More BJFe EGDM Love! + Build Your own BJFe Fuzz

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by Craise, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Craise

Craise Member

Man O Man, I just can't get enough of these two! Working on some Tom Petty cover tunes last night with the band and man! These are the pedals for that for sure! I was running my 87 SG 61ri into my 64 Princeton Reverb and with the EGDM I can nail the "Last Dance with Mary Jane" tone in spades. He must have used Humbuckers and a Vox for that tune. just lovin these pedals. They just sound that good. IMHO! The Dyna Red has kinda been my goto gainer pedal..but the EGDM has surpased it! Don't get me wrong..still love the DR...but the EG is just doing it for me. I've been leaving the EG on and using the knob and pick attack to dial in the gain. I love playing this way without having to stomp on a pedal for leads, but if I do need more...just step on the HB! The DR, EGDM and HB are lifetime keepers, for me, for sure. YMMV ! IMHO! If you are tired of the same old ODs out there...I can't recomend better pedals for a different Flava.
    Thanks BJFe !!!
    :horse

down a few posts for BJFe Folk Fuzz info....

2. drolling

drolling Member

Yes, It's clear I will continue to jones for an EmeraldGreen, but in the meantime, I can cop the Campbell/Petty vibe w/my Gretsch 6118>Janglebox comp>HoneyBee>AC15.

The compressor's treble boost & the OD's bass boost are all I need between F'Tron p-ups & the classA goodness of a vox amp. It's the most stripped-down rig I've used in years, but the sound is massive..

3. solo-act

solo-act Member

Glad to hear the EGDM has so much dynamics with the distortion. That's what I was hoping for. I'll be checking out how EG & HB do on "wont back down", "back in the USSR", Elvis, Buddy Holly, Billy Joel "you may be right", Joe Jackson, "mamma don't dance", "867-5309", and a bunch of other generic covers.

You should slap together some clips! I don't have the studio set up so I can't. But I may if the inspiration hits me.

I just expanded my order from Dean. It'll be the EGDM, HB, LGW, and SBEQ. Should be fun.
    --E

4. Craise

Craise Member

Yes! the AC15 is a sweet amp...I borrowed a friends for a week and loved it.
    I'm lovin my stripped down rig too. Basicaly BJF Color/flava into vintage fender! Lovin the Fender cleans and BJF to color it Marshall, Vox and TweedySupro!

5. Craise

Craise Member

Solo, Cool I think your going to to love your pedals! I'll bring my DAT recorder to next weeks pracitice and try and get some clips going.

In the mean time.... Have you guy's seen heard of the BJF Folk Fuzz?
    http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages...4aae504bce8d62741d94dcd0106e6/UserTemplate/33

It's a Fuzz designed by BJF that he has put the circuit up so people can build their own! Very Very cool !! I was thinking... I would love to build one and put it in a Donner/BJF type box. The only thing is I don't know how!!! I mean I can solder well...and all..but don't really know how to read a schematic or anything. Maybe we could find someone that could walk us through the building of one of these and all build them at the same time, and help each other? Would anyone be up for that? Can anyone help me/us put the thing together? What do y'all think?

6. solo-act

solo-act Member

Don't have time for that. But a cool project for those that do.

7. drolling

drolling Member

My soldering skills are crude & haphazard at best, but as a semi-retired medical illustrator, I'd be up for painting the boxes, if anyone would care to share info on what kind of paint works best on metal (I've been creating art on a computer for decades, but I kept my old air brush, just in case..).

I'm sure the skills & resources to do this are all right here and a limited edition run of TGP Bjorn Folk fuzzes is a fantastic idea..

Can't you just see them going for ridiculous sums on eBay in years to come..?

So, I'm in, I guess..

8. thebot

thebot Member

I'd love to give this a batter as well when I'm finished with my BYOC project. Very interested in best paint to use as well. By the way I've got absolutely no experience at all with this but definitely up for giving this a go.

9. asdf

asdf Member

Well if it can be pulled off, that would be just great, I'm interested in building one myself after I finish my current BYOC project. For finishing and paint types, theres lots of options. On the BYOC website www.buildyourownclone.com, there are some good tips and tricks for painting, decals, finishing etc.

