Moog MuRF question...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by markom89, Jun 9, 2006.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Hey, Ive just had my Moog MuRF for about 2 days now, got it from musictoyz.com, anyways it was working perfectly find up until last night when all of a sudden it just stopped working basically. Heres exactley what happens: I turn on my amp, all I hear is this weird high pitched feedback sound comming from only the murf. this is when its TB'ed, when I actualy activate it the sounds gets louder, and you hear a bit of a pattern in it. Im realy worried what might be wrong, Im using the right power supply, and Im running it with about 13 other effects, but I tried it on its own and the same thing happened. Please help me out, what do you guys think might be wrong and what can I do to change it? I realy need it for a gig tomorrow night, and sending out isnt an option at this point, if I did, I wont have it and planned on using it on a few songs. Thanks in advance, I know you guys will help out somehow.

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

come on guys, tell me what you think may be the problem, I realy need some help.

3. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

Which power supply did you use, the Moog power supply or the Voodoo Lab?

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

do you think I should try using the PP2+?

6. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

If you've got the right cables.

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

its not negative tip is it?
    I for some reason doubt that its the power...The sounds are realy weird.

8. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

9. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]The Murf is Center Positive. [FONT=&quot]You probably have a busted unit... [/FONT]

10. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

oh that realy sucks, I hope musictoyz.com is gonna' want to exchange it for me, they have to, its under their 5 day return policy. Well, Ill have to send it out ASAP, hopefully the next one will be fine.

11. landru64

landru64 Member

my murf did that and then fixed itself. and has been fine since. but i'd send yours back.

12. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

alright will do. Just out of curiousity, not that I want to get rid of it for good or anything, what other effect comes close to this one? I havent realy seen anything like it before.

13. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Sometimes it helps if you wait longer than 6 minutes between bumping a post when you really want a reply.

-TJK

14. racktifier

racktifier Member

*Bump*

I just picked up a murf. I use a one spot power supply with the centre positive polarity tip. The noise it's adding to my rig is unbearable!

Will there be any difference if i get the moog power supply? any ideas what the problem may be?

15. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

hey man,...well, if you bought it brand new then the moog supply should be included with it. They include a powersupply with all their pedals. I have 2 and both came with it. But, yea the noise shouldnt be there anymore once you get the moog supply. Its an awsome pedal.

16. Sid

Sid Member

incidently its not TB ...not the ones i played on anyways...i think you can make out the difference when u stomp on it

the noise that u describe is characteristic of power supply problems...the patterns u describe are probably because of what the pedal does...

happened with a red witch chorus i was once trying....connecting a different power supply worked:crazyguy

17. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Are you sure you like your delay before OD/distortion? Just checking to see if you've tried it with delay at the end of the chain yet...

18. racktifier

racktifier Member

I bought it second hand for $300 (great deal IMO); seller didn't include any power supply. I've been using the one spot with the positive tip on a fulltone '69 (the only other pedal i own which is center positive). I also get a buzzing noise when using the '69 but still bearable. With the murf the noise is totally unusable.

I do wonder if it's a problem inherent with the one spots. because i own three and all three when used with the positive tip emit that awful noise! I'll try out the moog power supply and hopefully it'll work for me.

19. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Hey man...thats your problem then. Get a Moog supply. It'll all be good then.

20. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

did you ever get yours working, marko? no offense, just saying, it's your thread about the problematic MuRF with no resolve, are you sure it's just his power supply (like the one you have)?