Monster Guitar Shop?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by afterosmosis, Jun 20, 2005.

1. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Just wondering if anyone here has ever gone through these guys for any parts? I've talked to a few people that have told me he does great work, but that the customer service is a little lacking. Anyone here have any experience?

www.monsterguitarshop.com

2. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I like the flame body they have. That is a project I always wanted to do

3. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

He has a few cool shapes, and encourages custom work. I'm having him cut an Ibanez JS-style body for me, as well as a neck to my specs, from black limba. It's taken longer than I expected (paid up front in early March, he expects me to have it in the next week or two) but from what I hear the work should be worth it. It's in paint getting a clear coat now.

They are usually fairly quick to respond to my emails, but sometimes don't always give all the information I ask for without me having to nudge again. I haven't received any pictures of the pieces yet either.

I was just curious if anyone here on TGP had dealt with him, and could give any comments on the quality of work and wait time you experienced.

4. samdjr74

keep me updated, I lke to know how the body turns out and how the service is

Sam

5. MOJO

MOJO Member

sounds cool be sure to post pics if you can when you get it, i'd love to see it

been jonesing a custom JS for a long time but your guy is the first i've come across that will do that body style

ever see this top one ?

http://www.uni-ulm.de/~s_opfaen/guitar/

6. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Yeah, he's the first I've come across too, that's why I decided to give him a shot despite the few minor customer service complaints. I have never seen the guitar you linked too, that's a pretty sharp axe!

7. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I suppose I could list the specs of what I ordered :).

*Black limba JS style body
    *String through body w/ Hipshot hardtail bridge
    *H-H setup, master volume/master tone/3-way selector
    *Ibanez All Access Neck Joint (instead of standard JS block heel)
    *Clear gloss finish

*Black limba neck back/ebony fretboard
    *Abalone dot inlays
    *22 frets, 25.5" scale
    *Wolfgang style assymetrical back profile
    *10" radius
    *MGS's modified Ibanez style headstock
    *Headstock reamed for Sperzel tuners
    *Standard nut platform (I'll be trying an Earvana)
    *Oil/wax finish

8. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Finally got some pics of the parts, though they're from a few weeks ago. I've been told to expect the finished parts this week, so we'll see. I'll take my own shots and post them when they arrive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. samdjr74

looks pretty good so far

10. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Agreed, and those are pretty old pics. That was before the neck was fretted, and the body had yet to be completed and then cleared.

11. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Still have no parts, and just heard that he hasn't even picked them up from the painter yet. After doing some more research (and being pointed to another thread asking about his work on the Kramer forums, I'll provide a link) I emailed him basically saying ship by next Tuesday or refund my money. A 4 month wait for a body and neck is absolutely ridiculous, so if he can't provide them I'll go elsewhere. Not to mention the complaints about his work in the Kramer thread.

Here is that thread.

12. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

This looks like Doug of Trillian guitars or the VH guitar store. If so, please send me an e'mail. I may have some information for you.

13. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

It most definitely is, email sent.

14. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

After giving him an ultimatum last week (ship by Tuesday or refund my money) I've been told my parts will be shipped... Tuesday ;). I'll be sure to document everything with pics once they get here. If I'm not 110% satisfied I'll be returning them for a refund. I've seen some scary examples of his work the past few days, so I'm actually dreading these parts more than being anxious. Check out the thread on the Kramer forum for a few examples.