Moog MF-101 Envelope OUT - what does it do?

Junta

I recently got a moogerfooger MF-101.

I am really enjoying using it with my expression pedal to control frequency or envelope sensitivity.

What does the Envelope OUT at the back of the pedal do? Is it possible to control other pedals with expression inputs through this output to take advantage of the mf 101's envelope follower? Are there voltage compatibility issues to be aware of in order not to fry either the mf 101 or the pedal it connects to?

I am not running multiple expression pedals on the mf 101, so I guess I can connect the Envelope OUT using either TRS or TS?

Thanks.

facon

The envelope follower simply transforms your audio signal to a control voltage or CV from 0-5v. That is what opens and closes the filter internally inside the pedal. The envelope out is an external output for that signal. You can connect it to something else and use the envelope's voltage to control it. So imaging that the envelope out is doing what an expression pedal would do if it was automatically following your guitar signal level.

Some cool things you can do it plug it into an LFOs CV In to speed up the LFO when you strike a note. Then it will slow down as the note volume lowers. Or you can plug it into a delay time CV to speed up the delay.

Black_Label

You can connect that to any CV input and use the MF-101 to control that other pedal's parameter. For instance, you could connect it to the rate input on a Moog phaser and sync your envelope filter to your phaser. I believe it is just a TS connection.

facon

It is a TS connection. The only time Moogerfoogers require a TRS is when you're manipulating the CV with a passive control (like an expression pedal) that does not generate its own CV. And you'll only find that are for CV Ins. CV Outs generate their own CV.

Btw, if you haven't read the manual yet, please do. The Moog manuals are very good. You'll learn a lot of very useful information.

Junta

Thanks very much everyone. Yes, the manual is definitely one of the better ones. But your input is helpful too. Cheers!

I like to take the LFO out from my moog phaser, into the mf 101 cutoff. Then take the envelope out and connect it to the phasers rate input.

Super cool effect.

Last edited:
M

Member 995

I used to use it in conjunction with a cp251 and a ring mod. The envelope was used as a trigger to set a sample and hold voltage, which I sent to the ring mod frequency.

The end result was a ring mod that went to a new frequency if I played hard enough. Playing softly kept the same setting. Too cool.

Trending Topics