1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Monte Allums Mods.. KICK ASS

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by NR2112, May 18, 2011.

1. NR2112

NR2112 Member

I just got Two Allums modded boss units.

CS3 Opto Plus Mod
    SD1 GT mod

These pedal kick ass. The clarity is incredible, and sound great overall.

The GT modded sd1 is great. It reacts so well with your guitars volume knob. very phat tones that can go from warm smooth, to high power gain. Like i said clear, too...

The CS3 has so much feeling to it. I have been pulling pinch harmonics outta this thing like crazy!

Ive mixed these two with an EP booster (at the end of my chain) and the results are awesome. So much fullnes and thick clarity. Im using a PRS 513 into a Mesa Mark V.

All this good stuff, for under $30 (the mod that is).

Buy a cheap boss pedal, and have fun soldering, it is well worth it!

2. Fendert

Fendert Member

+1

yeah monte has some really great stuff, I've done 4 Mods from him they are great. I really loved the BD-2 Blues stack mod, its was so great!

3. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

i hate reviving old threads...but i came across the monte allums' cs-3 mod online.... i figured i'd try to get some feedback....

can anyone else here vouch for the Monte Allums mods?

4. Madsen

Madsen Member

i've got MA modded CS-3 & MT-2. Dramatic improvement in clarity & tone. No more hiss. The Metal Zone has increased gain, sustain & harmonic growl.

I'm not all that great with a soldering iron & my eye sight & dexterity aren't what they used to be, so i had em done by an authorized modder after messing a pedal up. the boards on these pedals are quite densely packed, so you might wanna keep that in mind if yer not all that confident in your modding skills.

that said, i don't use em all that much these days as i have other pedals i currently favor. but i keep em around as they are a drastic improvement over the stock sound.

if you do a search there are many positive reviews of his & other simlar mods.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=941070
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=702131

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  5. rschultz13

rschultz13 Supporting Member

I've done 7 Monte mods: DD3, CS3 Opto+, CS3 Ultra+, BD-2, OD-3 Supra +, GE-7+, SD-1 GT. All big improvements over the stock boss. Easy to do, roughly 1 hour per. If you like soldering (and de-soldering), then $30 is a cheap way to improve your Boss pedals... and a lot of fun too!

I've also built both his custom pedals from a kit: OD-308 and Versadrive. Those took about 3 hours each. I actually have the Versadrive in the emporium if you are interested in it... without having to build it:)

6. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

awesome. i have a CS-3 in the mail. got it for dirt cheap. read up on it and apparently it's pretty hissy. saw some mods for it. i assume his mod made it better? care to elaborate?

7. rschultz13

rschultz13 Supporting Member

Yeah, that's probably the most noticeable thing with his mods is that it cuts out a LOT of unwanted noise. GE-7 went from hissy to dead quiet. CS-3 was similar, although with most any compressor if you dial up the sustain you will induce some hiss... so it's a trade off.

IMO, definitely do the mods with the OP AMP upgrades, they are worth the extra $5 over the non-op amp versions.

BD-2 Blues Stack, my favorite monte modded pedal.

8. xntrick

xntrick Member

great mods, i used them on a MT-2 and it really improved the sound...

9. MarkF786

MarkF786 Member

The Rat2 mod is pretty cool, though I used AMZ's diode switching method to switch between silicon, germanium, and LED diodes (Rat, YDR, Turbo); I mostly just use the silicon for the Rat sound.

You lose a little range on the Filter knob, but it's subjective; some people don't like the fizzy highs but I do.

When I first did the mod I felt like I was missing the original Rat2 sound, but after recently buying another Rat2, I see the sound I liked is still there but just needs to be dialed in differently.

In summary, it makes the Rat2 more flexible and sound better, but you still can get the original sound if you want it.