1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Monte Allums mods...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shooto, Jul 22, 2006.

1. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

oh baby jeebus, what an incredble mod-

I've only done the Metal Zone but it is a TOTALLY different pedal- I got the pedal for $25, $20 for the mod and it sounds like a $200 boutique- unbelieveable- I get EXACTLY what I want out of it, like a custom designed pedal to my specs-

I want to buy all the other pedals just so I can do his mods-

just wanted to sing his praises- best $20 bucks you will spend on a pedal-

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

The closest thing I have heard to an eternity is a monte allums modded TS-9. Not to say they are the same, but the only thing that has come close is the monte allums ts-9. The eternity was still a little smoother, had more gain on tap, and the treble boost tone control and could also do a better clean boost. GREAT mods! I hear his compressor mod is incredible.

The guy can wail on a guitar too. Check out the clips at www.cmatmods.com :D

3. gulliver

gulliver Member

I've been looking for a mod for my TS-9, I may have to follow your suggestion.

Anyone try his SD-1 mod? I have one of those on the operating table as well.

I've heard his original DS-1 mod is so-so, but the Rectifier mod is great. Anyone have 2 cents to throw in?

4. jaymeister

jaymeister Supporting Member

I did both his mods to a couple SD-1's I have. They are huge improvements. I made one symmetrical clippping and the other I kept stock.

5. sandman

sandman Member

How about his CS-3 mod? Any users willing to make a pre/post mod comparision? How close does it get to other acclaimed comps?

6. gulliver

gulliver Member

I just ordered the TS-9 mod. I hate to pay $20 for $3 worth of parts, but if it's a good mod I don't mind paying him his dues. We'll see.

7. jaymeister

jaymeister Supporting Member

Yeah...you get the right parts that have been tested in the circuit, plus the instructions to make the mods, and what each mod does to the tone in the circuit.

It was worth more than just the cost of the parts to me.

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I tried his MT-2 sustainiac mods, his DS-1 Rectifier mod, and his SD-808 mod.

The MT-2 sustainiac did completely transform the pedal. However, I got a Boss OD-20 and I was able to get better sounds out of it using the HM-2 model so I sold it. For the record, the HM-2 sim on the OD-20 kicks a real HM-2's ass.

The DS-1 rectifier mod was just like the stock model, but took away everything that was bad about it. A much more professional sounding pedal and remained true to the original, but not my thing. I preferred my IG Tube Emulator mod for the DS-1 (a completely different monster).

The SD-808 mod I kept. I am able to get some great OD sounds out of my OD-20, but I couldn't find anything that I thought was "better" than the SD-808. I recently compared it to my Bad Monkey. It has more gain than the BM, and the BM is warmer, but I wouldn't say that's a bad thing, as the "bite" of the SD-1 is probably better at cutting through in a mix. It also looks really cool with the green LED I got for it!

Anyhow, those are my opinions. Great mods, but nothing that blew me away over my high-end pedals. I do want to try his CS-3 mods, as I've heard they're unreal.

BTW, I bought an original DS-1 mod kit which I never installed, instead opting for the rectifier one. If anyone wants it, 10 bucks plus shipping.

9. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

do you have all the instructions for the DS-1 mod?

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I should have the email in my account somewhere, but the package does come with a hard copy.

11. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

His BD-2 H2O Mod and his OD-3 Mod are both awesome.

12. Tapp

Tapp Member

I've done the CS-3 mod and it's much more subtle now. I still am not quite happy with the way the CS-3 "grabs" my notes when I play. I've got some more tweeking to do though.

Tapp

13. ari

ari Member

I unfortunately can't offer any comparison to other oft-mentioned compressors, but I did do a CS-3 Opto Mod and am very happy with the result. It is very transparent, and very little self-noise. What I'm impressed by is how the pick attack has no artifacts with this mod. It totally sounds as if it was uncompressed, except that volume-wise, it is definitely compressed.

I also did his GE-7 mod. This one, I'm less enthused about. It's not as noiseless as I expected it to be. Maybe I should've gone with the Sniper Mod...

I do listen to his OD pedal mods from time to time and drool over many of them. Very fun to do the mod yoursellf, too.

ari

14. erikm5150

erikm5150 Member

i'm curious about his H20 BD-2 mod...
    can you describe the sound?
    can it get that "semi-clean" Hendrix tone?
    how does it compare to keeley or analogman's bd-2 mods?

15. JPenn

JPenn Member

I've been listening to the clips on his site and really diggin the SD1 mod. I've got a TS reissue that I don't ever use and think I'll try a mod on it and see how it goes. If it works out I'm going to have to do the SD1 mod.

16. theraygun

theraygun Member

I have the H2O mod (had Chad Matthews do it for me), and the best way to describe it is crystal clear. You literally hear your guitar and then the drive, not in some delayed sort of way, but your true tone. I think it works best in the low to medium drive range. It has battled a lot of pedals on my board (Barber LTD, Keeley SD-1, Bad Monkey, etc.) and it's still there. Most other pedals just lack the clarity that the H2O has. It really is amazing. I'm looking at his TS-9 mod next.

17. erikm5150

erikm5150 Member

i've got a BD-2 H2O mod from chad mathews on the way!
    can't wait to get it!

18. JPenn

JPenn Member

After successfully doing the TS9 mod, I'm going to take on the BOSS mods next.

19. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

So, how much difference did it make? Is it worth doing?

20. JPenn

JPenn Member

It seemed to have more gain than stock, and also more lowend. I've only got a Line DuoVerb here at the house try it out thru, it'll be this weekend when I get to run it thru some tubes. The other guitar player in my band uses a stock TS9, so I'll check it side by side and see what difference it makes.

There was some more folks talking up the Allums TS9 mods on here a few weeks ago, but I can't remember who it was. They were comparing it favorably to a very popular, pretty high priced OD. I figured it couldn't hurt for $20 and a little bit of time. The TS9 was just sitting on a shelf not being used, so any improvement is like 1000% for me.:)

I really dig the Boss clips on his website, but I don't have any Boss pedals to mod. I did have the TS so I decided to see if I could actually do it. Now that I know, I'll do the SD1 and Blues Driver next.

Forgot to mention that the "blended" thing that a TS does, seems to kinda fall off. I HATE hearing the clean signal mixed in with the dirty underneath. To me, it makes it sound more like a pedal and less like an amp. It probably works better with an overdriven amp to retain clarity, but with a clean up like I use it just sounds fake. After the mod there didn't seem to be near as much of that. It could be the 4558 chip instead of whatever was in my old reissue. Or it could just be some of the different parts that were changed out.