Monster Speaker Cable???

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rodr55, Jun 22, 2006.

1. rodr55

rodr55 Member

[​IMG]
    It looks like a monster cable is used to connect the speaker to the amp. Does anyone know where these can be purchased?

2. Bruce O'D

Bruce O'D Member

3. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Save your money. There's no magic in speaker wires. Basic physics here fellas.
    Kudos for Monster Cables for creating their own market. I think this whole thing started from moving-coil phono users who noticed a difference in sound when using different jumpers. This is definitely valid. But when it comes to speakers I'm afraid I can't buy into one cable sounding different from another. I've owned hi-end hi-fi systems for years, I'm a musician and I've worked on, and designed, analogue radio systems that deal with signals well into the noise . I can easily spot less than 1dB of change in S/N but I simply can't hear a difference with speaker cables.

DJ

4. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

well, that being said, monster,proco, whatever, just get a decent one. They all do the same thing. The thing about the monster is music stores honor it for life when it breaks down.(sure they will try to upsell ya) but ive gone through hundereds worth of cables just by bringing it back. Cant go wrong, the way I see it.

5. thid

thid Member

Interesting article on monster and profit margins (monster margins?).

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/1998/1228/6214066a_print.html

My favorite quote is:

"At xxx xxxxxx, a chain of eight stores based in xxxxxxxxx, xxxxx., Monster accounts for 2% of retail sales volume but 30% of gross profit."

That's effed up.

:messedup :messedup :messedup

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    In the hi fi world, I especially "like" the speaker cable "suspenders" which keep your speaker wires off the floor and protect your system from the "deadly microphonics" that might be transfered into your low Z speakers:crazy

7. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

I still cant see how you can go wrong with a lifetime warranty.

8. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

The BX wiring in my house is guaranteed for life too, and it's a lot cheaper than boutique cables. ;)

I have no problem with people making money selling wire. But you have to admit that 45%GM (that's 82% markup) at the retail level is getting a little greedy. If you assume the build-cost is half the dealer cost (and its probably less) then that works out to an astonishing 440%+ markup. That's plain rude. I think its safe to say that if you took the same money you were going to blow on boutique speaker cables and purchased some commercial high-quality cable you'd end up with something superior - or something so ridiculously superior it wouldn't be practical.

While I'm in whine & pout mode.....

I like how many wires claim they are "oxygen free". Two things come to mind. What the hell difference does it make? How do you prove it is indeed O2 free? :)

DJ

9. lastwinj

lastwinj Member

+1 donny. line cords works equally as well as monster cable for speaker connections.