1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mooer GE200

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ALOfYRSnfWhres, Oct 14, 2017.

1. 155

155 Supporting Member

its just weird there is no true off, like the guitar signal by itself, the volume on the unit always controls volume going into amp

2. valdiorn

valdiorn Member

I've never seen a modeler that does it any other way than this. Care to name one example?
    The GE200 is not a distortion pedal, it's a multi effects amp-modelling unit. Therefore it makes logical sense that the unit has a master volume control.

3. 155

155 Supporting Member

I want it to bypass itself and it wont do that the volume is always controlling it, id like to have a totally dry unaffected signal if I have nothing on in the pedal..

4. valdiorn

valdiorn Member

Okay, but that's not what this unit, or any multi effects amp modeller I know of, does, or is for.

LordByron likes this.
  5. Beehive

Beehive Member

6. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Beehive likes this.
  7. Sharry

Sharry Member

The device looks interesting. I looked at Thomann and found among others one following negative evaluation. That could not mean anything, I haven't checked the facts.

Quote: < I had bought the device to switch between a Boss SY-300 guitar synth and a Zoom G3 multieffects device without switching to the tuner mode. With the SY-300 it works fine, but with the G3 the distortion effects are massively overloaded, even with a minimal output level at the G3. The same problem also occurred with the Alesis Guitar FX multi-effects device. It's a pity, because of the equipment the White Loop is actually exactly what I need for the two devices (SY-300 and G3) (therefore 5 points for features), and it is otherwise solidly processed (3 points for processing, minus 2 points for poor functionality). > Unquote

8. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Fwiw, I had that One Control dual loop thing for a while and had to send it back due to noise issues. Worked fine once it only had to deal with line level or 1-2 drives, but once I slapped entire signal chains into it (containing all sorts of mixed stuff, in my case loop 1 for electric, loop 2 for acoustic) there's been massive problems with whatever high pitched noises, oscillation and what not, regardless of the PSA I used. The paths I wanted to switch between didn't show any problems individually and I also played all my ground loop termination tricks. In addition (and the ultimate prove there's been something fishy with the One Control), I got the setup working fine using a very old Rolls loopswitcher.

9. Sharry

Sharry Member

Back to topic - has anyone found a protective bag to transport the GE200?

10. Slicklickz

Slicklickz Member

Was it an RP93?I have their midi tube preamp from the same time period,the MP45,and it's built great and I've never had a problem with it.

11. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

Got one on the way!

kuato likes this.
  12. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Supporting Member

This thread is torturous.

voss451 likes this.
  13. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

We need some NAMM action to heat up the discussion. I am gear bored right now and that is not usually a thing for me :anon

14. Justin Hitchborn

It just keeps getting bumped near daily with no new information. I am interested in it, so news is good...such a taunting problem.

15. Henky

Henky Member

So what is it you want to know?

16. Justin Hitchborn

The usual stuff. More demos with a broad variety of tones, in depth reviews, special use cases, initial impressions, etc etc.

17. valdiorn

valdiorn Member

The initial reviews have all come and gone, look earlier in the thread.
    You can try the fascist Facebook group if you want to get re-posts of reviews and soundclips, but be sure not to say anything or offend anyone in the slightest or you'll find yourself locked out like I did :)

Anyway, if you want demos, youtube should be your go-to place: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mooer+ge200&sp=CAI%3D

18. Justin Hitchborn

I should have clarified my "initial impressions" comment. I more meant "This is what I thought when I first tried it out".

Just looking for ever more data points, is all.

19. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

TL;DR -- updating the firmware was kludgy. New power amp sims add richness and make it sound better. Took less tweaking to get a workable patch -- which is nice.

Long version: (perhaps this will help some lost soul in the future).

Now that the craziness of the holidays has passed, I finally got around to getting Mooer Studio working, after much futzing around. It simply wouldn't open on my laptop -- click "open device" and nothing would happen.

I contacted Mooer support, and they got back to me with a recommendation to copy a specific .dll file to a specific folder. Finally got that working.

Also, got the firmware updated to 1.2. This required me to download the latest version of Mooer Studio from the website and install it. This process, however, does not remove the older installation (something I always find bulky when a software update leaves multiple versions laying around the joint).

I quickly realized though that I had to use the old version to do the firmware update, since the new version simply gave me a stubborn message telling me the firmware on the unit was too old, and to please update. I figured the new version of Mooer Studio would be able to update to the latest FW rev. Nope.

I also assumed the Mooer Studio applicstion was smart enough to go out and check for the latest firmware version. It's not. It deploys the version of the firmware that was packaged with Mooer Studio when you downloaded it.

So, where to get the 1.2 FW version? You can't, from what I can tell, just download that file from anywhere. Which is dumm. So I thought, "Maybe 1.2 is packaged with the updated Mooer Studio?"

Sure enough, that's where it was. So to recap, the latest version of the firmware was packaged with the latest version of Mooer Studio. Which makes sense. But you can't use the new Mooer Studio to update the firmware! At least, that's what I experienced. I had to copy the new firmware file from new Mooer Studio, and place it in the old Mooer Studio folder. Gah.

Then I discovered that all my user patches were wiped clean! Double-gah!! It's not a huge problem (and to be fair, the instructions do say to back up your patches), as I had most of them documented, and I'll probably choose to recreate from scratch to get a feel for how the unit has changed.

Overall, the update process was kludgy, and for people who aren't tech savvy, could be rather confusing. I now have two versions of Mooer Studio installed, one with a cute Santa Hat.

On the plus side for me, I think the new firmware is an improvement. The tube power amp sims are subtle, but add needed richness to the proceedings. I like it.

I was able to dial up a decent Plexi tone with hardly any tweaking, and that was not my experience with the older FW. I used the default cab settings and it sounded fine, whereas before I was definitely trying to move the mic around, and trying different cabs.

I'll do a quick video before the end of the weekend to demo.

dotpc, Viabcroce, KeLynne and 2 others like this.
  20. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Dude, that update process sounds precisely like what the doctor ordered..