Mooer GE200

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ALOfYRSnfWhres, Oct 14, 2017.

1. pelaomedinaese

pelaomedinaese Member

yes, most guitarrist are not in things like production or sound recording. Having said that, everything double tracked and panned sounds good but you must ask yoursellf, in what context will i use mooer ge200-? and a great portion of them will use for gig and live situations that's where mooer have to be tested, home recording guitarrist are a 30%

2. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

Its true, there is incentive for people to bash it. After all, if it sounds "as good" as what they spent more money on last year, they will feel like they got ripped off. So its easier to "hear what they want to hear", that its not as good, while to me it sounds perfectly serviceable. I need more tools (routing, control) from a MFX, but it looks like a valid option.

OTH, if I tried one (and I'm sure I never will) I might not like it. Who knows?

I think Boss and Mooer have kept the spirit of these devices, and price them for working musicians and students.

I've said it before, but with the rapid pace of hardware development and falling prices, last year's "holy grail" models will eventually run on a $5 microprocessor. This is why the Helix seems insanely overpriced to me.

It seems completely in the realm of possibility for Boss to deliver a "GT1000" processor with a color screen, a faster CPU (maybe the one used by Helix), and the same hardware and switching features it has now (programmable FX loops, audio interface, advanced switching) for $500. Its just a matter of waiting for the components to drop in price so they can sell the box at $500 as opposed to $1500. Give it a year.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Elantric likes this.
  3. Henky

Henky Member

Well that's also not necessarily true, a crappy double track is just twice a load of sh*t hahaha
    I plan to use the GE200 for recording and in a live situation (FRFR) and so far i did well with rehearsels.
    With most gigs i do, there's little time to set up your stuff and therefor i need something small and as portable as possible.
    That being said it still has to sound decent of course but it does do a really nice job at that.

4. mattball826

mattball826 Member

There's some good posts here, some meh posts here, some comparisons from Boss Helix, and Axe fanbois too. Some that seem to hate the product, but tune in to the topic anywhow.. and of which are most of the readers wishing to see the thread nuked.

Solution is simple. Don't reply if the product does not interest you. Company shill or not. There are many company shill type here of other products that post their desired product in other brand product threads. Which pollutes the thread topic more can be debated. Is it the OP clips, promotion? or the comments of "this sucks, my favorite product/brand is better!" ... to me, I can't decide really which is more unprofessional or whatever... is what it is. Every product thread has to be a my stuff is better than yours, vs thread, or comparison thread. lol

5. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

I love the range of gear that the Mooer competes with - GT-1, G5n, etc and if there are some (more) demos and reviews that show me that it will probably produce sounds I want to make, especially after an update or two, then I'll definitely consider adding it to my list... Below a Cerberus and perhaps a high-flyer like the Headrush or Helix LT. Right now I'm not convinced that I really need one but if it makes me drool later on, as I'm already sold on certain aspects of it, I might buy one.
    I'm the kind of guy who wants to record every album with a different bit of gear so as to give each a unique flavour and an album made with a GE200 is not yet something I'd say is impossible... Time will tell.

voss451 likes this.
  6. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

Tried ignore and the thread disappears because the shill started it. Am going back to ignore which is too bad because other's opinions are useful.

7. stratcat1980

stratcat1980 Member

Agree. I think helix took a chance with the helix pricepoint trying to feed off the axefx 2 pricing and it panned out for them. I was and still am a naysayer of the pricepoint and am a much less pushover then most here. Same goes with tesla cars. 100k for the model S is way overpriced to me but plenty of guys with$$ buy them so what do i know.
    This whole 1k-1500k market to me is over inflated and i also think HEADRUSH just gambled and played the same game thinking its a 1k unit and some bit as usual while i may bit in 2 years in the used market at $400 max.
    Used helix lt i have seen for 699.
    For me as a home player now its all overkill and a prefer an amp in the room tone/unit: all in one. If i had the $$$ i would buy a carr mercury v before a axefx2 xl...That amp is killer but at 2k it too i feel is overpriced. Yea and i know some fanboi of helix/fractal/hr will chime in and say they can get that amps tone on their unit..Yes maybe somewhat but as i said i like an amp unit. Will line 6 ever release a helix stereo 2-12 amp? Doubtfull and if they did it wouyld be like 3k..lol. I still play my spidervalve mk2 2-12 combo and like it alot as well as my cybertwin mk2 (2-12) combo and like that too.

dr150 and DigiPOV like this.
  8. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

Price is perception. Helix is way overpriced. I liked the HD500 models. The helix just added a color screen and Gt100 hardware features (and probably) a moderately more powerful MCU. The Helix is just an evolution of the HD500, its not night and day difference, but it costs 3x as much. Boss can leverage all their GT100 development, add a color screen, newer processor, new software features (IRs), updated models, and still sell it for $500.

Axe FX was only priced that high because it was small builder, low volume.

9. stratcat1980

stratcat1980 Member

Axe now is making them in china so maybe they arent so small anymore? I think boss is placed to take the market by storm in the 400-600.00 range of modelers for sure.Proving they can make a gt-1 thing for 199 was a great feat and is more inline of what the ge200 should be IMHO.

I dont want to drop 800-1500.00 on a modeling unit at this point and none in that range have wowed me. Now if they make an all in one 2-12 stereo combo thingy in the range i would consider it.

10. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

Your point about the amp is totally valid. If I can get a TC-50 head for $1500 and keep using my GT100 for 4cm fx, reamping, and extra models, there is NO WAY IN HELL I'd buy a Helix for $1500. (Not to mention all the good amps in the 300-1000 range.) Its not going to sound any better than a tube amp, and it will depreciate faster and more than anything else in your rig.

