Moog MF Drive - Excellent OD

buzzp

I really, really like this OD pedal. Incredibly dynamic, and the expression input for the filter makes it really fun to play with. You can almost get a horn-like fuzz sound with the right setting combined with the proper attack on guitar.

If you're interested in checking this pedal out, but just haven't pulled the trigger, I highly recommend it. It sounds good at ALL gain levels, IMO.

Enusire

Glad you like it.

The Moog MF Drive was one of the pedals I totally didn´t like. I have to admit that I haven´t spent THAT much time with it but in my case - I just hated everything about it from the first time I plugged it in to the last. It was just a weird drive pedal which made strange noises - I repeat: FOR ME. :)

Let´s see how TGP takes it when somebody shares a negative but honest opinion about a pedal. :D

Last edited:

buzzp

Glad you like it.

The Moog MF Drive was one of the pedals I totally didn´t like. I have to admit that I haven´t spent THAT much time with it but in my case - I just hated everything about it from the first time I plugged it in. It was just a weird drive pedal which made strange noises - I repeat: FOR ME. :)
I actually hated it at first as well- the trick for me was to crank the output and adjust the gain accordingly.

GreenKnight18

I think it's a cool pedal, but it didn't sit quite right when I tried it with my band. I love how it has this interesting vibe to it. The best way I can describe it is a a straight into the mixing-board console 70s prog tone.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
I wanted to like it so bad, but just couldn't get it to work with my rig. It was too dark/heavy for me. I did really enjoy playing with the filter, but then it seemed more like a frequency mod effect than just a overdrive.

I could totally see someone LOVING it. But, it wasn't right for me.

Glad that YOU love it! Happy NPD.

buzzp

I think it's a cool pedal, but it didn't sit quite right when I tried it with my band. I love how it has this interesting vibe to it. The best way I can describe it is a a straight into the mixing-board console 70s prog tone.
And that's exactly why I like it. I use it with a brighter hollowbody into a '68 Ampeg GS-12R. I'll try to record a decent clip.

buzzp

Yeah killer pedal. A mate of mine uses one alongside a green ringer clone for a tone that could only be described as Homme on some bad gack.
I love the sounds that come from it, personally.
That sounds really cool, I want to try that.

buzzp

It's one of my favorite pedals - especially with an expression pedal.

It is its own thing - much better for originals than covers outside of a narrow range of genres (e.g. QOTSAesque).

It doesn't have to be heavy to sound great.
Well put.

Jet Age Eric

AMAZING pedal. I struggled with the EQ at high gain--it was ALMOST perfect!--but I’ve vowed to pick one up again next time it’s the SDOTD because it’s just too good to NOT own. -E

High Pedality

Big fan here. I use it as a mid gain dirt mostly for strumming. Gain: 9, Tone: 2, Output: 10, Filter: 10 (w/ Moog Exp Pedal). It also works wonders when placed after my Jext Telez Dizzy Tone, which I like to run really gated, and bright. I hit the Moog and it's so smooth a creamy. These two are truly peanut butter and jelly.

la noise

Been a staple on my home and gigging board since
trading @Jet Age Eric for the one I know own. Just
traded on a lark, and had ZERO expectations, but
it just works so well for me.

Tone-shaper: check

Mid hump/cocked wah lead
boost ala Ronson and Schenker: check

Recording tool to use in order
to alter the peak frequency of
other recorded guitars so they
can be made to sit in a mix in
a variety of places: check

Use it for one or more of these
uses virtually everyday since
owning one. :aok

MuffFuzz

I thought it would have been perfect for my tastes or style, but I never could get it to work within my rig. But it's definitely one of those pedals that I'd recommend; because of it's potential it can give you a lot of good sounds.

Glad you like it.

The Moog MF Drive was one of the pedals I totally didn´t like. I have to admit that I haven´t spent THAT much time with it but in my case - I just hated everything about it from the first time I plugged it in to the last. It was just a weird drive pedal which made strange noises - I repeat: FOR ME. :)

Let´s see how TGP takes it when somebody shares a negative but honest opinion about a pedal. :D
Same here. Thought I would love it, was excited about the expression option. Ultimately didn't get on with it. It had a very dark, thick fuzz sound. Wonder how much amp choice plays a part in this one.

buzzp

I think amp choice has a lot to do with this pedal. Sounds great through my old ampeg, but I bet it absolutely smokes through an AC15 or AC30.

mannyprieto

I had it for a while and loved it. Would consider picking one up again later. Super versatile, just all around great drive. The filter made for some really unique sounds, but there were also plenty of more "normal" sounds in there at the right settings. Moog really knocked it out of the park with the Minifoogers.

Nevenonsodove

Im my own case it swapped any othe od dist from my pedal board. It should be stacked to give its best and the knobs and switches has to be tweaked according to pu's, ampli used, playing style etc.etc. It's not the plug and play kind of pedal. As mentioned i found it amazing when stacked. It ted to be on the woody dark side, but i use dark sounding amps. Now i use a Kingsley Minstrel II that goes into the Moog with the switch set to the highest gain setting and the drive knob at 2 o clock more or less. The Minstrel is set with the gain stack switch at noon, mid drive position with the gain an hair after noon. So with picking dynamics i can obtain an almost clean sound or mid break with the Minstrel alone or a fat woody but dynamic distorted sound when stacked with the moog. Same amazing results obtained with Egnater Goldsmith od before Moog, now the Goldsmith is gone in favour of the Minstrel. Very very satisfied of both pedals alone. Together they are the perfect couple for my sonic needs

Trending Topics