Moog users?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Robzilla, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Robzilla

Robzilla Member

So, who's using Moog effects on this forum? I have the ringmod and i'm getting the lowpasfilter in a couple of days.. Which do you guys have and how are u using them?

[​IMG]

2. drolling

drolling Member

Oh yeah - I've had the MF-102 since Bob first produced them under the Big Briar brand. Really great that he regained the rights to manufacture under his own name before he passed.

I use it for just about everything except ring modulation - trem, line level boost, theramin.. There's a 2 page thread about them from a couple of months back that's recently been reactivated.. scroll down a bit and you'll see it.

3. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I use the MuRF and lust after all of them... the minute my Infinitphase MKII is paid for... I'm getting a the Delay and a H.O.G and I'm gonna have me some fun!

-TJK

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I use the MuRF, and the MF-102 ring mod, and am now looking for the low-pass filter MF-101, I wanted to get the phaser, but Im getting another, better phaser. I was also looking into the delay, but Im also getting another, better delay, I really like the moog stuff. Can someone briefly explain what exactley the control processor does? I dont get it.

5. Robzilla

Robzilla Member

i have my lowpassfilter for a week now, very cool.. i still should try patching them (the ringmod) together but i need a adapter first (haven't had the time yet)

it's a happy couple :)

[​IMG]

6. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I have the Low Pass Filter, Ring Mod, and the CP-251 control processor. I use them all the time for lots of different things - processing guitar, bass, drums, and loops, as well as sound generation.

About the CP-251:

The CP-251 processor does lots of things. It mainly works for processing control voltages, which allows it to control the knobs on the pedals that have control voltage inputs. People describe it as third hand for twirling the knobs, but that is just the beginning!

Some uses: it has a built in LFO that outputs both a square and a triangle wave. This lets you adjust a knob between two settings either suddenly (square) or gradually (triangle). It has a mixer section for combining these control signals, so you can blend the square and triangle (giving a gradual change with sudden jumps), reverse the voltage coming out, or combine other CV signal sources (the ring modulator also has an LFO, so you could combine the CP251's LFO with the ring modulator for a complex control signal).

The CP-251 also has several attenuators that are useful for reducing the control voltages. Two are stand-alone and two are built into the mixing section. You use this when you want to decrease the range of a CV's travel, basically reducing how far a knob is turned by the imaginary third hand.

The CP-251 also has a lag processor, which is used for manipulating the CV signal's shape. You can make a square wave look like a sawtooth, reverse sawtooth, or anywhere in between.

There is also a voltage multiplier section, which allows you to use one CV signal for multiple destinations. For example, you could use an LFO to control both the cutoff frequency of the low pass filter and the frequency of the ring modulator at the same time.

Finally, there is a sample and hold section. At the most basic this section creates random control voltage signals at a specific tempo, though it is much more versatile than that, as you can use an external audio source to control the sampling of the voltages.

The Moog pedals are really useful and fun on their own, but their uses seem to grow exponentially when you add multiple pedals due to the CV capabilities. The CP-251 basically adds a whole new dimension of usable sounds to each pedal. It is pretty expensive, but if you are into coming up with new sounds (particularly in the studio), then I think it is worth every penny.

Bryan

7. Robzilla

Robzilla Member

8. Bryan T

I mainly use the Moog stuff to process drum sounds, not create them. I do use the low pass filter to create bass notes (crank the resonance of the filter up and tune the note with the frequency control). Running that sound through the ring modulator can create some interesting timbres. I then record the sound and edit together a bass part of several different pitches.

I've seen that picture before and tried to figure out what they are doing, but I'm really not sure. I thought about setting the filter to resonate and then using the square wave LFO on the ring modulator to control the MIX knob on the low pass filter, but that didn't yield a result that I found useful. It gives a single bass note that turns on and off, but it has an audible click. I'm not sure how to get a percussive sound out of it.

Bryan

9. dmczern

dmczern Member

Which one are you getting ??? :BEER

10. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Which phaser?...The new toneczar halophaze thats comming out this summer.

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

DO you guys think that I would have much use for the MK-101 low pass since I already have a meatball? (which I freakin' love)

12. Robzilla

Robzilla Member

that's what i ment, how are you processing drums with these effects? what kind of result does that give you? :)

thnx for the info! these are great effects!

13. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Do you guys keep the moog stuff on the floor/pedalboard(s) or on a table top/amp...?

14. Bryan T

The Low Pass Filter is great on drums. I use it in several ways. Running a drum loop through it and tweaking the filter frequency and resonance controls produces pretty standard electronica type results, especially on drum parts with lots of high end. Adding in the envelope control of the filter is also a pretty standard sound. Combining the sample and hold on the CP-251 with the filter frequency can give tempo synchronized, yet random filter changes - a very cool sound.

The Ring Modulator is also very useful with drum sounds. You can add lots of character just by changing the carrier frequency. Lower settings fill out the bass, higher settings add fuzz type sounds.

A cool trick is to use the envelope out of the Low Pass Filter to control the Ring Modulator frequency. The result is that louder sounds will increase the carrier frequency, creating a very dynamic and interesting sound.

You can also invert the envelope voltage with the CP-251 and patch it back to the Low Pass Filter. The result is that louder sounds will get duller, which can be a cool effect. Sustained sounds (like cymbal crashes) will get brighter as the sound decays.

Sometimes just running the drum loop through the Moog pedals when bypassed is enough to get a cool sound. The pedals distort in a nice way.

Honestly, there are countless ways you can process audio with the pedals and experimenting is the best way to uncover new sounds. I have a lot of fun making racket with the pedals I have.

Bryan

15. Bryan T

I typiically keep mine on the floor, which means I spend a lot of time crouched on the floor playing with them. If I'm processing recorded audio, then I keep them on my desk.

Bryan

16. Robzilla

Robzilla Member

very cool, thnx for all the info Bryan.. :AOK i need to get a new adapter and them i can experiment with using the pedals together! it should be very interesting!

are there any of your songs with some cool moog stuff on it? i will take a listen to them now.. :) thnx!

17. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

An adaptor (for power) came with both my moogs...

18. Robzilla

Robzilla Member

yeah same here, but i got my lpf from the States and im in Europe. We use 240V and you guys 110 or 120V..

19. Bryan T

Unfortunately, not at the moment - all of my online clips are from my acoustic recordings. I'm working on a project at the moment that has lots of Moog sounds. That should be out in a few months.

Bryan

20. Robzilla

Robzilla Member

Ok :)

I'm listening to your stuff on your myspace, sounds good!