Mooer Eleclady Volume Drop - Yes/No?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jm9239, Feb 25, 2013.

Do you notice any volume drop with the Mooer Eleclady?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

I hear a slight drop. Dealbreaker for me

Windup 43 and sohosteve like this.
  2. jonthomas83

jonthomas83 Member

There is a volume drop on certain settings...but my main "Gilmour" setting has no volume drop. The original had a volume drop, and the CE-2 does too. That's the rough part of analog units, unfortunately. The fact is, you'll be hard pushed to find a unit as well priced and close to the sound that's any better than the Mooer, no matter how horribly small or cheap it is. There's no doubting that it's a very good unit - the best I've tried. Prefered it to the Hartman because that sounded awful with a Muff, the Mooer sounds great.

sohosteve likes this.
  3. Brian Gilmour

Brian Gilmour Member

I use the Rate 3:00 Color 10:00 Range Off Gilmour setting and I get the slightest of a drop but I remedy that by having my GE-7 following it to boost it so they're basically a package deal.

jonthomas83 and sohosteve like this.
  4. sohosteve

sohosteve Member

What I find even more noticeable is the actual leap in volume when it's turned off!

5. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Interesting in that I was watching That Pedal Show, and at 20:08 in the following video...

...they specifically note that the Elec Lady doesn't suffer the volume drop which even other EM clones do.

jonthomas83 likes this.
  6. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I'm going to note that Tonebenders and several other dirt pedals which have issues with buffers wind up having other issues as well. I'm guessing that your volume drops all involve having the Ronno Bender, the Bass Fuzz or both active at the same time as the Elec Lady. Would that be correct?

sohosteve and dpgreek like this.
  7. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Wow man...interesting. I had the Hartman for a minute. Lots of clock noise on that thing. I've gone through tons of flangers since and the only ones memorable was a 70s MXR 117 with the wall wart, The BYOC one I had custom made that had a volume/level knob included to match for unity (shouldn't have sold) and now the Mobius Flanger, which I think is excellent and cops a lot of the old style flanger sounds.

8. sohosteve

sohosteve Member

Yes, ERGExplorer, you are indeed correct on that!
    However, though slightly less pronounced, there's also one with just the Xotic SP engaged - which most definitely does have a buffer in it...

That said, I think the Eleclady is a lovely sounding pedal - close enough to bring back happy times from the 1970s before I got sick of the crap build 'quality' of Electro-Harmonix pedals.
    I always loved the sound but was constantly disappointed by the amount of time they spent in repair.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  9. sohosteve

sohosteve Member

Actually, while watching the 'That Pedal Show' clip, I've realised what the issue is.
    At 5 min 48 secs - it is the 'shelving off of a massive amount of bottom end' that is causing what I am perceiving as volume drop.
    Basically the Ronno Bender and Bazz Fuzz (even more so) add an extra bit of grunt in the low end which is a large part of the push they give when switched in.
    The Eleclady just gets rid of it.
    OK. Now I know what it is, I'll just have to work around it :)

ERGExplorer likes this.
  10. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

The first one I originally had did not, but the second one does have a slight drop. But it's nothing like your drop in volume.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  11. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

the volume drop is mild at best. However, the real ones had a volume drop and this one is not as apparent and it sounds fantastic and is very quiet without the hiss and noise. Great little unit.

12. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

I was debating this or the MXR micro flanger, but I’m now leaning toward this one

13. saladin

saladin Supporting Member

Love the sound but too much of a drop for me on guitar.
    I've since moved it to my bass board and it sounds great there,
    the volume drop isn't as exaggerated thru a pbass vs a tele.

14. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

First impression, yes too much volume drop, could be a deal breaker. I’m going to run it a bit and see.
    My Phase 95 sounds phenomenal next to it, and is getting ballpark Flanger tones for a live setting.

15. Eidolon

Eidolon Member

Using it on the fx loop of my Blackmore, it definitely has a slight volume drop/eq shift. Perceived volume is a bit weaker be the tone becomes sweeter at the same time. It will be less noticeable in the front of the amp, providing your tone is compressing.

16. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

I have 2 (elec lady and e-lady) both have no volume drop... guess Im lucky

17. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

Run very early in your chain... It is second after tuner with a buffer and no problems for me.

18. laurabaileysirishcre

laurabaileysirishcre Supporting Member

I used the donner version for a bit, and I did not hear any volume drop with it.

19. jlinde

jlinde Member

Running at 12 volts helps the drop. Also there are 2 trim pots inside. 1 controls the sweep and the other controls the output.

20. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Just picked one of these up not to long ago and it has a massive volume drop. Especially, after using a Phase 90 or 95.