More FRFR pondering ... only the fan free need apply.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Jim Soloway, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

I spoke with Jet City yesterday and while they are interested in doing some smaller cabs, they aren't even on the drawing board yet. I made a decision long ago not to wait for products that may to show up for a long time. I'd rather make music now.

Thanks for the tip. This one looks promising.

2. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Jim, did you get my email reply to you a few months ago regarding this question? I never cease to be blown away by my FBT Maxx2a. I can't imagine it not meeting your requirements. They occasionally show up used. I also have the 4a but the 2a meets my needs 99% of the time.

jon

3. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

I did Jon and it's still definitely on the list. I just want a few more candidates before I pull the trigger.

4. hobbystuff

hobbystuff Supporting Member

Coming from a tube amp world, I don't even notice any hiss. It seems awfully quiet to me.

I'll have to listen to it closer.....

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

I want to suggest the RCF NX SMA-10.

It is a very serious, very professional level solution that is available now. Contact Mike Pyle for a competitive price that should be very close to your budget.

6. heretic

heretic Member

have you tried the EV ZXA-1 ? It's kinda like a QSC minus fan and inputs mixer.

7. Geiri

Geiri Member

8. 3dognate

3dognate Member

9. Geiri

Geiri Member

The kc 350 is light as a feather compared to same size tube amp. I've been pondering what to get for my digital rig and the criteria is loud, good sound portable and light. The kc 350 seems to be ticking all the boxes.

10. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

Thanks all. I ordered a cab today based on a bunch of input and research. I'll let you lll know what and how well it works after it arrives. (And Scott, I did order it from Mike Pyle. Thanks for the tip. He was great to deal with).

11. Scott Peterson

:aok

12. frantick

frantick Member

Scott, I know Jim is looking for FRFR for mostly clean sounds and for that, and based on your video review, these look great, I hope one works for him. I'm looking for FRFR too and would consider this or the 12", but I do a couple songs with controlled feedback and the following snippet from their website below worries me. Can you get feedback from these things? -cp

COMPLETE ABSENCE OF FEEDBACK

The advantages of the coaxial transducers are the complete absence of feedback and, thanks to the coherent single spherical wave front with a perfect dispersion control, a perfect listening in every position.

13. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

I'm not Scott, but I can help you here:

Wrong. This really isn't a major issue with a modeler, since guitars are much less prone to uncontrolled feedback than mics, but no loudspeaker is even approximately "immune to feedback." It is possible to maximize gain before feedback with a well-designed loudspeaker, but, by itself, coaxial configuration does not guarantee this.

Market-speak. A "spherical wavefront" is not only not possible with a real-world loudspeaker, it is not generally desirable. Producing a coherent wavefront necessitates a coaxial design, but it requires that other elements be addressed as well.

That's more market-speak for a possible, but definitely not automatic, attribute of a coaxial design. Here's a link to brief article on some of the considerations involved in the design of coaxial loudspeakers: http://frazierspeakers.com/download/coax.pdf. You may find some useful information in this document.

14. Scott Peterson

Jay did the heavy lifting for me.

I have been a professional in the advertising industry for over 25 years... I am not interested in ad-speak and marketing claims; and I am intimately and instantly familiar with it when I see it.

I am a pretty straightforward guy - I need to hear, use, work with something before I give it an opinion. Somethings I dig and will babble on about, somethings I feel are crap. I post the truth as I hear it; but I only do that with gear I have firsthand knowledge of.

Remember that all the powered wedges, save for the Atomic, have been designed NOT with modeling guitarists looking for FRFR solutions... but for vocalists that fight stage feedback from their mic. What RCF is talking about - as Jay notes - is maximum gain BEFORE feedback. The NX series are midline products; some would argue entry level/low end professional level. Just truth. They feedback with a guitar very easily, just as you'd want it to... depending of course on your guitar, preset, gain, volume, etc.. Simple physics. The RCF does *not* have any sort of digital hocus-pocus feedback filter in it, which might be what you are assuming it does. Not so. It simply allows you maximum volume because it focuses the sound from a coaxial speaker instead of a separate horn.... and the separate horns create feedback hell for vocalists far easier than a coaxial speaker does. In other words, don't sweat it as a guitarists cranking your modeler through it. :D

15. frantick

frantick Member

Thanks Jay & Scott, I may have to look into one. -cp

16. dspellman

dspellman Member

I see these speakers as underpowered for the money.

17. dspellman

dspellman Member

Conversely, I've had little problem getting these things dialed in with an LM12A. I have a 31-band EQ and an RTA to work with, but I really haven't noticed anything like what you're talking about *unless* I lay the thing down on the hardwood floor of a medium-sized room. And then it's the room acoustics at work, not the fault of the Carvin. Hard walls and floors emphasize the highs and distort them, and both mechanical and acoustic coupling will produce the boomy lows you describe. Up on a stand that hasn't been the case at all.

I've got a Triaxis and a Quad-X, though -- I'll have to try them with the LM12As. I'd nearly retired both preamps by the time I got the LM12As in favor of modelers (Pods), and those had mostly been used with tube power amps (Mesa, TS-100).

18. DRS

DRS Member

What's a more powerful speaker for $300?

19. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

For anyone interested in the Carvin LM12A, they've been discontinued (probably because of the price fluctuations in neodymium) but Carvin is liquidating the last of them on eBay for about $400 including shipping.

20. 3dognate

3dognate Member

Behringer B12D, B15D < I'd take these over the Thumps... Actual SPL is much greater than the Thumps... Freaking things are quite loud in actual use... But either way these are both DJ speakers with really exagerated EQ (EQ them Flat with a DriveRack + RTA mic sometime compared to something flatter like a JBL PRX. The resulting EQ is quite radical with them)... not even good PA mains or Monitors. Good for a starter house party P.A. though. Jim is a lot more serious about sound than these things.