1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Mooer shimverb "shimmer" any good?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JD Z, Jun 30, 2013.

1. JD Z

JD Z Member

So I'm looking at buying this pedal for the shimmer effect, but I'm a little concerned about the whole 5ths deal. Has anyone had experience with this pedal and using it with chords (Cmaj7, Am, etc)? Everything I'm finding is people soloing or power chords.

2. jay1320

jay1320 Member

I can't comment based on first hand experience, as I don't own one. I also was in the market for a verb pedal that also does a shimmer. This came onto my radar and the while 5ths thing was a deal breaker for me. I ended up with a BlueSky (I know, big price difference). As I understand it, the 5ths can sometimes interfere as the 5th of the note you may be playing is not necessarily relative to the major of the song. I suppose it could work in a majority of circumstances, given you paid attention to what you are playing when it's on. In the end, it just wasn't for me.

(Edit) Sorry, after re-reading your post I realized you are asking about chords specifically. My thinking is that the same rules apply, but a 5th that doesn't fit in the key you are playing may be less noticeable hidden in the mix of it all.

3. JD Z

JD Z Member

I see. So if its set where its just a a little bit of reverb to help fill in the space it won't be too noticeable if the 5th doesn't fit?

4. jay1320

jay1320 Member

As I said before, I haven't played one. Everything I've said is based on my own research. That being said....yes, I would think that if the shimmer effect wasn't turned way up and if you were playing chords rather than notes, the "missed 5th" would be hidden among the other notes being played (given that their 5ths are true to the key you are playing in).

5. JD Z

JD Z Member

Ah I see. Thanks!

6. jason41224

jason41224 Member

Not speaking from experience, but I know that fifths in shimmer can sound good, even when playing sevenths. I actually prefer this mode on the BSR (room shimmer). Doesn't clash at all. The mooer on the other hand sounds not nearly as natural

7. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

The reverb is ok but the shimmer sound is really not good. Not terrible just not good.

8. Lriagan

Lriagan Member

Short answer no.

Long answer Nnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

It is just a big bleh.

9. JD Z

JD Z Member

Is there anything y'all would suggest as opposed to the shimverb then (besides the blue sky)? Something that'll work well for ambient songs when stacked with delay.

10. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Loving the Stereo Wet's shimmer for this purpose. It's definitely not as "in your face" as the Blue Sky, and I definitely wish I could occasionally get a little more shimmer out of it, but 9 out of 10 times, it's perfect and sounds awesome.

11. ibanart300

ibanart300 Member

I owned one for about a month. I didn't mind the shimmer. Having said that I could never find a real good use for it and mainly used it for the Spring setting. I found the pedal noisier then other digital verb's I have used and also found it consumed more power then what the manual stated. But I agree with the above comments. The shimmer was okay even nice depending on how you set it but it wasn't fantastic...

12. Oldnewby

Oldnewby Member

Saw a demo on Youtube of the Hardwire Supernatural. The Shimmer mode sounded pretty good to me.

I received a Mooer Shimverb in trade a few months ago and it did not sound good to me at all. The 5ths did not sound musical to me. Traded it away pretty quick.

13. JD Z

JD Z Member

Just listened to a review on this, but I can't find them on sale at PGS anymore and no one seems to be selling theirs.
    EDIT: I found it on PGS for 179.99 so this is something to consider now!

The wet is very cool but i have never been keen on the whole idea of plugging the pedal into a computer. Very sweet pedal though!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  14. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

LOL +1

15. 10strings

10strings Member

Just get a Wet, great shimmer.

16. mledbetter

mledbetter Member

I owned the shimverb for a week or two - reverb is very digital sounding.. lots of the robotic artifacts. shimmer for single notes is passable, but for chords - the 5ths is a terrible sound. Also - with multiple notes, the shimmer degrades and sounds bad.

I ended up with a trinity - basically a hall of fame from proguitarshop. It isn't technically a shimmer - but a really long ambient delay. I've heard that the verbzilla has an ok shimmer, but have never tried it. The best shimmer sound seems to be the blue sky - but it's hard to justify that kind of cash for an effect that may very well be "uncool" in another 6-12 months :)

17. jburd75

jburd75 Member

If you can grab a Supernatural, that is a great option/value. At church, we have a utility pedal board for the youth band and keep a Verbzilla on it. Works great, sounds great and super cheap if it gets ripped off it's. It's been on that board for 3 years getting played A LOT without crapping out.

18. JD Z

JD Z Member

Thanks for all the info guys!

With the WET, I don't like the idea of having to use the computer to change the reverb as opposed to hardware, cuz it limits me in what I can do on stage.

The supernatural is a very good reverb and I got to actually try my friends out today for a while. It wasn't working too well with my other pedals it seemed... May just take some getting used to though so I'm going to try it later this week again.

The Verbzilla was actually something I never looked at, but It seems very interesting, and looks very easy to use on the fly if needed. I'll probably try one out this or next week.

19. singlepile

singlepile Active Member

I preferred ENO pedals which are clones of Mooer and sold in a low price on donnerdeal.