Moon on a stick

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Soldittothefarmer, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Soldittothefarmer

Soldittothefarmer Member

Hi, newbie to the forum here. Looking through the posts, I clearly know little about amps!

I am looking to buy a better amp than my Kustom hybrid combo, which is very heavy (25Kg) and has rubbish clean tones etc. Bought a Peavey Bandit second hand recently and like the cleans, but gain channel is nasty.
    I play in a covers band, wide variety of music styles (ska, funk, indie, soul, blues), but little heavy rock, no metal.

So, I would value your suggestions to (hopefully) match the following criteria:

1. Good clean cleans on channel 1
    2. Good crunch channel 2 - and a good range of it, no need for high gain
    3. Footswitchable between 1 and 2
    4. Under £400/$600
    5. No more than 18kg / 40lbs at most - I am too old

Happy to buy a combo if it is light enough, but do fancy a head for portability - I might spend the lot on a head and use the speakers in my combo at home for practice, buy a cab later.

I have been looking at things like Vox Night Train 15, Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18, Peavey Classic / Delta Blues 30.

Any other suggestions gratefully received

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

VHT 12/20 special non RT head. Add a good OD pedal or 2 or 3 for hard crunch and other slightly varied drive tones. Pop some TAD 6l6wgc in it for full 20w, with flip of a switch it can run 6v6, el34 or 6l6 power tubes. Nice adjustable effects loop so you can add delays and stuff there if need.

When you kick on boost it will do kind of mild blackface crunch tone, has great cleans. Then for a cover band I'd add something like Lumpy Lemon Drop, MHP 72° and one of many Marshall in a box pedals. Between built in boost and those 3 pedal you can cover a lot of ground.

3. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Egnater Rebel 30 Mark 2

4. Soldittothefarmer

Soldittothefarmer Member

Thanks chaps, it might be a tad difficult to find them to test out (not many retailers in UK I think), but will try.