Montréal Assembly Count to 5 visual manual

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rob Evans, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Rob Evans

Rob Evans Member

I've updated the guide to include the quantization modes, which I didn't realize were in the Nick Gill reference card and now updated to the mtl.asm site til recently. OP is edited as well. Other change is that revision k is listed. Scott mentions revision L in his manual, but I'm not sure if that refers to the 2017 and 2018 models or if there is any difference. I have the 2016 model.

About as many updates to this now as the count to 5 has!

[​IMG]

2. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Do these still go for crazy used prices? I used to have 2 but didn't use them as much as I thought... When I went to sell them it was like there were a bunch of hungry vultures at the door fighting to get them.

Edit: Nevermind, I just checked reverb..... Holy ****.

3. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

Awesome, thanks! I just got one of these and have been cobbling together various resources to try to figure out just what this thing does.

Rob Evans and Tabor like this.
  4. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

They go for more than the new price but not necessarily that much more. Just because people are asking high prices doesn't mean they're selling for those same prices.

I think they cost $260 direct when they're available (once a year or so?) and you usually have a day to catch one when a batch is up. It looks like plenty of used ones have sold for somewhere around the $300 mark. I see some that sold at $280 which on Reverb means only about $260 profit after fees so a sale at $280 with shipping on top is just breaking even for the seller.

Here are the pages of sold count to 5s: https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=count to 5&showsold=true
    Just add &showsold=true to the end of your url after an initial search and you can see this kind of page for any item.

5. jnam

jnam Member

Not Orange, Davin Kuntze, JVJ and 6 others like this.
  6. jnam

jnam Member

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  7. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

Thanks for sharing, just scored a Zellersasn in the release the other day.

Also, thanks OP for that fantastic visual for Ct5!!!!

Spirithunter, Rob Evans and sanfi4u like this.
  8. Rob Evans

Rob Evans Member

Thanks to everyone for the interest in the visual manual. You can now download from the new mtl.asm website:

https://mtlasm.com/support/

9. Quasi

Quasi Member

Hello, i've got a question about the count to five. I want to know if is it possible to save presets in the count to five using a midi pedal (like the DMC 4 midi disaster). I know we can do it with chase bliss pedals but don't know if it's possible on the count to 5.

10. TedJames

TedJames Member

Not in my version (2019). No MIDI. Hell, not only does it not have markings around the knobs but the markings on the top of the knobs are barely there. if I can even get back to a particular sound twice in a row I’m clapping myself on the back. Then again, that’s half the fun of the CT5. It’s got a mind of its own. My latest use is with an expression pedal set to control Dir1 then let her rip almost like a wah while playing (Though with mix at like 10:00 - 11:00 because I’m not a COMPLETE lunatic). It sometimes sounds like I’ve got a backup band made up of birds and whales.

Then again, I’m always finding new features, took me 8 months to find out it had an LFO - maybe two of them, can’t figure out what one of those functions is doing. Maybe it’s like a tone knob?

aussie_owner and Jerrod like this.
  11. Quasi

Quasi Member

Ok, thank you.

12. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, CT5 has no MIDI or other input outside of the expression pedal, nor does it even include the concept of presets.

13. loftyrocket

loftyrocket Member

Am I missing a way to control the mix with an expression pedal?

14. TedJames

TedJames Member

Not that I know of. What I meant was I set the Mix KNOB at 10-11 ish then use an expression pedal to sweep through whatever it is that DIR 1 does. “Reads back at variable speed from a buffer of fixed length” maybe ??? . I have no idea. I’m not even sure what all the “buffer” and “distance from the head” and all that means. Hell of a pedal though. Will always do at least one thing surprising every time I play thru it.

Pellecaster likes this.
  15. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

I am surprised to read this. While it did take quite some time and experimentation to understand how the pedal actual works, being deliberate with the Count to 5 is not hard once you understand what each knob and mode does. It's actually quite an amazing pedal to be deliberate with once you get your head around it. There are TONS of usable sounds in Mode 1 without having to have the mix super low...and modes 2 and 3 are super fun to use in a tabletop setup.

Tabor and Lauri Vennonen like this.
  16. TedJames

TedJames Member

Oh I wasn’t complaining- for me that’s a feature not a bug, provided by so many interdependent variables and either no increment markings on the pedal (with the exception of the Len B knob flashing colors) or the ability to use a continuous controller. I even run it much of the time that way, with an expression pedal controlling Dir 1 - and aggressively work that pedal to accent rhythms and particular notes. (I’m actually somewhat worried if that will harm either the expression pedal, Mission Eng., or the CT5.

If I wanted 100% predictable I’d buy one of those Red Pandas or Chase Bliss deals where they simply took the CT5 and marked and labeled the knobs.

I will say though that while I love Mode 1 (as does everyone who plays one of these - so accessible, plus who doesn’t want little birds to come play with them - and an angry whale or two) and I use Mode 3 all the time (It’s a party in there, and even that one friend who always loses his place in the tune is playing along with you- and it’s WORKING).

However, I do struggle to find a use for Mode 2 other than as a simple looper. Maybe I need to find better settings for the “randomness” function of Mode 2. Or maybe it needs more LFO. But If you have any suggestions for interesting settings or uses for Mode 2 I would LOVE to hear them. It just seems so relatively boring vs Modes 1 and 3.

Actually, just in general. I’d love to hear any cool settings you’ve arrived at at all.
    You seem to be extremely both knowledgeable and super creative, plus there’s not enough of that out there for this pedal. In general I love it when someone posts a pedal setting I would never have thought to try in a million years. Regardless of the pedal- Hell I’ve been pleasantly surprised trying other people’s extreme compressor settings in the past, and added those to my toolbox. Seems like there are more pedal setting threads and examples out there for just about every pedal I own than than the CT5 - Other than a Reddit thread or two, and that one guy who has a pedal website and came out of the gate string with Mode 1 opinions but, despite teasers on his website that more was to come, apparently got bored and gave up on the CT5 before getting to Mode 2 or 3.
    So I’d love a cool idea or two.

17. Sguid

Sguid Member

Put it in transcendence mode, record & glitch your loop in mode 2 then switch to mode 3 to alter the number of layers and speed.

if you start in mode 1 with transcendence, whatever your buffer is doing will become the loop when you switch to 2 or 3

Tall Walls likes this.
  18. Sguid

Sguid Member

Can anyone explain what setting the trigger threshold/the read head distance means in layman’s terms?

19. Tall Walls

Tall Walls Member

This is one of my favorite ways to use the CT5. Especially when switching to mode 3 reveals all the clutter that was hidden in the unused part of the buffer.

I think the idea is to make the CT5 work more like a regular delay, where if you've got the delay time set at 500ms the first repeat after you play a note will actually arrive in 500ms instead of at whatever random shorter time is dictated by the position of the buffer at that moment. Does that make sense? I'm thinking through this as I'm writing. I don't use the feature much.

20. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member