Moog MF Drive

steam-powered

Just got one of these a few weeks ago. I asked the salesman at a local shop to recommend some few fixed wah pedals, preferably something with built in gain, and he brought out the MF Drive. Tried it with single coils and humbuckers and was amazed, bought it on the spot. A few days later I bought the MF Boost which compliments the Drive perfectly. Sounds best after the Drive to my ears.

When I first took the pedal out of the box at home, I didn't see any manual so I fiddled around for a few minutes and found "my" setting. An hour later I found the manual on the ground and discovered that "my" setting was the "dirty wah" setting, with the expression pedal set to the sweet spot depending on the key. And also that the other setting I liked was exactly the same as the "classic rock" in the manual. I can't speak highly enough about these new Moog Minifooger pedals!

Dumo

Love this pedal. I think I like it slightly better with single coils. Seems to overload and get fuzzy with higher input and lose the sweep.

MHermans

Love the new line of effects from Moog. Really digging the boost pedal. It doubles as a volume pedal. Can't wait to try the delay

steam-powered

Love this pedal. I think I like it slightly better with single coils. Seems to overload and get fuzzy with higher input and lose the sweep.
I actually use it most often with humbucker equipped guitars and just dial down the output knob. IME, it works equally well with single and humbucker pickups, which surprised me, cause most filter effects seem to work best with single coils.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Such a great player too.
indeed!
and, MH knows how i feel about his playing.....

i'm tired of the pedal-demo-format, though:
i want a full-length, balls-out MH performance released, for me to purchase!
selfish, i know; but, there it is.

:cool:

Jim Soloway

indeed!
and, MH knows how i feel about his playing.....

i'm tired of the pedal-demo-format, though:
i want a full-length, balls-out MH performance released, for me to purchase!
selfish, i know; but, there it is.

:cool:
I've often had the same thought David. So you're not the only selfish one in that regard.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
I TOO love MH's playing on so many levels ..
And have bought way too many pedals he has demoed …
However, this pedal, despite MH's great playing, does not appeal to my ears at all …
Kind-a proud of that actually … because Mike's musicality always transcends whatever pedal he plays … lol

M

Member 995

However, this pedal, despite MH's great playing, does not appeal to my ears at all …
Interesting. My main distorted sound for years was a distortion or fuzz into a moog low pass filter. It was a great way to get the sound I wanted with no "fizz" on top. I think this will take me there and lots of other places.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting. My main distorted sound for years was a distortion or fuzz into a moog low pass filter. It was a great way to get the sound I wanted with no "fizz" on top. I think this will take me there and lots of other places.
Is it actually a fuzz Bryan?

Love it, the first pedal I've gotten excited about in a while! I've been using it before my screamer style pedal for a huge crunchy tone when they're both on.

It will be great for recording to dial in specific frequencies that aren't already muddied up. Taking advantage of the big bottom end lets me go from a bluesy black keys to a medium gain QOTSA tone. I leave the drive and the peak switches down and dial the gain to about three o clock. I still need to give it the band rehearsal test but I believe that if dialed in right this pedal will cut through no problem.

For a fixed wah I prefer the Dunlop Crybaby Q Zone.. in an interview troy van leeuwen comments that 'it makes perfect soup everytime.' Sounds great for making single coils sound chunky w/o getting too dirty.

The holy grail of fixed wah style pedals for me has been the stone deaf pdf-1, it goes from subtle eq to a serious frequency boost. With that said the Q Zone is extreeemly colored from the moment you step on it which is nice for times you want that.

Trending Topics