spend the evening listening to music.
    In my living room I have a Big T+A active set, top of the line with electrostat's and TSL's, way to expensive for me, but I got lucky... Source is a hi-end Toshiba DVD player (soon to be replaced by a Hi-End DVD recorder/SACD player), into Musical Fidelity X-PRE (tube preamp), into the T+A's.
    The sounds in my living room are so awesome... like the band or singer is actually in the living room... Most impressive are great acoustic guitar recordings,it actually sounds like there's someone playing in my room (Roger Waters-Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, Eric Clapton playing acoustic slide!!)
    Beware: Do not get involved in Hi-End Audio unless you have a big bag of cash hidden in the basement!!
    I got both T+A sets and the Denon second hand (who can afford $6500 for 2 speakers???)

15. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    Genelec 1030A - The Work Horse
    Yamaha NS 10M - The other workhorse
    Minima 7 - lots o' fun
    My Car - with the wimdows open

16. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Hey- very hip looking studio you've got there (and I dig Pink Martini).

17. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Cool studio, Kung!

Has a nice vibe.

18. bjm007

bjm007 Member

The big Mackies... They are the best near fields I've ever heard :D

19. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Also a Mackie HR824 user.

20. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

I am using Alesis Monitor One's. They have worked very well for me.