Moog Analog delay - opinions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cpeck, Jan 21, 2008.

1. cpeck

cpeck Member

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my modded Ibanez AD-9, and I am drooling all over this thing. Is it worth it? Please post thoughts here.

2. Bradders

Bradders Member

love mine, warm, flexible, make that ultra flexible - the loop angle's nice and can get wild when you throw something interesting into it, like a mini-qtron, for example :)......it appears though a lot of thought's gone into making available all the parameters you might want to play with, various gains, including teh loop, levels etc.etc and it sounds like a quality piece to me

I have mine set up with an expression pedal controlling the feedback, and one also for time, which i use less......the expression pedals make this even more friendly, IMHO........

I've gone through many delays, and am very pleased wiht the MOOG - it's not the most robust box on earth, but is holding up nicely.

Bottom line - love mine - but then aain for $600+ I wouldn't expect less - they are not cheap.

If you're serious make sure to try it out with atleast one expr. pedal plugged into, say, the feedback ( repeats) control - as I love whaqt you can do with that.

cheers
    Bradz.

3. English Jim

English Jim Member

Best sounding most flexible pedal I've heard. I use it in the studio (also patching it in to the console for great dub type delays) but it's a little too big for my PB. I also have the phaser which I love but same thing with the size.

4. TweedBassman

TweedBassman Member

i love mine, but you really need at least 1 exp pedal if not 2 to really bring out the full potential... especially if you play in a band, or play out.

that's a lot of real estate but if you like analog delay it's got the best tone IMO. and the feedback/oscillation is beautiful, not noisy or irritating. musical and easily controllable.

5. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Things I'll add:
    1.) I love mine.
    2.) it's big. 6x9. On my 28x15 pedalboard, it takes up 6x15 space. That could be a lot for a pedal junkie.
    3.) It's simple. Time, Mix, Feedback, with Drive, Level and Short/Long switch. A big plus for this idiot.
    4.) Drive - BIG PLUS. Some guys might hate it. I love it. I use the moog to set my base tone. It's pretty much always on. I use the drive section to kick up my amp, like a preamp pedal, with the added echo of the delay.
    5.) Tone - reminds me of a tape echo. Not quite there, but close enough for me. at 600 new, i'd be up in the air over which I'd rather have. I got my moog on a deal, and I haven't looked at a tape echo since.
    6.) Expression outs - I'm not using, but I'd like to add one for mix. That would be real useful for me.
    7. Delay switch - short/long - It took me a while to get used to. I had a Arion SAD-3 and an Echotap before the Moog. Tonewise, it's 10x better in my honest opinion. However, I loved the depth knob on the Arion. Have to combine the feedback, time and Long/short switch on the moog to get the hollow, guitar amp in a tunnel effects that the arion could produce..

6. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I went through a lot of delay pedals searching for just the right tone for my needs.

The Moog delay really is the one for me.

Give it a try but be careful, you will be wanting one, trust me.:crazy

7. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

I love mine. It's the best delay ever.

8. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

One thing I've noticed from quite a lot of older Moog Analog Delay threads is that folks say it's a tad too dark for their tastes.

I've never felt it was too dark, isn't that the way Analog Delay is meant to sound to begin with?

In case you do feel it's too dark, you can switch the delay to the short mode, the short mode has slightly brighter repeats than the delay in the long mode. However you will be limited on the maximum delay time threshold in short mode.

Check out this video here, it's absolutely the best Moog Analog Delay I've come across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ9uzcz5_DA

9. strata189

strata189 Member

I have one of the originals - a little shorter on delay times, but just fine for me. As stated by many, it's a versatile unit and adds such dimension to your sound.

