Moog MF104m Midi Question

warren3333

Gold Supporting Member
I've never used midi really, and would like a simple device to unlock my MF104m SD.

I'll be using it with my Gigrig G2 as well. Any thoughts ?

warren3333

Gold Supporting Member
You know Melted, I ain't even sure !?

I'm thinking quite simple - presets and the ability to save, and maybe tweak...

leighianson

Silver Supporting Member
Hey warren, I've been looking at doing the exact same thing, and found the Molten Voltage ozmosis which should be here in a week or so. It turns program changes from your G2 into CC's which is what the moog wants to see, seems like it may be what your after.

Here's some stuff from other threads. I just searched: 104m midi

I use the oxygen 8 keyboard from m audio
http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-OXYGEN-25-Key-Controller-9900-41392-00/dp/B000ED4CUW

There could be an updated version, I'm not sure. I paid 20 bucks for mine used.

Here's why I chose this:

keyboard: you can play the feedback like a synth.

Easy to program, setup takes 5 minutes.

10 memory slots, you can program each button to do something in one preset. Then have it controls something else in another preset. Example: I have a preset for under the hood features and another for using it like a synth.

8 knobs, 5 buttons its a good amount to have.

Sustain pedal can be programed to do anything (tap tempo)

This keyboard has this feature where it sends all current knob and button locations in a single midi message. This is amazing when your recording. Basically you set up the moog to be controlled as an external midi instrument. Plug the keyboard into your computer via USB. Only set the delay using the keyboard. Once you have a setting you like you can flash it to your DAW, it will record a midi file. Now, its a preset. You can save as many as you want. All you do is play the midi file through the moog.
That thing is really cool.

You need to send midi CC messages. Cc stands for continuous control messages. They are a value between 0 and 127.
What we make is a MIDI Mapper called Osmosis, which I designed to let you create "virtual" presets on the MoogerFooger pedals. Osmosis sends out batches of Control Change / Note On messages in response to a MIDI Program Change (which is what pedals normally use to call up presets). The MoogerFooger pedals don't save presets in the usual way, instead you need to hit them with a whole bunch of Control Changes.

Once you get the first one made, it's simple to copy it to another program location and tweak it.

Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks,

.:. Bill

Black_Label

Hey warren, I've been looking at doing the exact same thing, and found the Molten Voltage ozmosis which should be here in a week or so. It turns program changes from your G2 into CC's which is what the moog wants to see, seems like it may be what your after.
This. I've been working on this very thing this week. You need an Osmosis and a Simi from Molten Voltage. The hardware Simi is easier and cooler but you can also use the software version, which is cheaper.

The Osmosis allows you to send a program change from your midi controller to the Osmosis. The Osmosis takes the PC message and saves 'presets' that each send up to 16 CC messages to the 104 to control those 16 different parameters (delay time, feedback, modulation amount, mod waveshape, clock division, etc. Look at the 104 manual to see which CC number corresponds to which event and what value corresponds to which setting.) The Simi is important to allow you to see what you're programming and then it lets you set a custom name for each preset. So, in effect, it allows you to have presets for the Moog like on a Timeline or Eventide.

StepAudio

Thanks for the mention!

I designed Osmosis with the MoogerFooger pedals in mind, so you can have it send out up to 16 Control Change and/or Note On messages in response to an incoming Program Change. This is what the MoogerFoogers use to control parameters, so you can create "virtual" presets by sending batches of MIDI data. Once you get one presets made, you can quickly copy it to another program location, then go in and modify it.

You can also send out up to 5 additional program changes to control other devices on your rig, and lots more.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Black_Label

Thanks for the mention!

I designed Osmosis with the MoogerFooger pedals in mind, so you can have it send out up to 16 Control Change and/or Note On messages in response to an incoming Program Change. This is what the MoogerFoogers use to control parameters, so you can create "virtual" presets by sending batches of MIDI data. Once you get one presets made, you can quickly copy it to another program location, then go in and modify it.

You can also send out up to 5 additional program changes to control other devices on your rig, and lots more.

Let me know if you have other questions.

After playing around with Osmosis and Simi for a bit, I had a few ideas. I'd love to see both in one device so that it takes a single 9v and you don't have to take up Deluxe Memory Man sized real estate on your board. Or put the knob and light on the side of Osmosis with a 9v out/thru so someone could slap some Velcro on top and stack them. Just a thought.

The other Moogerfooger inspired idea I had was a box that lets you unite all of the cv outputs into a single expression pedal and use any or all of them, inverse or regularly, at once. In theory, it would be a pedalboard friendly cv router (not that other pedals are using cv these days.)

OR you could go crazy and combine all of those with a small midi switcher that would send midi clock and be a base station for all of your Moogerfooogers.

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
I hooked up my EV-1 Expression pedal to my MF104M for mix control and the sweep is a bit weird - nothing for the first half of the travel, then it comes up pretty fast, and the repeats get louder than the dry signal at the toe down. If I connect the MF104M to an RJM Mastermind via MIDI and the EV-1 to the mastermind expression peda input, is it possible to dial in the sweep/range more accurately through midi programming?

I don't think the ev-1 is a standard expression pedal. I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure it's not compatible with the moogerfoogers. My source audio reflex and cheap moog expression pedal both work fine.

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think the ev-1 is a standard expression pedal. I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure it's not compatible with the moogerfoogers. My source audio reflex and cheap moog expression pedal both work fine.
I read the Moog wants a 50K linear pedal and the EV-1 is 500K I believe, so connected directly it doesn't work well. Though that's why I ask if I connect it via midi, if I can control the sweep more specifically via midi CC settings between the mastermind and the MF104M. I haven't tried programming this yet, so just seeing if anyone knows the answer to that.

Trending Topics