Moog 12 stage phaser...worth $150?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BMF Effects, Feb 17, 2009.

1. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Have an opportunity to get one for $150. Kind of turned off by the size but it seems pretty versatile. Would like to hear pros and cons. Thanks.

2. orange worker

orange worker Supporting Member

for that price its worth a shot. most used ones hover around $225-250.

3. Craise

Craise Member

For that price..snag it! It's large but one of the sweetest phasers you will hear! :banana

4. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

yeah, at that price--i'd score it asap. if you don't like it you can flip it at a profit.

i had one and sold it. i prefer simpler 4 stage phasers. the moog is cool and capable of sounds that are just not possible with other phasers, just sounds that i couldn't find a practical use for.

it is an extremely clean phaser--so that's a big plus. but it also kind of lacks the imperfections that make it sound 'natural' or organic. it also has some CV options that can be interesting with an expression pedal, or cp251.

5. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Good deal @ $150

if it has Bob Moogs signature on it, its worth a tad more as those are earlier versions from big briar, also has more collectability, not to be confused with phaseability or drinkability

otherwise its a great phaser, you can dial in limitless amounts of sounds from it..

As for the extremely clean thing- Try putting the Drive to max or near max and controlling output with output level, you can get more gritty/organic phase by doing this.

6. Passenger84

Passenger84 Supporting Member

The absolute best sounding phaser I have heard. It kind of goes beyond normal 'guitar effects pedal' phaser sounds into some synthy/keyboard type phase sounds...not exactly, but close. It's very, very lush and watery. That being said though, since I don't use phase effects very often, it ended up being the pedal that took up the most space on my board but that I only turned on for a couple passages in a couple songs like, every other week.

So, it sounds fantastic, but the size is a big drawback. Also, I thought it's buffer was a little thin...at least how it reacted in my rig, it needed to be in a bypass loop.

But all that to say that for $150, it's totally worth it if you have the board space. And if you don't want it, I'll send you $150 plus shipping to ship it to me right now! ;)

7. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

one of the best phasers ever built, yeah for 150. It's great and you definately won't lose money on it.

8. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

Yes, it replaced my Maxon PH-350, and I have never looked back.

9. BMF Effects

I believe it does. What's going rate then?

10. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

I bought mine new, with bobs sig, when they were first released, cost was $289.00 - , was just out in LA, saw 2 at 2 different shops, one was $245 used, $310 new.

Worth $150 EASILY, resell- $250 is modest I think.
    I'd pay $250 ...

11. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

That collection of words alone, "Moog," "12 stage" and "phaser" all sound like they're worth more than that.

12. milezone

milezone Member

best phaser I've heard.

13. archives

archives Member

That's a really great price, I'd buy it!

14. drolling

drolling Member

The flexibilty/versatility of the entire Moogerfooger line is unparalleled; real time control over just about every parameter, especially useful if you've got four legs & an extra set of hands.

The only thing I'm not nutty about's the fact that they convert signal to line level. Ideal for electronic instruments (keys) but less than optimal for guitars.

At $150, I'd jump on it!

15. m.z.

m.z. "Musician" /Gear Hoarder

Pro - it's ****ing awesome

Con - it's ****ing awesome

I know that doesn't make sense..... go get it you silly bastyd! is it hot or something? just get it!

16. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

17. BMF Effects

I actually passed the info on to another TGP'r. I don't know if he picked it up or not. It was a cool piece but more than I would ever need/use.

18. youngupstart

youngupstart Member

i never liked that phaser too much. i found it a tad polite on its own. cool with cv but i traded it for pickups. that was a pretty good deal though.

19. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I scored one for $199 and

just played it with it for five minutes. Whoaaaaaa...........talk about deep and wet!!!

[​IMG]

Right off the bat I'm reallllllllly digging it! I can't belive this doesn't get more attention albeit it is pretty expensive if you buy one new.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  20. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

Fantastic Phaser. At $199 thats a decent price.

Get an expression pedal and have some fun with the CV inputs.

Even better, use the LFO out into some of the CV in, and find some crazy sounds!