Randall

10. markezgotez

markezgotez Member

11. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

to my ears, it's the best analog delay i've heard. just in terms of simple delay functions--it's hard to beat.

and if you want to get really far out--it's hard to beat as well.

like other moogers, it really opens up in conjunction with other moogers. although it isn't quite as cool as the lo-pass filter with the cp251--if you throw a cp251 into the mix it really becomes a quite power delay. for example, you can throw the lfo from the cp251 into the delay time--if you tweak the lfo sine wave so it's very subtle (low amplitude) you can get a good chorus-y delay. or if you throw a sqaure wave (or sine wave) lfo into the 'mix' and set the lfo speed right you get these really cool rhythmic trem/delay sounds. or if you patch the lfo into the delay time when it's self oscillating, you can modulate the oscillation.

12. blood5150

blood5150 Member

All sixty thousand?

13. mattthefiddler

mattthefiddler Member

I got mine on Ebay for 460. if you watch carefully. they do come up that cheap.

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've owned almost every significant delay and I don't own a Mooger-Fooger. There's a couple of reasons:
    1. In terms of the absolute best sounding delay, musically speaking, it doesn't quite measure up to the Way Huge IMHO. In fact, I thought it was a little harsher and more clinical sounding than the Diamond as well.
    2. At the time they came out, I could still buy the SIB Echodrive (blue) with CV control of the delay time for significantly less. I think it sounds as good or slightly better, too.

Still, it's got a lot of really cool features and it is in a VERY small class of truly great delays. But $600? For that much I'd probably go digital and get even more cool control possibilities (say an MPX1 with the control matrix).

15. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I came to the Moog delay after using a pair of Deluxe Memory Man pedals for a few years (and a DL-4 set to analog for years before that). Obviously, I like the analog sound, so if you aren't into the sound of an analog delay, then my opinion probably doesn't matter much.

The great thing about the Moog is the signal routing and control voltage options that it gives you. Having a loop is wonderful for creating fresh sounds. Pitch shifting, modulation (frequency or amplitude), ring modulation, and other things all sound amazing in the loop. The control voltage inputs gives you so many options for fresh sounds, too. Modulating the delay time with a square wave LFO is great - if you set it right you can make the repeats jump up and down in octaves, fifths, or other intervals. As others mentioned, you also have control over the mix, repeats, and delay time at your feet if you want that.

The sound of the delay is great. It is dark and thick. It sounds great under the audio and really fills it out. I use it in place of reverb regularly.

The downside I've had were some reliability issues that were pretty frustrating. The pedal went back to Moog twice with intermittent problems that were very puzzling. I think I have everything sorted out now and it has been fine since I addressed some issues. There's a thread here and on the Moog forum that detail the problem and the fix.

It is my favorite pedal.

Bryan

16. mattthefiddler

mattthefiddler Member

I am so glad we got that jumper issue fixed! mine was whacked too

17. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Man, me too. You can't imagine my frustration when I got my pedal back from Moog after having all of the circuit boards replaced only to have it have the intermittent problems again. Everything has worked since I shortened those jumpers.

Bryan

18. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

I own one of every Moog pedal, plus the CP-251, a Voyager and a VX-351. I have never had any reliability problems with any Moog product. I do wish they had a better power supply option, as the wall warts get to be a pain in the a$$...

On to the quality, it is definately a great delay. I can't compare it to the various flavor of the month modern delays out there, because I would never buy them. My favorite delay is an old Ibanez AD202 rack delay, which I got for $250. It is as good as the Moog, and anything else I have heard. I bought a mint condition used Korg Stage Echo for $450. I can't understand the boutique prices people pay...

So why do I have the Moog then? I was collecting the Moog pedals, and knew I would never forgive myself if I didn't get one. This was back when they first came out, and there was a limited supply of the chips used to make them.

19. plord

plord Member

Another plus for the Moogerfooger, at least with mine (MF-104 from the first production run): the calibration and labeling of the pots is *crazy* precise. Want 3 repeats, exactly? Set it to 3. Want 400ms of delay, exactly? Set it to .4 on the delay time knob. Want half time on that 400ms? Switch from short to long. That's just incredible in the analog domain.

20. mattthefiddler

mattthefiddler Member

does any one used intergrated powersupplies with thier 104? i mean with out noise from other effects getting in?