More Amplifire midi

flcmcya

Gold Supporting Member
What am I setting in the editor to select effects with a 4 button MIDI, (Jomlabs.Vlt1)

Or is it all controlled from the Midi pedal... any tips from you midi users.

It took me about a week to program the controller to change patches on an H9 :hide2

The Midi has an expression pedal input.... can this be use in place of the loop.
Not sure how to get the amplifire to see it.

BCy2k

Have you looked for tutorial videos for your particular midi pedal? That's what I try when I get stuck.

I'm not completely familiar with programming your particular midi pedal, but it's switches are probably capable of toggling AmpliFire fx on & off as well as selecting whole AF presets (many can do both and can be pretty complex to take on if you're midi impaired ;o). The two biggies you need to know about are PC messages and CC messages. PC = program (or preset) change messages, and CC (continuous controller messages) messages. CC messages do things like toggle fx on or off, or allow you to set up an expression pedal to control things like the wah, or volume, or something else. They're linked to control stuff you tell it you want to control. You'll need to find out what things you can set on a per preset basis vs what has to be set globally on your midi pedal (and on the AF too). You'll need to think about which you need to prioritize to get it to do what you need.

I just started using a Microdesignum MidiGrande 6F1D and I was impressed by how much you can program these newer gen midi pedals (including yours) to do. For toggling individual AF fx on & off via your midi pedal, you need to set the midi switches to send the specific CC (continuous controller message) to toggle whatever effect you want to work. These CC numbers (0-127, or 1-128) need to match the CC assignments made in your AF. There will also be value commands which represent on & off commands which are usually 0 for off and anything above 64 for on. Expression pedals are another animal. If you're not familiar you really need a step by step tutorial video to guide you. I'd need to read the documentation for your midi pedal to be of any more use - and I'm already up to my eyeballs in other tech issues.

Hopefully, someone who actually uses your same pedal can be more helpful. Once you get it sorted you'll like what you can do with it.

BoB/335

An answer like that is why I haven't done anything yet with my AA other than buy a preset pkg. Don't think I'm up tp adding anything to this. Wish I could just pay someone to set this up!

Madmax25

Can't help you, but try asking the same question in the Amplifire Facebook Public Group. I've seen the Vlt1 mentioned a lot over there, so there must be active users of the unit.

Good luck and can't wait to hear what you find - I'm contemplating getting that very same pedal, especially now that I've found that the T-Wah added to the AA will let me take my Wah pedal off my board...

flcmcya

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks,

I'm not a facebooker but will get my GF to pull it up....tha'ts why I'm pushing for the Atomic Forum to go live to get a better handle on all the intel in one place. There are only 3 short videos to set it up using an H9 and that's it.

The manual is written very abstract and is not real straightforward....a few screen shots would make a huge difference....To connect the expression pedal it says to plug in the expression pedal.

It has a Bluetooth connection but seems to freeze or drop out after a few minutes so programming ends up useless with that. I may have a defective unit as the blutooth chip was bouncing around inside the unit when I got it and had to plug it back in..

Very compact unit to slip right under the amplifire though. :dunno

MJ Slaughter

Silver Supporting Member
What am I setting in the editor to select effects with a 4 button MIDI, (Jomlabs.Vlt1)

You need to set that on your midi controller. That is one of the smallest 4 button controllers I've seen. Looking over the features it appears you have a lot of flexibility for the size but their terminology confuses me. They state having 256 banks and each bank can setup up to 8 midi messages. I'm assuming this means each preset, otherwise it doesn't make sense to me. Assuming that each preset can send multiple messages you could setup a preset to only change to a preset on the AF or change to an AF preset while sending CC messages to turn on or off various effects. The AF manual shows the default CC# for each midi controlled effect/parameter but you can change it in the editor if you need to.

I was wondering if you can control the Wah/Volume via Midi. I have had no luck doing this thus far

Depends on what your controller is capable of but you should be able to. Program on your controller the CC# you want the expression pedal to send to the AF, which should be what ever you have your AF wah pedal CC set at. I think the default is 21. You still need to have a way to turn the wah on and off so you need to program a switch on the controller or the AF to enable/disable wah, default CC is 19.

If you want one expression pedal to control both volume and wah you can set it up like I do.

***Correction in bold***
  • Midi controller expression jack programmed to send a CC# that both the Wah and Volume are set to. For this example it's CC#21. On my controller this is done for each preset.
  • On the Amplifire set the Volume and Wah to receive the same CC#, 21, which the midi controller will send for the expression pedal.
  • Program a switch on the AF so the wah is enabled and the volume is inverted using the footswitches tab in the editor. This would have to be done for every preset you want the feature on.
  • Set your AF presets so the volume effect is turned on. Don't forget to save.

This way you will always have control of the volume with the pedal and when you hit the AF button you just programmed the volume pedal will disable and the wah will be enabled.

Last edited:

flcmcya

Gold Supporting Member
Awesome on the volume pedal, I was trying to load the CC # but the app kept crashing.

Thanks

I had it set up to do Midi changes for loading 4 seperate H9 presets on and off, with the H9 plugged in the loop. Tapping a button loaded with the preset on.
The H9 in the loop was causing clean bleed through for some reason ......and I know others contol the effects on the Amplifire directly, so going minimal!

The Vlt1 has a section with 16 cc changes and then another section where you load the cc # and values..... a little confusing as I don't get what the seperate 16 are for.

