more delay noise problems.. please help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WingsFanLondon, Sep 14, 2006.

1. WingsFanLondon

WingsFanLondon Member

hello all..

a few weeks back, i posted some concerns surrounding a bit of background hiss that was noticeable when using my recently purchased EHX Deluxe Memory Man..

in the past couple of days, i've bought an Ibanez DE7... and it too does the same thing..

Is this common with ALL delays?? Or, am I simply having bad luck getting 'dud' models??

Would a noise supressor help at all??

The background 'hiss' seems to become louder when delay settings are cranked up..

Also.. it's only noticeable when playing on a clean setting.. when I add distortion, it's not an issue.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated..

Thanks,

Nathan

2. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Well, many analog delays suffer from this but that is also part of their charm. Some are quieter than others. If you need a pristine delay sound you should go with a digital delay. I've never tried the Ibanez and don't know if it is analog but I had a DMM that suffered from the same thing. Even my beloved Echoczar is not silent but it sure does sound great!

3. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

By the way, I don't think a noise suppressor will help because from what I understand, when you are playing the noise gate is open.

I just looked up the Ibanez and it is indeed a digital pedal. You may be experiencing some noise from your amp that is enhanced by the delay. You wouldn't notice it as much with distortion because of the noise that the distortion itself creates.

I'm sure more will chime in here...

4. Creamy

Creamy Member

Is it the delay pedal alone, that's adding noise, or are there other pedals in the chain before it? Your delay will affect every signal that comes before it. Also, is your delay in the effects loop, or before the amp? You should hear less noise with your delay in the effects loop.

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

It could be a noisy bypass on your distortion (I have no idea what it is) or another pedal as suggested before... noise will sometimes "disappear" into the mix with a really distorted signal when playing...

6. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I'm really struggling with staying out of this one.
    But I will.

(How's that for passive aggressive?)

7. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Could be a bad cable? Maybe the same one was used to connect up both the Memory Man and the Ibanez?

8. onemind

onemind Member

Where in the signal chain are you placing the delay, is it in the loop or in front of the amp, any other pedals in use?

9. WingsFanLondon

WingsFanLondon Member

i haven't decided where to put it just yet...

When I was testing it on a clean setting I just plugged my guitar straight into the pedal, and then the pedal into the amp..

10. onemind

onemind Member

With clean settings that should have yielded little noise, remember the earlier in the gain stage the effect is the more any noise it generates will be amplified. So a 'small' noise problem becomes larger the earlier the pedal is...first in line of course is earliest. by placing the delay in the effects loop you are now taking any amplification from other pedals and the preamp stage away.

11. WingsFanLondon

WingsFanLondon Member

so... are you suggesting if I place the delay near the end of my effects chain, the noise would be lessened??

12. Creamy

Creamy Member

Yes. If you can do a side-by-side comparison with another DMM that might be helpful to determine if its the unit. But first, make sure you've eliminated the other obvious possible noise sources: pups, cables, other effects in chain.

13. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

The noise may be the result of a poorly made delay, it may be caused by how it interacts with your other equipment, it may be the way you use it, or bad cables, power supply, etc.

You should try the delay alone without any other effects, guitar > delay > amp. Also, if your amp has an effects loop, put the guitar straight into the amp and place the delay in the loop, alone without other effects. Compare and see if the noise is present or more prevalent one way over the other.

Also, make sure you're powering the delay properly. Under-powering or over-powering an effects device can cause noise in the signal chain. Don't forget to swap out cables, try different guitars, a different amp, etc.

If the noise persists throughout all of these suggestions then the delay itself must be at fault.

I am currently using a Maxon AD999 and there is absolutely no noise from this very excellent analog delay. I highly recommend it.

Ideally, place your delay at the end of your signal chain, after all other effects, but before reverb if you use it. I set my delay to output wet signal only which I re-mix with my dry signal. That preserves my original tone and provides better definition of the wet signal. I use an Xotic X-Blender to accomplish this. Also highly recommended.