Mooer GE200

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ALOfYRSnfWhres, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

It was a pain. For me.

I think it will be fixed, since the fixes are fairly straight forward. My recommendations to Mooer would be:

1. Update the documentation to fill in the gaps.
    2. Update Mooer Studio install process to either a) remove the old version, or b) give the user the choice to either upgrade and remove, or install the new version in parallel.
    3. Update Mooer Studio so that the latest version of Mooer Studio is able to deploy the latest firmware (shouldn't have to rely on the old version of the software to deploy the new firmware).
    4. Make Mooer Studio smart enough to go out and check for the latest version of GE200 firmware. OR just make it obvious where to get the firmware file to be deployed.

2. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

That is really as awkward as it gets. They should simply offer a dedicated firmware installer which doesn't even require the editor.

Ferg Deluxe likes this.
  3. Henky

Henky Member

Don't get that part, i had no trouble at all.
    The Studio software just needs a specific firmware version to function properly that's why it checks whether the firmware version is high enough.
    If it's not the right firmware version, the Studio software will detect that and it will tell you, you need to update the firmware first.
    If you than set the GE200 in "update mode" the Studio software will update the firmware for you. no need for an older version.
    Just power up the GE200 while holding the left footswitch to get in the update mode and the studio software will know it can update.

Ferg Deluxe likes this.
  4. Ferg Deluxe

Yes, but the new version of Mooer Studio was not able to flash the latest FW on the unit. It wouldn't do anything when I opened it, other than to put up a notice that the unit needed to have its firmware updated. There were no other options in the dialog box. The unit was in update mode already, as I was attempting to flash the FW.

I've flashed the unit several times, so I understand the process. For me, on my machine, the latest version of Mooer Studio wouldn't do anything -- it wouldn't connect to either adjust patches/settings, or to flash the firmware -- until I brought the unit up to the latest 1.2 firmware, which I accomplished using the older installation.

Just want to stress -- this was my experience, and possibly not representative of what other folks have seen.

5. Henky

Henky Member

If the software did not recognize the GE200 was in update mode it's more likely it's an USB/Windows problem, did you try it with another computer?
    Now that's interesting: how were you able to accomplish that because the firmware is "baked" into the studio software, it's not like the firmware is a seperate file or something.
    As far as i know Mooer did not provide any standalone firmware files at all or even standalone firmware update executables, only the two studio executables ("Mooer Studio.exe" and "GE200 Studio v.1.2.0.exe") which included the firmware.
    I wouldn't know how to load the 1.2 firmware other than by using the "GE200 Studio v.1.2.0.exe".

6. Ferg Deluxe

The firmware is a separate file. It's located in the "firmware" folder where Mooer Studio is installed. I just moved it (copied it, actually) to the firmware folder of the older installation, renaming the other one ".old". I ran the older version of Mooer Studio, and it saw the GE200 sitting there in update mode. I updated, checked the FW, saw that I was up to date, and then checked to see if the new Mooer Studio would run. It did, and has been running just fine ever since.

I don't have a second Windows machine in my studio to try (primary machine is a Mac). I did not try to reproduce the behavior by downgrading to 1.0.1 and going through the whole thing again, though the tech that lives in my head did consider doing just that until the rest of my brain pulled a fast override. It's entirely possible that this was a one-off situation, due to this Windows laptop I'm using. That's why I wanted to be clear that this is just something that happened to me, and may not be typical for everyone.

7. Henky

Henky Member

Haha, i haven't thought of looking there, you are right i found the firmware file and there's more to be found there... funny to see how they build the application just using plain and simple .png images
    And while i was at it, i also checked the "GE200_Win32.exe" with VirusTotal and, lo and behold, it was totally clean haha

Ferg Deluxe likes this.
  8. Sharry

Sharry Member

I also had problems with the installation of the new editor software.
    I didn't find anything in the manual after the new software didn't find the device.
    On the website I found a hint how to start an update on the device itself. After that it worked.
    However, my tweaks made so far were lost.
    I read the note that you should save everything first. But I couldn't, because my virus program deleted the old version every time I installed it. (see other thread)
    I agree that Mooer could improve the documentation and the procedure.

All in all, however, I can say that the purchase was worthwhile for me.
    This week I used it at a rehearsal in the big band where I play and it sounded pretty good.
    There I rather need clean sounds for the rhythm and occasionally creamy sounds for solis.
    I was able to achieve both in a satisfactory way.
    My band mates didn't complain about any loss of sound quality.

9. sixeight

sixeight Member

I am wondering if the GE200 can be controlled from a DAW through midi. Can anybody confirm if the GE200 is visible as a midi device in a DAW?

10. Henky

Henky Member

No sorry, it isn't.

11. sixeight

sixeight Member

Thanks for checking.

12. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Might have hidden MIDI-over-USB functionality, though. Isn't it like that with the GT-1?

13. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

Just got my replacement in. Very cool as USB now powers the unit which on my 1st one it did not. Just upgraded the firmware to 1.02 and will play later and keep you posted. The deal I got was the unit the carry case and a complete Preset Guide for $300 shipped.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Anthony Newcomb likes this.
  14. sitedrifter

Ok so the darkness is still there out of the box but with the eq settings you can easily remove it. The tones sound really good with the latest firmware and with a couple of tweaks the unit sounds as well as my GT001. Now it is time to try IRs. I will say I am keeping it this time since this unit is now equivalent to the GT001 in tone and has IR capability. And the case is pretty nice too. Not sure why they do not show a good picture of it anywhere. The foam insert of the GE200 is meant to be used with the case which is a cool idea. c

15. Henky

Henky Member

That's a pretty good deal.
    They must have changed the hardware if USB now powers the unit, i wish mine would.

16. Sharry

Sharry Member

Do you mention the cardboard cover box?
    To store at home it is nice, but I think some transports with the other equipment might hurt this pretty box;)
    I am still looking for a suitable transport bag.

17. Sharry

Sharry Member

That would indeed be a real improvement,
    The included power supply is very unwieldy.

18. sitedrifter

LordByron likes this.
  19. Sharry

Sharry Member

Looking great.
    I wrote last week to mooer to give me some advices or informations where I can buy such a bag.
    Till now I did not get an answer.

20. sitedrifter

You can get it on Reverb for 20 bucks but shipping is stupid cause it comes from canada
    you can also get it from osiamo.com or prymaxe.com