Moral dilemma - do you use pirated software?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mojazzmo, Feb 24, 2009.

1. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

Hello All,
    I am curious to hear how you guys and gals here feel about software from bit torrent sites. I am really struggling with this issue. I had a friend help me out with some tips in working with Finale. After, he showed me a bit torrent site he uses that has just about every audio software program known to man. This is where he got copies of the 3 main spectrasonics programs like Stylus RMX, Trilogy and Omnisphere. I was really impressed with the products and I see how much easier they are to put together tracks than what I am currently using and they sound way better. I have never used pirated software but at the moment I don't have $1200-1500 to drop on software. I buy all of my music either in cd format or from itunes but have always made copies for my band mates and such, so am I a hypocrit if I think software from a bit torrent site is wrong??? I do not make my living from playing or recording. I have 2 cds out and pursue music as an independent artist. If I owned a studio or was going to use these programs for financial gain, there wouldn't be an issue-I would buy them. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

3. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

+ 1

4. getbent

getbent Member

5. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

This isn't really a moral dilemma.

ac

6. Wooley

Wooley Member

I don't use pirated ANYTHING if I'm aware of it.

7. funkycam

funkycam Member

nope.
    & I been offered plenty

8. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

But what if you stole of copy of MS Office from work because you needed to write a letter in Word at home to a doctor (who only accepts requests in Word format) that was the only one who could save your son's life? That would be a moral dilemma wouldn't it?

9. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

Thanks guys!!!! I feel the same way as I have never used pirated software before and I don't think I want to start. I just wondered if someone had a viable argument to justify it. I guess I will just start saving my pennies.

10. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

A lot of hard work and expense goes into writing software--to use it without paying is a crime against hard working people, and a threat to their livelihoods. I look at music the same way: if I were to release a cd and it were pirated and sold substantial numbers I'd be pissed. I am proud to have never used pirated software, nor have I ever downloaded any illegal music from the net.

11. somedude

somedude Member

I spent a number of years with computers that had nothing but pirated software on them. Being relatively poor at the time, I considered it part and parcel of the lifestyle and don't feel one bit of remorse about it.

That said, if you have the means to do so in a legit manner, then do so.

12. getbent

getbent Member

that would be time to get a new doctor.

beautifully constructed well played post though.

[​IMG]

13. isfahani

isfahani Member

ditto.

14. Alastorbr

Alastorbr Member

I use torrents quite a lot actually. Guess I'm in the minority. ;)

15. slegros

slegros Member

Theres some great free software out there. Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, for Mac there NeoOffice. So much stuff nowadays I find that for most of my major applications Im using free software. I live in Japan so I do use bittorrent but mostly just to download TV shows that the networks freely distribute after the original air date. I can usually find a free program equal to the big names that I like, and can frequently update for free, I dont really have a dilemma I find as I have no real need for pirated software.

16. Alligator > jam

Alligator > jam Member

No, and I find it easy to pass on other copyrighted material that is posted on torrents as well. No dilema really.

17. plexistack

plexistack Member

Even recording an album on a casette tape is breaking the law in some states. Taping TV shows could be in violation of the law as well. Just because it's "the law" doesn't make it moral.
    Sometimes I download music with the intention of sampling it before I buy it. Some of it I delete because I don't like... other stuff I run out and buy... and the rest is in limbo somewhere in between.
    If you download something because you can't afford to buy it (not instead of buying it) or to sample it, is there any harm done? If no harm is done, it's not immoral.

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

If you steal a car because you can't afford to buy it, I guess that's okay too eh?

It is immoral, not because of laws, because of morals. Stealing is wrong.
    Taping TV shows is a different ballgame, you either payed for the feed (HBO,etc.) or else it is a commercial station that gets their revenue from advertisers (you pay by getting bombarded with advertisements).

I buy my music, CD's, because I want the artist, if I like them enough to want to listen to their music (i.e. I get something of value) I want them to have their share.

Wrong is wrong, and you can strecth and backpedal all you want but most people do know it is wrong to steal software.

That said, some software manufacturers attitudes can easily get someone to the point of considering it...buy a H-4 recorder with Cubease LE "bundled" and after a few burns to mp3, it suddenly won't do more and they demand more money for enabling (actually demand that you buy the whole package!) when you already have in good faith expected....

19. plexistack

plexistack Member

You can call it stealing, but unless you deprive someone else of the usage of that item, it's not stealing.

That's like claiming that if I invite 5 people over to watch a HBO PPV boxing match, the 5 people are stealing, since they are watching the fight, but not paying for it. (pretend for a moment there was a law against inviting people over to watch PPV events)

Stealing a car deprives the rightful owner of it's use. Downloading a song does not. Downloading software does not.

20. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

Unfortunately, the simple issue is that if large numbers of people continue to pirate software and use pirated software, the developers lose out on such a significant amount of revenue that they can no longer afford to fund their R&D departments to full capacity. Basically meaning that they no longer have the money available to further advance their software and innovate.

There's no moral dilemma here - just look at the music industry - 15, 10, even 5 years ago a record label could afford to give a good musician/band advances for gear, cutting a great record, touring their asses off for 8 months a year & more importantly some labels would take a chance on an artist simply because they liked their music.

Not any more!

I can see a similar thing happening with software over the next few years. Imagine if the money wasn't there for companies to afford to 'take a chance' on software such as amp modellers like GigRig and Amplitube - not incredibly expensive pieces of software, but software that enables many musicians to record and experiment who otherwise would not be able to.