Moollon effects- what's the word?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drolling, Jul 4, 2006.

1. drolling

drolling Member

I rarely see anything of interest here in the gear desert, but I was in an audio (mixers, turntables, etc.) shop yesterday and was surpirsed to see they had a bunch of interesting pedals (ZVex, Roger Mayer, HBE, Moog, etc.) but no guitars or amps to demo them!

They also had these Moollon pels - a wah & a bunch of MXR-sized enclosures, all done up in highly-filagreed pewter... Fxxckin cool looking, but how do they sound?

2. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Dude I was just about to post a thread regarding these pedals!

Here's their website if you haven't already checked it out.

http://www.moollon.com/default_e.asp

Here's another website with reviews and soundclips.

http://www.ultimateguitargear.com/tone_party_reviews_moollon.htm

I have never tried these pedals before, but I'm really interested in the Octah pedal. Does anyone own or has tried the Octah before? According to the website Scott Henderson has got one! And many other pros have endorsed their products.

Beautiful pedals...

3. g.griffith

g.griffith Member

I had an opportunity to finally try out the Moollon Overdrive, Distortion and Fuzz a few months back, run into a Bad Cat Hot Cat and a Reeves Custom 50. Decent, but not impressive; especially for the price. The overdrive is yet another TS808, and other companies do a much better job with them. The fuzz was very heavy in the high frequencies, and not much push or thickness. Out of the three, the Distortion was was the most agreeable, but it still had the same high end boost as the Fuzz when you cranked the gain. Sound-wise, it should be considered a Fuzz Distortion. All three took to the Hot Cat better than the Reeves (which is ultra clean), as I think they sounded a bit better with the Hot Cat lightly overdriven, using the pedals to push it a bit and add their thing. They don't sound very good on their own IMO, as the Reeves revealed.

I would've liked to try one of their modulation pedals; the Chorus and Lotus Octah in particular. All I could find were their overdrive/distortion/fuzz units.

But damned if they aren't some of the most awesome looking boxes around! It is very tempting to see if Moollon will sell replacement casings, hehe. If they were 2/3 or half the current cost, they might be considered decent pedals in their price/quality range, IMO.

4. drolling

drolling Member

Thanks for the links, BP, and I really appreciate the review, g.

I'm tempted to go back w/my guitar & try them, tho' none of them had price tags, nor could I figure out which was which - I'll have to bring my reading glasses, too!

On their site, they claim the wah's offered as true-bypassed, or w/the original wretched tone-sucking buffer. I've never seen this featured as a selling point before, and have replaced the switching system on every non-TB wah I've owed..

5. landru64

landru64 Member

didn't have much of a chance to try them at namm a couple of years ago when they appeared, because they were kind of rude.

6. Extra?!

Extra?! Member

the wah is awsome...
    it even looks cool with those curve things
    a bit pricey here in japan

7. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Member

did you actually get to try the wah? in the uk it costs pretty much the same as a teese pic wah, i was curious how they compare

8. drolling

drolling Member

Moollon's a Korean company. Given the cost of the MIK guitars I own, it's starting to sound like these effects are way overpriced..

Still curious, tho'...:rolleyes:

9. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Fellas I actually found another page with clips...
    http://tonehunter.de/produkte/moollon.html
    This one's in German I think, the soundclips can be accessed via the links found at the end of each pedal's description. I don't think they're all that impressive though.

10. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

11. chuck

chuck Member

Moollon iPedals has a 3 page article with pics in the December 2006 Guitar One magazine. The Lotus Octan got the Guitar 1 Award For Excellence.

How much advertising do you have to buy to get that?

12. Chris_G

Chris_G Member

I would agree. I've lived in Korea and have seen the prices of Korean made gear in Korea...damn cheap!

In case anybody cares...Moollon is Korean for "of course" if I'm reading the romanization correctly.

Chris

13. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I own and use the signal boost and the tremolo. Both are excellent. I saw Scott Henderson using the wah live recently and asked him about it and he seemed to like it, but he always has his wahs modified anyway. Moollon seems to make very good effects but it is expensive.

14. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Supporting Member

i was about to say those look mass produced... guess so.

beautiful boxes though.

amstrtatnut likes this.
  15. $uperpuma

$uperpuma Member

Anyone who wants to learn how to etch their enclosures like that should check this out: http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album24 ...I've done a couple and its a lot of work but the results are awesome!

16. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Overpriced in general, or at least not worth paying for the fancy pewter...

17. goldie-gold

goldie-gold Member

I have the signal boost. Great clean boost. Does exactly what it should do, and it does it really well. No tonal colouration or noise added. I thought it was just a tiny bit better to my ears than the Katana Bosst and the Xotic boost I put it against in the shop (sorry, I don't remeber which one).

I tired the compressor too in the shop (with my strat and my amp - I bought it the day I bought my amp) which was also very nice. Again a solid effect right up there with the better current production comps. I forget what style of comp it was exactly. IIRC it was quite similar in sound to a keeley comp. Sorry, I tried a couple of other comps that day too and it was a while back. Not very helpful of me.

18. DavidH

DavidH Supporting Member

I have a signal boost and a Lotus Octah,both are outstanding.someone suggested they were mass produced because the builder is Korean.WOW! some people never cease to amaze.Clearly has never seen inside one of the pedals which are meticulous way beyond any US or european pedal i own.A product has a market value regardless of the nationality of the builder.

19. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, but I've got Korean made guitars that cost the same as one of his pedals - Now that IS amazing!

20. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Supporting Member

I tried a moollon chorus a few months back & from what I remember it was OK but too HiFi for me!! I prefur the lush tones & the depth that the Analogman chorus brings alot more.