Moollon Guitars?!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by mikef1331, Jul 8, 2006.

1. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

2. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Damn that's beautiful. The only reviews of their pedals I've heard have been that they're nothing to write home about, certainly not for the money they're charging. Also, I see they're using those damned twisty Wilkinson saddles. I don't like those -- get real compensated saddles & have done with. Adjusting those is a major PITA. Hardly a high-end part, either. The various neck radii are interesting, though, as are the neck profiles. No info about the pickups yet, however.

Worth keeping an eye on, certainly.

3. fatback

fatback Member

The dragon-faced strat on the bottom of the narcis page under "next" has my interest.

4. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

simply amazing. been watching mthese for a bit now... i love that tele. but man what an ugly headstock!!!
    i'm tempted to buy one and use the metal plates on some nice chambered warmoth wood.
    the pedals look killer too... wonder how they sound though.

5. eric102673

eric102673 Member

I was in love with their tremolo pedal at the NAMM show and the Wah was pretty cool. Didn't care for the OD stuff myself, but there's such a variety of pedals out there. To me the thing about the Moolon stuff is it they really went all in to make sure it LOOKS beautiful. That comes at a price though because all their stuff was really pricey. If a pedal is $250-300ish for a small laser engraved box and the larger pedals were approaching the $500 mark, what's a guitar covered in the stuff going to cost? My guess is these guitars are going to cost you a pretty penny.

The real question for me would be, what does bolting large plates of metal to the front and back do to the tone of this style of guitar I wonder? I'd sure love a chance to play one with a Korina body, but I would never drop the coin to find out.

-e.

6. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

good pts. i believe the plates are aluminum so the weight can't get a huge factor in tone, but i feel it will have an effect. a good one!

7. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

I just got a response from Moollon about these guitars yesterday afternoon, the tele model, get ready for it, is $3,400+! Ouch! That's a lot more than a Thorn I have on order.:eek:

8. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

Sonic quality aside and and just talking about looks, the headstock doesn't look that great, IMO and I'm not drooling over these guitars. It's not totally flush and recessed into the wood and it's just screwed on top of the headstock. Not that it's bad, but at $3500, it's alot of money and I'd expect a little better craftsmanship at that price point.

[​IMG]

9. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member