MJ Slaughter

Silver Supporting Member
The Vlt1 has a section with 16 cc changes and then another section where you load the cc # and values..... a little confusing as I don't get what the seperate 16 are for.

There are usually up to 16 midi channels available to send and receive on. Could that be what they're referring to? If you leave the AF on the default channel 1 then just send everything from your controller on channel 1. If you add in the H9 set it up to receive on channel 2 and what ever commands you want to send it from the controller make sure they're going out on channel 2 as well.

The manuals terms seem a bit wacked to me. There is something about navigating between songs which doesn't make sense to me and I don't have the time of patience to read it manual but it looks like they pack a lot of functionality into those 4 buttons. Good luck.

flcmcya

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks MJ

I started by using channel 1 for all 4 buttons and was assigning button 4 as expression.

Agreed on the manual!

Later

BCy2k

An answer like that is why I haven't done anything yet with my AA other than buy a preset pkg. Don't think I'm up tp adding anything to this. Wish I could just pay someone to set this up!

LOL - guilty as charged I guess.

IMHO, the Vlt1 is a pretty sophisticated midi controller. Even if you've got a handle on midi basics, setting one of these up is not beginner stuff IMHO. Each switch on these newer gen midi pedals can send 8 to 16 user defined combinations of PC and CC commands across multiple midi channels. Yeah ;o)

Last edited:

tomhyzy

I was wondering if you can control the Wah/Volume via Midi. I have had no luck doing this thus far

I'm not sure if you mean controlling Wah/Vol over MIDI using this particular controller, or a MIDI controller in general. If the latter, I've successfully used both an FCB1010 and my current controller, a Disaster Area DMC-8d, to do both of these things. The FCB has on-board expression pedals, the DMC has jacks for 2 external pedals, I use one for Volume and one for Wah. The DMC firmware was written to send specific CC numbers for value changes of 0-127 in the pedal values (i.e., when you move the pedal heel-down or toe-down), that's something I asked the Disaster Area people to do for me when I bought the DMC. The controller sends CC 23 and CC 24 on Expression 1 and 2, respectively - before one of the AF updates, you had to use these two CC numbers to access the Expression pedals over MIDI. Now, of course, you can assign any CC numbers on the AF to listen for Expression 1 and 2 changes.

Anyway, it works very well - the AF "sees" the 2 expression pedals coming in over MIDI just as it would see 2 pedals physically connected to the AF loop.

Again, not sure if this is what you were asking, but I hope it helps.

flcmcya

Gold Supporting Member
Great explanations above and get all of it... my midi uses a phone app that has a place to set up cc commands then another place with options for cc toggle somewhere else..... that's where I start getting lost. :brick

The manual lists all the switch functions ...... then another chart tells you it doesn't do some functions... WTF

flcmcya

Gold Supporting Member
I tried setting up the expression as you did MJ,
I actually had the volume pedal working at one point.

I had to go manual with the switches and got CC toggle messages for echo and reverb on the first two switches.....on and off.

Couldn't figure out how to set up two cc messages to the third button.......

Fourth button is set up as Tap Tempo.

I sent Javier an email to shoot a video setting up CC messages.

any tips on that... I am keeping everything on channel one ...the midi section has an option for cc messages and that adds to the confusion.

Thanks

MJ Slaughter

Silver Supporting Member
I tried setting up the expression as you did MJ,
I actually had the volume pedal working at one point.

I had to go manual with the switches and got CC toggle messages for echo and reverb on the first two switches.....on and off.

Couldn't figure out how to set up two cc messages to the third button.......

Fourth button is set up as Tap Tempo.

I sent Javier an email to shoot a video setting up CC messages.

any tips on that... I am keeping everything on channel one ...the midi section has an option for cc messages and that adds to the confusion.

Thanks

Sorry but I goofed up in my explanation earlier. On my midi controller I have the expression pedal sending just one CC#, 21. On the Amplifire I set the Volume to receive midi commands on CC#21 and the Wah to also receive CC#21. That is why you set a switch on the AF so the wah is enabled and the volume is inverted. This way the 2 effects toggle back and fourth with the footswitch. Without using the inverted feature for the volume both effects would be on at the same time and that is most likely not what you want.

I edited my original instructions above. Hopefully this works for you.

Last edited:

flcmcya

Gold Supporting Member
Awesome!

That makes total sense.... didn't even think to assign the same cc as I already have the switch toggle set up.
Thanks

Fatherflot

I'm browsing this discussion and it strikes me that there might be some money to be made by those with advanced midi skills helping the helpless to design and program a custom midi setup for use with the AF.

I have never used midi in my life and would seriously consider working with (and compensating) someone who could help me select the right controller and then program it for me according to my preferences to work with AF. There must be services out there, but I'd much rather work with someone who is well known on this forum.

flcmcya

Gold Supporting Member
Hey to that Father!

The unit i Picked up came from Spain and the manual doesn't seem to be clearly laid out for a total rookie.

The midi concept actually isn't too mind bending when you figure out what the commands are doing. ;)

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
I'm browsing this discussion and it strikes me that there might be some money to be made by those with advanced midi skills helping the helpless to design and program a custom midi setup for use with the AF.
If all you want to do is change presets and use an expression pedal, just get a controller that focuses on that. With a device like a MIDI Moose, there's hardly anything to set up. If you want to do more, invest the time to learn to work your controller so when you update your presets, you don't have to go back to the "expert".

Trending Topics

Top Bottom