More corroded strings

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ef_in_fla, May 8, 2016.

1. ef_in_fla

ef_in_fla Member

Venting. :eek: The last 3 packs of strings I opened have corrosion ranging from moderate to severe (need a tetanus shot to play them). Two EB Cobalts and one GHS. The cobalts on the wound strings and the GHS on the plains.

I whined about this once before here and it seemed like it wasn't all that common. Yes I'm in Florida but I keep my strings in plastic bags and they're usually factory sealed in plastic nowadays anyway. I don't change strings on certain guitars very often, maybe once a year, but what the heck why don't these new strings keep better? I think from now on I'm only going to buy coated strings (DR's or Elixirs) because they don't seem to rust.

2. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

ef_in_fla and ibis like this.
  3. ibis

ibis Member

4. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I got some Z-rust zip lock bags to keep my strings in. Metal workers and hardware people use them to store parts they don't want to rust. They work well. Even without those bags I have never had a problem with corrosion on D'Addarios that I have sometimes kept for years (in humid WV).

ef_in_fla likes this.
  5. changeling

changeling Member

I used to use ghs,for over 10 years maybe.
    The last batch I got had corrosion on the plain strings.looked it up,and saw that ghs was aware
    of the problem and was going to change the packaging to eliminate the problem.
    I emailed them to find out when the changeover would take place,and got no response.
    I switched to fender strings shortly thereafter ,no corrosion since.

I'm seeing more and more posts like the o.p.,seems like a growing problem across brands.

MrLahey and ef_in_fla like this.
  6. ef_in_fla

ef_in_fla Member

That's a good idea. Is it Zerust? Like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weapon-Prot...646686?hash=item5d619d235e:g:-GMAAOSwPc9Wu5zH

7. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

ef_in_fla likes this.