Mono Betty Guitarstraps for shoulder problems??

Seegs

Anyone have one...they look cool and I've been using 4" Comfort Bass and NeoTech neoprene straps in addition to weight lifting with decent success but am always looking for a better mousetrap...

http://www.monocase.com/store/pc/Betty-Guitar-Strap-p42.htm

These any better or worse than the Comfort straps for those with bum left shoulders?

Chow,
Seegs

Last edited:

Gene46

I have a Betty and I play guitar. Not too sure about the other materials, but I find my ultra-suede to be hot as hell. It doesn't move around at all because of the material, but it doesn't particulaly breathe well either and if you're playing a gig under the spotlight, I would imagine it would get hot pretty quickly, not to mention having to deal with perspiration and all that. Not to sure about the other materials. Its also very wide and is pretty heavy, which you may be ok with, but I realize it just doesn't work for me.

I ended up buying a bunch of 2.5" leather and hootnanny straps from Jodihead. Hopefully they work out.

My advice is to try before you buy. YMMV

Seegs

Thanks for sharing your experiences Gene...I am mostly interested in this because of a bad shoulder so I went ahead and ordered a black sharkskin...short (should weigh a bit less than the long one) strap to try and see if it offers more comfort than my comfort bass strap...

Chow,
Seegs

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for sharing your experiences Gene...I am mostly interested in this because of a bad shoulder so I went ahead and ordered a black sharkskin...short (should weigh a bit less than the long one) strap to try and see if it offers more comfort than my comfort bass strap...

Chow,
Seegs
Please post your response when you get the strap. I'm always on the lookout for a comfortable, wide, weight relieving straps.

So far the Levy's Neoprene and NeoTech MegaBass straps work pretty well for me, although the Levy's at it's shortest is too long for some of my instruments.

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
Got one for my father in law for christmas, he LOVES it. Bad back and shoulders

Seegs

Please post your response when you get the strap. I'm always on the lookout for a comfortable, wide, weight relieving straps.

So far the Levy's Neoprene and NeoTech MegaBass straps work pretty well for me, although the Levy's at it's shortest is too long for some of my instruments.
Will do...that Levy's Neoprene looks great...my Neotech is the soft ax strap and not very wide and not as comfortable as the Comfort bass strapp...but I can't quite adjust the Comfort Strapp short enough...

Have you ever tried the Comfort strapp and compared it to the Levy's neoprene or the neotech Mega or Super bass strap?

The Levy's looks great to me and I may have to get one to compare to the others...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f30/comfort-strapp-vs-neotech-mega-bass-strap-731668/

Above is a thread comparing the Neotech Mega and Comfort Strapp...one guy says he can't adjust the NT Mega short enough and went for the Superstrap which is about 1/2" narrower and was happy...

Chow,
Seegs

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't tried the Comfort Straps yet, but here's my take on the Levy's and NeoTech.

The Levy's does feel very nice on the shoulder, but it is 'bouncier' than the Neo. It's also a little more slippery, in that the instrument will slide around on your shoulder a bit. It's a well made strap, but sadly, doesn't get short enough for all my instruments. I needed it an inch or two short for the ideal positioning with my P-Bass, but it seems to fall just right for my Tele. I emailed Levy's asking if they'd ever make a shorter model, but never received a reply.

The Neo is maybe just slightly less comfortable than the Levy's, but not as bouncier or slippery (good things, in my mind). The height adjustment is also perfect for my needs - my ideal position fall right in the middle of the range. Neo gets the nod and I'm probably going to buy another one or two in the very near future (I have guitars with Dunlop Dual Designs, Schallers and no strap locks...). I think this will be my go-to strap.

I also have a couple of narrower suede and/or leather straps. They look great and stay put on the shoulder, but they just don't offer the weight relief or adjustability.

I do find that hitting the gym has helped in general... ;)

XXTwighlight

I just bought a Levy's padded neoprene at GC after going there to buy the Comfort strap.
I found the Levy's to be a better quality made strap, so I picked that one up instead of the Comfort.
I got it home and put it on the guitar and immediatly took it off.
I didnt care for the bouncy , bungee feel at all. It was very strange.

Seegs

I just bought a Levy's padded neoprene at GC after going there to buy the Comfort strap.
I found the Levy's to be a better quality made strap, so I picked that one up instead of the Comfort.
Thanks for the info. That's a shame as the Levy's looks very well made. I'm gonna wait for the Betty to come in and then get two more for each of my guitars or look at the NeoTech as most seem to think that this is the more comfortable strap...

Any preferences to the Neotech mega or super bass? The Mega is 4" and the Super 3.5" wide. Some report that the Mega also doesn't get short enough and the Super while not quite as comfortable is easier to adjust...

My Comfort just doesn't get short enough and the leather end pieces are of very thin and questionable quality...I got around that by folding them over so they are doubled otherwise I would be afraid of them tearing over the long haul...

Chow,
Seegs

Bryan29

I swapped out my bass and guitar straps to the Betty. I play 4 hour gigs inside and outside with my bass and I've had zero issues with it. I haven't felt it to be any hotter or cooler than my other straps.

Super comfortable for both instruments. I love them.

Bryan29

Oh and on the length even the short was too long for me. For $10 I had them both shortened at an alteration shop.

Zounds Perspex

Gold Supporting Member
Great straps, definitely very comfortable. I have one on each of my Tele Deluxes (boat anchors).

cross1026

I use mine for my archtops. They are very comfortable , well balanced and the pick pocket is very handy. I just dont like the metal parts ( for length adjustment) which I think may damage the guitar finish if you're not careful enough

teleclem

Chow,
Seegs
That's what I use. Love it.

Really comfy strap. I don't exactly love the looks (I like how leather straps look) but I've yet to try something as comfy. My friend's the dealer here and he's always out of stock. A couple of the local pros like it.

I don't have a bad back/shoulder and I'm pretty fit but I'm particular about staying comfortable for extended durations (long rehearsals, etc).

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, the Levy's is very bouncy but it is definitely well made. Much nicer than the Neo in terms of build quality.

I never tried the Comfort because it is ugly and it just doesn't scream 'comfort' to me. :p

After reading this thread, it seems that maybe my next strap should be a Mono, not another Neo.

Shon Kornfeld

I favor comfortable straps and have been through several brands. The Betty strap from MONO is by far the best one I've used, and I own one for every one of my guitars. I use the Black one, not suede. Cant say enough great things about them.

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
Does the Betty bounce?
I'll let you know in a few days. :cool: I needed to add something to get free shipping from Amazon, so I pulled the trigger on a Betty. Funny how the mind can justify spending $40 on a guitar strap to get free shipping on two five dollar DVDs...

Trending Topics