More Echoplex EP3 Preamp Circuit Tests (Clips)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JubileeMan 2555, Feb 3, 2012.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

So after I converted my EP3 to the earliest circuit. I had a few questions in my head. Simply, why did they change what they changed.

So i built a switch into my EP3 that approached the circuit in two sections.
    A) Input circuit
    B) Post transistor Circuit

I then wired it so one way would have the circuit as a STOCK first run EP3, and then throwing the switch would create a hybrid circuit with second run input circuit, and a first run post transistor circuit.

I got interesting results.

I found i kept the boost given by the EP3 preamp that really helped keep notes stuck together, but was given a clearer/transparent more bitey sound. This is what I personally want since I found EP3 preamps to slightly dull the guitar sound. This may not be for everyone, since many like the stuffier sound, but I found it to be unnatural and I wasn't quite happy with it in the signal path all the time:

EP3 Bypassed

EP3 Stock First Run Circuit

EP3 Hybrid Circuit

(*Les Paul into Elmo Overdrive pedal used for overdrive before EP3 into Clean Marshall head and '74 creambacks)

2. Rumblur

Rumblur Member

Any chance for a single coil guitar through a clean amp so we can actually hear the EP3 and not the rest of the gear?

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I'll see what I can do. But this test was to help me, and this is how I would run this setup 90% of the time. And since its still a controlled experiment (i.e. bypassed EP3) one should still hear what is going on.