Moog MF-104m Tap Tempo Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cake Bakist, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Cake Bakist

Cake Bakist Member

Hey dudes,

I used to have an MF-104m but I sold it because whenever the LFO amount was increased past zero, it threw off the tap tempo. Basically the delay time would always be slightly faster than what was tapped and indicated by the tempo LED.

Is this normal, or did I get a dud?

2. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

The latest firmware update v1.1.3 that was released about 3 months ago includes this fix:

• Tap Tempo has been adjusted for increased stability, especially when used with extreme settings of Amount Modulation.

3. corbetta

corbetta Supporting Member

OTOH, the Mf104M's modulation actually changes the unit's delay time (set by Tap Tempo), as opposed to simply adding "mod" to the repeats. Depending on the wave shape this change in delay time might be obvious or simply perceived as a "drifting" (especially in ramp and saw modes). More extreme mod setting will more clearly affect delay time (and enable you to push the time well past the front knob's range)

4. 9520575

9520575 Member

Pretty much all delays with modulation are changing the delay time. That's how modulation on a delay works. Its how a chorus and a flanger pedal work too. Subtle variation of the delay time.

The 104M's modulation is pretty hard core and goes to beyond reason, and can really whack the timing. But like I said, pretty much all delay pedals with modulation vary the delay time.

5. Modulator

Modulator Member

What would be modulated in a delay if the delay time isn't changing?

If tap tempo could somehow force the delays to stay in sync with the tap, the modulation wouldn't be able to modulate the delay.

A TINY bit will go a long way in the 104m. Higher amounts can get you things that sound like little weird arpeggios, rising or falling pitches like the ED Rainbow pedal, etc.

Turn on the tap tempo for the modulator and it may sound more "in sync" that a free running modulator. I believe it's done by holding down the tap button but can't remember if it can do that, I sync my m104 with midi clock. The modulator and the delay can both sync to midi clock. :phones

6. corbetta

corbetta Supporting Member

I guess I assumed that some modern digital delays would simply run the repeats through a chorus or vibrato algorithm. I guess technically they'd still be messing with the delay time¬ójust in a less perceptible way.