IMO, Line6/Helix got too big for it's britches. That's not to say it's bad, I like most of the clips I hear, but I think we are at a point where the youtube generation is making videos to show off their toys more than make music. A $1500 price tag is worthy of showing off.

11. voss451

voss451 Member

Pretty much the reason why I got the GT-1 and also occasionally pickup pedals (if I can afford it). Although I do have tons of pedals & whatnot, it's still cool to have something different to mess around with. It's not that I don't think the GE200 isn't a good processor, just the opposite, for the money it's probably pretty good. I"m merely suggestion that people take it for what it is and not get their expectations too high. It's unreasonable to try and compare it to a Helix or Kemper because they're on a completely different level, technologically speaking.

Elantric likes this.
  12. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

I am going to get the GE200 again once it hits the shelves and I can work a deal on one. I am intrigued with the GE200 and new firmware coming out and IR (which I never tested stupid me)

13. stratcat1980

stratcat1980 Member

Helix can sound good of course. For me the depth of it isnt needed for what i do. Sure...people will say at least its there if you ever want to use it and thats fine.I also think line 6 got too big for its britches. Same with yamaha and the thr100hd things. Not avail in gc to demo and way over priced with strange interface with so much knobs to move and no presets to remember them.

If i had $1000-1500 cash right now i would likely try to find a carr mercury v used..lol...

14. Slicklickz

Slicklickz Member

I see Line6's last flagship,the POD HD500X,under $200 on Craigslist.I saw a regular HD500 last week for $100.

15. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Dude, it's absolutely amazing how little of an idea you seem to have...

16. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Some products very popular here have no retail outlets other than over seas. It works out ok.

If unsure about any product, wait it out. Give the product time to develop. Then buy fire sales if they don't. That's how I do it.

Cool Hand Luke and LordByron like this.
  17. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Supporting Member

While I would not put it quite so harshly, I have to agree.

1) As an owner of both an HD500X and a Helix, while the Helix is, technically, just an eveolution of the HD series, it is, qualitatively a HUGE leap forward from the 500X. Just about everything is radically evolved and improved. Amp modeling. Cab modeling. Effects. UI. Editing software. The difference is nothing less than night and day.

2) Price-point on the Helix is incredibly reasonable from just about any standpoint (except, perhaps, what you personally are willing to pay). To get an equivalent number and quality of tones to the Helix I would have to (and in fact have, over the years) spend tens of thousands of dollars versus the $850 to $1400ish you pay for anHelix (depending on your preferences for IO and UI). Conversely, when you look at the huge amount of resources Line6 has sunk into creating the modeling in the Helix and what they continue to spend in adding and improving with their frequent firmware updates, the price, again, is almost laughably low.

I understand everyone wants to have everything and pay next to nothing for it. (Heck, I’m guilty of it too!) That having been said, innovation costs money. Quality manufacturing costs money. Good quality control costs money. Good support costs money. Continuing and ongoing development costs money. There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch. At some point, if you want to have nice things, you have to pay for them. While Line6’s track record in the past has been... inconsistent (ranging from brilliant to wtf), the Helix (like the Axe and Kemper) is beyond brilliant and the resources they continue to throw into its support and evolution is impressive by any modern standard.

At least where I come from, that is not “too big for their britches”... it’s called “knocking it out of the park”.

riffy, rsm, KeLynne and 2 others like this.
  18. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Well, harshly? Could be, but really not exactly so. I mean, he's constantly stating things that are so far away from reality, it's really getting strange ("IRs don't matter much when playing live" and such well informed stuff...). But well, he's got me on ignore anyway.

Add to this scribble strips, capacitive switches, 4 loops and whatever I might've forgotten.
    Even if you just add the costs for these (plus a dedicated IR loader) to the cost of a POD, you'll be very close to the price of a Helix floor.
    I still don't own a Helix, but from the times I fooled around with it, I can safely say that it's pretty much like night and day compared to whatever PODs. Dialing in a decent sound on a POD is a hassle. On the Helix it's almost a joy. Same goes for setting up a decent live/switching scenario.

LordByron likes this.
  19. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

I disagree with all of this, let me tell you why.

There was a video on this site a few months ago, a guy comparing an HD500x to helix, running through the same IR on his daw, using a variety of models. The end result was virtually identical, they had very similar sounds, it would be difficult to pick out which was which. The amp modeling on the HD500x was already very good, and it had excellent playability (touch sensitivity, respond to volume, etc.), however it was difficult to program, had a horrible UI, and a very poor hardware specification (low dynamic range, clipping, didnt work with 4cm, etc.)

The Helix basically took their existing models, added IR loading, new UI, and added hardware specification very similar to the GT100 (which sells for $500). If you have tried a GT100, you would realize it got everything "right" that the HD500x got wrong. Switchable FX loop, transparent and enough dynamic range to work in 4cm without degrading the signal, advanced switching, large UI that shows pedal assignments in manual mode, ability to use as an audio interface, etc ,etc. The Helix UI was obviously heavily inspired by the GT100 as well.

Basically, the Helix was a huge leap over the HD500x because it was designed to do the things that the Gt100 already did, yet tripled the price.

Let me put this another way: The Boss Gt-100 ($500) and the GE200 ($300) together cover the entire Helix feature set. If you take the GT100 and add a color screen and IRs, you basically have a Helix feature set. There is every reason to believe that Boss can deliver a "Helix killer" for $500. Helix pricing is way out in left field.

20. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Statements such as this are - well, I'm actually lacking words. "Completely uninformed" would be the understatement of the year.

And fwiw: If Boss could do that, why aren't they?

LordByron likes this.