Mooer Radar Speaker Cab Simulator

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by xiwiwix, Sep 4, 2017.

1. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

Yes, Exactly. Not everyone chuggs all night long.

KeLynne and Anthony Newcomb like this.
  2. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

I am waiting to see and hear on this. I havent heard a really good demo yet, for medium gain purposes. I have mixed emotion on the Mooer stuff. I bought one of those mini preamps and thru certain speakers it sounds great (QSC K-12)..but threw anything else its coldness is revealed. Its certainly usable...but it's not as good as I thought it would be. I suspect its all due to its A/D conversion. Anyway back OT...When it comes to "feel"...can this thing deliver? I am not hearing anything yet (in the demos) that you can't already achieve with LPF/HPF Band pass filtering and/or Parametric eq. I dont hear any power amp "sag". And the lack of technical info re: latency and sample length..leaves me wondering. I hoped Burgs does a good demo..or maybe Pete Thorn. Help ,demo-people!!!!

3. ALOfYRSnfWhres

ALOfYRSnfWhres Member

im also waiting for Pete Thorn Tom Quayle and Andertons to demo this and Mooer GE200

GtrGeorge! likes this.
  4. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

So does the Radar sound as good as the Two Note CAB?

Very interested for the $$$$!

ebenezer likes this.
  5. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

Any updated opinions on the Radar?

LordByron likes this.
  6. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan Member

7. stratcat1980

stratcat1980 Member

thanx for those. I am waiting for the stereo radar-lol I may die 1st..

Slicklickz and Dead-Pan like this.
  8. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Why not just buy two? I mean, you know, instead of wasting your entire life waiting.

9. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

That's what I did. 2 on the way, for when I need to go pedals

TimeSnow likes this.
  10. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

You should buy 4.... Backups.

Blanket Jackson likes this.
  11. deftones

deftones Member

I just got this in the mail and I can't believe how great it sounds. It's even smaller than my polytune mini but much more hefty power requirement at 12v 300mA. Does anyone else have an issue with white noise coming through when using the headphone out? That's my only caveat but quick fix with headphones + mono 1/4 adapter to the 1/4 out. That seems to make the noise disappear.

Bentayuk likes this.
  12. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan Member

I had no issues with the headphone out. Sounded great actually.

13. deftones

deftones Member

or vocaroo.com/i/s1RXKhNwMr6q
    I recorded a clip of the noise issue to clarify. First half is the 1/8 headphone jack straight into audio interface, 2nd half of the clip is the 1/4 output jack straight into audio interface. Vocaroo compressed it down but please listen with headphones (not monitors) to get a sense of the noise when I use the headphones + mooer. Notice how the 2nd half doesn't have the underlying noise.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    LordByron likes this.
  14. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan Member

Possibly a ground loop.

15. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

No idea if it will work out, but I put one on my christmas list. We will see what the wife decides to go with!

16. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

I just listened. Cool. A lil Maroon5...nice. It does sound usable,so far. And that noise is no ground loop. If it were, it would be a low hum (like 60hz). The fact that it's a hiss...makes me think it's an actual design problem...they didn't filter out noise above a specific frequency.(like say 1kHz and up).on that specific output. Does that make sense? It does to me.

deftones likes this.
  17. finnster

finnster Member

Is a DI necessary for live use running to FOH? Or is the 1/4” output balance?

I was going to pick up a Suhr ACE, but this is less expensive and if it can get similar results reliably in live use then it’s a win win.

18. rolsen

rolsen Member

My last little discovery is if I don't prefer a preset, go straight to the microphone model and switch it up. I like nearly every cab model with the MD421 mic at varying 'distances' and cone placement. I like U87 out towards the speaker edge and a little further away, too. Some of those LDC models are painfully bright and arriving on a preset with a C3000 might dissuade you from the cab model. Change the mic and all is well!

This thing is legit, btw. Effects loop signal to Radar to interface, killer track.

GtrGeorge! and LordByron like this.
  19. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

Care to share a clip of the audio?????

20. rolsen

rolsen Member

I'll be honest, I only have a YouTube page for my band and no personal SoundCloud accounts or the like. For the time being, I'll need to provide my impressions via oral history! I will say the Radar is so far woefully lacking in non metal demos. When, in a metal demo they scroll into an AC15, that deadly Randall solid state scooped distortion sounds like ass. With 'normal' amp gain and tones, it sounds great. If ice-picky, scroll to the 57 or the 421 mic model (though I don't like real or emulated 57s). If anyone's ears are like mine, I need a moment to adjust to the new tones from one cab to the next. The very first second is jarring, like if you switch between audio monitors.

This is my first foray into modeled guitar sounds (though using a real amp's preamp). No latency, totally realistic, too easy, too cheap! I'm impressed and I'm a picky corksniffing SOB.