Monsterpiece: Which is the best?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sweet T, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Sweet T

Sweet T Member

All you monsterpiece fans, which single fuzz do you like the best? I've been considering the NPN, Mark II, and Classic, but I'm unsure of what I want (if not all three)?

2. Lintybits

Lintybits Member

you could get a 3 headed monster.

I love my NPN but the only other one I've got is the Angry Dick.

3. Sweet T

Sweet T Member

The NPN--will it cop a lot of different fuzz tones?

4. Lintybits

Lintybits Member

yeah, it'll get thin & buzzy or really fat. It's got a bias knob that's really useful.

Hopefully someone else will comment on the others. Richard's builds some great stuff.

5. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I've had one of each and I kept the MKII. The others didn't thrill me, but the MKII is great.

6. HMCMedic

HMCMedic Active Member

I own all of them:) My fav depends on what day you ask me! Right now I have a double NPN on my board but mine is a bit customized by Richard. One side is darker/more bass and one side is brighter. There are clips of all my Monsters in my sig (on my soundclick page) The NPN is the most versatile.

Go to Harmony Central and find "The Ultimate Monsterpiece Appreciation Thread"

7. Lintybits

Lintybits Member

Been waiting for you to show up :dude

I would trust everything he says

8. marcau

marcau Member

I'm sure you all know this, but for the benefit of those who don't...

* Monsterpiece NPN - all silicon, very versatile & great for later Hendrix type tones.

* Monsterpiece PNP - hybrid Germanium/silicon. Similar to the NPN, but a bit grittier, darker, warmer.

* Monsterpiece Classic - All Germanium, early Hendrix Fuzz Face tones

* Monsterpiece MKII - All Germanium, great early Zep/Page tones

* Monsterpiece Angry Dick 2000 - All silicon. Essentially a Jordan Bosstone clone. Great 60's era Biker Movie fuzz

9. juice

juice Member

I just received mine a couple of days ago (Classic/NPN).

Judging off of what I have, I would say the NPN is a very versatile, do-it-all kind of circuit. It covers everything from clean boost to distortion to balls out fuzz tones.

Just an excuse to post another pic:

[​IMG]

10. HMCMedic

HMCMedic Active Member

And as far as the Angry Dick 2000 being a clone of the Jordan Boss Tone, I can tell you that Richard absolutely nailed this on the head! At Washington States greatest vintage guitar shop, "Guitar Maniacs" We set up the Monsterpiece in a head to head shootout with an original Jordan Boss Tone. We used a 70's Fender Tele and a Blackface Twin Reverb. You couldn't tell them apart! The only thing we noticed was that you can use the Mosterpiece with any guitar:) The original Jordan won't plug into a lot of guitar input jacks.

11. High Voltage

High Voltage Member

Ive been interested in checking out a monsterpiece for awhile.
    2 questions

1. Im worried about overlap between the pedals. If interested in the MKII and the PNP. Would this be redundant?

2. Does anyone know the measurements of the 3 different size pedals?

12. HMCMedic

HMCMedic Active Member

I use my MKII with my NPN all the time, they both have bias knobs. You can dial in all sorts of different sounds between the two. I usually set my MKII lower and push it with an NPN or Angry Dick. Here's pics of all the different sizes I have. (some of them have moved on to other owners) The Green and Yellow pedals are going to be buried with me:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

All I know is that my Monsterpiece MKII has kicked my Captain Coconut 2 off of my board, which is something I thought would never happen...

14. marcau

marcau Member

I just put in an order for another AD2000, sold my first one to get another in a smaller mxr style enclosure. Awesome pedals for sure. Can't wait!!!

At the moment am tempted to order another fuzz from Rich, but not sure which one... I run a pretty small board as you can see from my sig (PT JR), and my AD is about to join it, so what would be the logical model to pick up next? if there's one thing i cant stand, it's redundancy on my board. Had a sunlion for a second there, but i felt that it was redundant to my Java which i prefer for its clarity, and texture, I felt that the amount of gain on the sunface side was about the same as my java (I dont turn fuzz up all the way, i like it high enough but just before it turns to mush), and to think i had high gain NKTs in there, awesome pedal for sure, just a little too big for my board and wasn't different enough from the java. Loved the smoothness and harmonic richness of the sunface, and I love pedals that clean up.

So which monsterpiece should I pick up? Should I even pick up another fuzz? If you can dissuade me from getting another one, even better, so I can pickup another type of pedal… I realize I don’t have an IC based OD on my board, might be a good idea to get one… but again, they are usually redundant w/ Java, and they just sound fake and dead next to a transistor based pedal.

Give me GAS!

Thanks fellas!

15. HMCMedic

HMCMedic Active Member

The Monsterpiece MKII will sound best with your Angry Dick 2000, set the MKII low (gain) with the bias up and then slam it with the AD2000 for solos:)

16. marcau

marcau Member

Forgot to say, had an MKII too, was using it mostly for bass.

Was listening to Jimi this morning... Little wing, the later one w/o vocals. Im thinking i want a silicon fuzz now... love the way it sorts "sags" before it blooms on the bigger notes...

this is tough...

17. High Voltage

High Voltage Member

On a double headed monster can you switch between which side goes first in the chain?

18. High Voltage

High Voltage Member

19. juice

juice Member

It's essentially two pedals (each circuit isolated with its own input and output) built into one pedal. Technically, yes you can put either side first in the chain, or even bypass one side altogether.

20. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member