More crazy speaker experimetation-dust cap transplant-pics!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockon1, Jan 12, 2008.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

On the left is the donor. A Carvin speaker with a large screen cap. On the right is a Relic 30. Very similar looks wise to a Vintage 30. Big 50 oz magnet and small paper cap. Its very dark on top but more balanced than a V30. I tried this once before with great results. Removing the paper cap and installing a screen opened up the high end more. Its really nice sounding like this. Anyhow heres the pics.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I've played speakers with big, small, paper, metal, missing, and damaged caps and still have no handle on what does what, tonewise.

Is there a web page with test results somewhere?

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

There are a few different varieties of material generally used for caps. Screen,paper and sometimes felt and aluminum. Of the screen type the larger the cap the more the highs are diffused(smoothed out) but not entirely blocked. Paper tends to block them and deaden the speaker a bit. Of coarse the thickness of the paper used for the cap affects this too. The Relic had a thick paper cap and although it wasnt that big it evidently had a substantial deadening effect on the high end. It was a dark speaker. With the larger screen type installed its much more open and has more high end. As I was probably going to throw away the Carvin I didnt care about it so its sacrifice was to the better. Bob

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Another pic with dust cap almost dry. Bob

[​IMG]

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I knew you guys would love this mod! lol! :crazyguy

6. frankencat

frankencat Gold Supporting Member

Why sacrifice a speaker for the dustcap when they are readily available?

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I bought a bunch of the Carvin blowout speakers for 29$ a piece. Theve been sitting in the attic for 2 years now. I have no plans on selling them soooooo.....off with its head! Bob

8. hamfist

hamfist Member

Bob, You're mad, I love you !

9. bosstone

bosstone Member

I go the other direction. I have taken both JBL D120 and D130 speakers and snipped out the aluminum dust cap and installed a paper one. It makes a fantastic speaker with the only fault (for my proposes) being the brightness and too much accuracy in the upper end frequencies, into a speaker that does everything well (for my purposes).

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

At least I am not alone in this! lol! Bob