10. Craise

Craise Member

Right on! I hope this is cool with Bjorn... I guess we should e-mail him. I wasn't really thinking of it as a Batch...per say..but If it's cool with him...I would love to paint it BJF style to go with my other pedals. If I take the time to make the thing...I'm sure I won't be selling mine, and I don't think that's what BJ had in mind when he posted the circuit. So let's keep the selling talk out of this. Drolling, I totaly understand what you are saying...just don't want to piss anyone off. ;) Has anyone checked out the circuit? I'm going to need some step by step help in that dept. Hopefully we can get some help from someone that can read it and walk us through it..if possible.

11. asdf

asdf Member

I agree about not selling it for production of any kind, but it would be very nice if somebody could possibly come up with simple directions (like the ones BYOC gives with their pedals, not even that comprehensive though) so that more people could make it. I just was looking for a fuzz when I found this thread, and now I think I've found it! A BJF fuzz that will sound great plus the fun of building it.

12. thebot

thebot Member

Actually, does anyone know of any good places to get parts (like Small Bear) in the UK?

13. Craise

Craise Member

I e-mailed Bjorn, and asked for his blessing. I'll let you know what I hear.
    Yes, asdf, exactly what I was thinking...something a bit more step by step.

14. drolling

drolling Member

Oh yeah- I was joking, really. Guess I should have thrown in one of these;), biut I didn't:jo, I will next time:AOK!

Actuall, I try to buy carefully and rarely sell my gear anymore. Having usually recovered a dime on the dollar when I did unload stuff- like my original Colorsound fuzzwah that I never really liked and finally sold for 10 bucks, only to see then selling for hundreds all these years later:NUTS...

And don't get me started on AquaPuss! I tried one in a guitar shop in Nashville, but my credit card was refused & by the time I had the cash scraped up, WayHuge was way gone. If it was meant to be, I'd still have that pedal today. My tone is more important to me than a few bucks..

But I digress. I was thinking more along the lines of the mu-metal wah inductor sheilding project that was going on around this time last year. One guy bought all the materials in bulk and divided them up amongst all the participants, saving time & money in the process.

This would be a lot more complex, tho', and maybe not practical at all.

If I were, hypothetically speaking, to paint a bunch of enclosures, they'd each be different (more fun for me) and none would look anything like Bjorn's wife's stuff..

15. asdf

asdf Member

I agree with them all being different. If each of them have a different custom color and possibly even a different name, they'd be really cool looking.

16. thebot

thebot Member

Totally - custom designs would be excellent, good to see what everyone comes up with.:dude

17. Craise

Craise Member

Yeah...I was thinking of just getting together a Step by Step do it yourself kinda thing. Everybody gets their own parts and boxes. Way cool you are offering your painting skills and I'm sure many people will take you up on the offer! But since it's a BJF circuit I know it's anal but I would like mine to look like a BJF. I think donner has a Folk Fuzz with the older BJF paint? But to each his own. If you could pull off the see-through metalic Bjf style for me that is what I would like and would be way cool. :BEER
    I think getting someone that can put together a step by step is the first thing we need to do.... :cool:
    Glad some people are up for this little project!
    BJFe Rocks!
    :dude:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude

18. Craise

Craise Member

Just got BJ's e-mail with his blessing on our little project!
    But it seems that he has recomended an upgrade to his fuzz that he
    just published the schm for in a swedish magazine. It's basically the Deluxe Folk Fuzz and it sounds like it's a step up from the Folk Fuzz. With a Tone control and better parts. So he will be sending the info and schm on it, as soon as he's able to find them. Also I'm sure everyone understands...but just want to make it clear these are for personal use only...not for resale. Please respect BJs wishes on this. He said give him a few days to find the info and he'll be in touch...so the ball is rolling. Still need someone to look over the circuit and help us out...any takers? Help!!!:BluesBros

19. asdf

asdf Member

Great! Maybe somebody would like to try sending the schematic to people who mod or build pedals?

20. playon

playon Supporting Member

This looks like a really cool idea... thanks to Bjorn for the "open source" fuzz circuit!