More cheap pedals or fewer nicer pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nosajwp, Oct 8, 2006.

1. nosajwp

nosajwp Member

Would you guys rather have a bunch of different effects that maybe weren't the best, but were pretty good at what they did, or just one or two really top-notch effects?

2. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I find that only 1-2 top notch effects are worth it! I don't like to do the "pedal dance" live, so minimal pedals with maximum tone is the name of the game.

These days I have delay, OD, and boost. Does everything I need to get through the set.

3. Coach

Coach Senior Member

A couple top-notch effects.

I like straight guitar tones for the most part so I don't need a plethora of pedals.

4. gulliver

gulliver Member

You have to be careful with cheap pedals, when they start adding up, you end up not using them but having a decent amount of money tied up into them. The best thing to do is go for tone, try not to judge by price, and get rid of anything that ends up collecting dust.

5. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

It gets pretty expensive buying pedals just to check them out, which is what you generally have to do if the only source is to buy online. There are so many pedals that do the same or similar function, and that can be a good or bad thing. The bad thing is that you have so many pedals to check out. The good news is that not every pedal will suit every player, so there can be plenty available on the used market.

There are generally a good amount of the better pedals available in the emporium here, and for the most part you can save a bunch of money. If you buy smart, you can get a good deal, and if it's not what you were looking for, you can always resell it without loosing a lot of money. Maybe even break even.

The key thing is the sound. Many of the "cheaper" pedals are noisy, and if you get a bunch of them, the noise is additive. Listen carefully to the sound clips on line, and make your decision based upon that. Once you know what you want, it is easier to find a good price on one.

Buying a better pedal used can come closer to the price of buying a lesser pedal new.

-jm

6. Zim

Zim Member

gulliver is right. Ijust did that, went from almost 20 cheaper pedals, to just 4 soon to be 5 higher end , better sounding ones. And I've never sounded or played better before. Simple and toneful, thats all you need.

7. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I've never had a problem returning pedals to online stores for a 100% refund. In that way, I've tried a dozen or so pedals that I eventually returned to places like Pedalgeek, MusicToyz, and Steve's Music Center. The only loss was shipping back to the store ($5) and the week wait for the refund money.

And over time, I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather have 'that one' pedal that does it for me rather than go through a bunch of cheaper alternatives simply because they are cheaper.

And the best pedal (FOR YOU) is not always the most expensive. For instance, my Bad Horsie II is the best wah for me, and the Nick Greer Royal Fromage was $200 less than the former pedal I had in that spot pulling boosting duties.

-Ben

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

What's your definition of "cheap"? Though Boss pedals are cheaper than a lot of the brands discussed here, I wouldn't necessarily describe them as cheap since half a dozen of 'em can represent a pretty substantial investment.

For me, it boils down to spending my money where it makes a difference (to me). When a cheaper pedal does the trick, it ends up on my board. When a more expensive pedal doesn't have a cheaper substitute, I open up the wallet (but generally try to buy used). That's why I own relatively mundane pedals like the DS-1 and the MagicStomp and more exotic stuff like HAO and Menatone.

9. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

This can work out well if you know immediately that a pedal isn't cutting it for you. Most of these places have a time limit on returns. PedalGeek's limit is 7 days from date of purchase. Generally speaking, I would usually need more time than a week to know for sure ... but I've been told that I'm a little "slow" before. ;)

One example I had recently was with a T-Rex Replica. I love the pedal, but the foot switches they use are a little too tight. It made it tough for me with the tap-tempo function. I found out that the TC Electronic version uses much smoother switches, but by then it was too late to do an exchange.

So, I learned to live with it.

-jm

10. mild

mild Member

Less is more. ;)

I don't think anyone in their right mind would actively seek to use lots of crap/average pedals - your signal buffering would be ruined!

11. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

I've often been tempted by cheap pedals but i've for the most part decided to "attempt" to get it right the first time and try to get the best product for the job. I'd rather not compromise my tone for something that's second rate. That often means saving up for the expensive stuff. It's not easy.

12. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Yeah, Tom Morello is a bit unhinged. :eek:

13. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

If I was going on a tour with a heavy band, I probably would leave the good stuff at home.

I would like to have only one or two no matter what they were.

Big boards take up room on stage and room in the brain!

14. mild

mild Member

Haha, ZING. I hardly think Tom subscibes to any sort of conventional tone though - and you can bet he would be using slightly better equipment in the studio. :messedup

15. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

if you need the machine and don,t buy it
    you will pay for the machine and not have it.