• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Moonstone Guitars

googoobaby

Way cool! Thanks for the photos. I like how the controls are set up and have to keep that in mind for a future build.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
Notice how the back control area is routed. Not one big generic area, but almost as if each pot has its own "bedroom", so to speak.

The serial number is stamped in this area, as well as in the top of the headstock. The serial on this one is 79101. I've checked the moonstone sites, but nothing specifically corresponds to this number. It was sold as a "circa 1981". Could it be a 79?

einstein

In 1983 i was friends with a guy named David who played guitar with David Clayton Thomas and blood sweat and tears. Really nice guy. I dont know his last name. He hung out at my loft in ny and david clayton thomas came over a few times. Nice guys. He had a moonstone 335 and i had only seen solid bodies. Great guitar that had a 3-d looking burled top. He liked it better than a gibson at the time. I have never seen one since. He said he was from memphis. Really nice guy, anyone know him? Oh yeah and Ed Roman is the only person on earth that could not sell a guitar to a tgp member with severe gas who just won the lottery.

Ian Anderson

FWIW the Guitar Center in San Marcos, Ca. had one of these in trans blue last time I was there not too long ago.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
Actually, mine is lighter than expected - 9.35 pounds on my digital scale. About like your average Les Paul. It's very comfortable to play.

After running through a couple of different amps, I have to say it is almost neutral sounding. So it doesn't have a raw tone like a tele, for example. Being made of maple with ebony board, it has a very articulate sound.

The neck is slim and wide, but the back of the neck is not flat like an Ibanez. It is still rounded.

I agree with the Alembic comment above. I've never owned an Alembic, but I imagine it would have the same vibe.

Bluzboy66

Link to the page on Ed's site with the "Moonstone Viking"
http://www.edroman.com/guitars/moonstone/viking.htm

this guitar isn't on the moonstone site.....I wonder why, probably cause steve had nothing to do with building it, yet Ed continues to sell them and market them as Moonstones....

And that's the thanks I get for trying to warn people.....an e-scolding claiming I don't know what I'm talking about:NUTS
Wow, when I first read your initial post, your Moonstone/Roman jabs left me feeling a bit uneasy, but I stand corrected. Your follow-up post is quite an eye opener. Thank you very much for that Moonstone/Viking info. I'm not sure why Steve Helgeson would ink any type of co-production deal with Ed Roman, but there's the proof, right there on Roman's site......

"All Viking Guitars are totally HAND MADE one at a time from beginning to end by Steve Helgeson, & Ed Roman. "

:confused:

Mike

Hamstd

Moonstone guitars are great. I have a few in my collection. Very nice workmanship and some are really amazing the pieces of burl maple. It is true that some of them sound a bit flat, the original ones all had bartolini pickups in them, some people don't care for the sound of those ( I love them) and I think that contributed to some of the deadness in the tone.
Steve is a great builder and a really nice person. Last time I talked with him, he is content to just build his acoustics (which he really rather do)and fly his RC planes. I think he does the electric stuff to keep the income flowing.
I know in the past as noted Steve had been contracted to build guitars for Ed Roman. Also, I think he was doing the original run of Minirick guitars (the ones that had the bodys that look like flames).

Peter

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
It would be interesting to hear from any Moonstone owners who have replaced the Barts with other pickups.

Chun13

I had one M80, awesome guitar with Joe Barden's pick up, neck was seriously warped though and I had to sell it...

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
Just sold my 1980 Vulcan Deluxe. I loved the looks, quality, and playability, but I could not get it to sound good. The bridge humbucker was not bad, but a bit lifeless. The neck humbucker was muddy. The 2 preamp settings were so bright that they were not useable, and the distortion was a bit raspy.

Too bad too, cause I was REALLY wanting to like that guitar.

Last Nerve

There is no magic tone in a decal.
Gold Supporting Member
I've been to Steve's shop a few times.
He worked on some of my guitars.
Very eccentric. Very nice. Very smart, too.
Great guy. I hope to see him again next week.

kennl

I have Moonstone Vulcan bass #16 of 18. Steve built it in 1980. I got it used about ten years ago with a broken truss rod after talking with Steve. I sent it to him and he removed the fretboard, repaired the trussrod and sent it back to me in a couple weeks. It's now my #1 bass. I think Steve does great work!
ken

Kalalau Hiker

Silver Supporting Member
I have mine on sale in the emporium for anyone interested

I loved the sound - not for vi8ntage blues tones - but sophisticated Alembic type fusion and jazz sounds. I liken it to a Stanley Clarke sound in a guitar.

the bridge pickup has an insane amount of gain.

I love the guitar bit have to sell some due to finance issues.

vox801

Matt Baker of Action Music in Virginia has two Moonstone's. You can view them on his site.

Andy Grossman

Moonstone? BEWARE! Those are one of the Ed Roman brands. While I'm sure the guy who built the first few moonstone guitars was an exceptionzal luthier, the shnook who is cranking them out now is scumbag of the highest order.

Much like McNaught, Baker and a host of other brands that Ed "helped" get started by being their dealer, he now cranks out **** copies of these guitars under his own craptastic brands. Be sure the guitar you buy was never handled by Ed Roman or what you're likely to end up with is a refinished BC Rich with headstock modification. =) Seriously.

So..... The Viking was a collaboration between Steve Helgeson of Moonstone Guitars, and Ed Roman. Steve built the original guitar bodies and necks, and Ed assembled them. Every other Moonstone has been built in Steve's shop, by Steve. I met him more than 20 years ago when I had him build my first Vulcan. I was just at his shop last weekend cleaning and helping him get some stuff organized when I found all the jigs for the Viking guitars. You can call Ed a scumbag all you want, but Helgeson is a world class Luthier, and an amazing man I'm glad to call friend. Maybe actually get some facts straight before you post stuff you clearly don't understand.

Andy Grossman

What can you guys tell me about Moonstone Guitars? Any good?

Moonstone is world class. You definitely won't find anything "inexpensive" with Steve's name on it, even older original guitars that sold for $800 in the 70's and 80's are 2-4 thousand now. Though for the money, I guarantee a $4000 PRS doesn't sound or play anywhere near as well as a $4000 Moonstone. Do yourself a favor and and order one. He'll build whatever you want.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom