More FRFR pondering ... only the fan free need apply.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Jim Soloway, Jan 24, 2012.

1. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

I'm interested in keeping this topic going for a bit...

I almost ordered a Carvin LM12-A - you guys say they are being discontinued, do you know if Carvin is replacing them with anything?

I want something to use with my HD500, and also would like to plug my Taylor into it (414ce). I just want to be able to try the HD with our band, and have a way to amplify the Taylor.

Unlike many in TGP, I'm not a professional musician - just a guy that likes to play a gig or jam here and there (free, no one would pay to hear me), appreciates good sound and good gear.

The subtleties in sound that many of you guys discuss are lost on me...

I tried the QSC's - I thought they both were good, preferred the 12, but for me it's probably overkill price-wise.

I never saw that Roland KC-350 before. Think it would work for the Taylor?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. dspellman

dspellman Member

The Carvin PM12A runs $299.
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=PM12A

400W (RMS) amplifier.

The Mackies' amplifier is a 400W PEAK power amplifier.
    From the Mackie spec sheet:

*400W of ultra-efficient Fast Recovery (TM) amplification:

• LF 300W peak power (Class-D)
    • HF 100W peak power (Class A/B)

Under most rating systems, this will producing a rating at least 2-2.5X its actual RMS output (because it allows the system to go into as much as 10% THD), but since it's a higher number, it'll often be used in advertising. In the owner's manual, the Mackie will note that the power amplifier is rated at 150W into the LF side, 50W into the high end. It will also note that absolute peak output is 120 dB, whereas the Carvin is conservatively putting out 124 dB.

In short, the Carvin has at least twice the power of the Mackie for the same price. Both can be pole mounted, and the Carvin has fly points as well (dunno about the Mackie). Both are about the same weight (25.5-27 lbs), both can be used as a floor monitor. The Carvin's been drop tested to 8'.

The Behringers actually have 200W (150W + 50W) of amplification and aren't louder than the Mackies, but they do have more distortion (which could account for them *sounding* louder). In addition, they weigh 36 pounds. One review of them on the Fractal board: "I have a B12D PA speaker. It's ok (for the price) for vox at practice but that's about it. Axe-Fx sounds like dirty a$$ though it." The one time I've seen one, the bottom end didn't meet specs, but that could be a fluke. It is, however, cheaper than either the Mackie or the Carvin.

3. Strat

Strat Member

used EV SxA250

4. 3dognate

3dognate Member

I'd pick the carvin out of the 3, if for nothing else, Carvin's amazing customer service. But I've owned both the B215D and the TH-15. They are so closely matched... But with both speakers eq'd flat with a driverack px, the B215D would produce higher spl before clipping. Any distortion differences may be measurable but audibly not so much. The B215D will carry a much longer room than the Mackie... Done it. But bass junkies like the Mackie and most of the reviews you read are from entry level DJs.

5. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

I just took a look at the Phil Jones site. I see they have a bunch of new models, several of which look interesting. I wish I had made it by their booth at NAMM.

6. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Update...

I ended up buying a Carvin PM12a - using it for my Taylor, and a POD HD500. So, again, I'm not at the level of many of you pro musicians, but my 2cents is the Carvin is a great deal. For $299, I have a powered speaker, mini-mixer on the back with three inputs (mic/line, line, RCA), it's loud enough to use with a drummer, doesn't seem to color the sound of my Taylor.

I tried the PM15 and PM10 models as well. The guys at the Carvin store (Sunset Blvd) were super helpful. PM15 was too boomy and the PM10 a little thin sounding...the 12 seemed like the right fit

7. Nota

Nota Member

Ditto on the FBT Maxx4a. It's not too heavy and sounds great. Quiet too.

I've owned the EV ZXA1. Very light, nice sound but constant low-volume hiss.

Right now I own the K8. I love that is has two inputs, is quiet (except when fan is on, but I can deal with that), and sounds good. Not too heavy!

8. dspellman

dspellman Member

Fans are the curse of any self-powered speaker, as is the specter of heat-related glitches. Most of these are designed for PA or personal monitor or DJ use, where a bit of fan noise is neither here nor there.

While self-powered speaker setups are convenient, those fans suggest that you might want to consider a setup where the power is separate. Power amps are amazingly light these days; a 1500W (RMS, bridged, 4 ohms) power amp from Carvin (the HD1500) is 9 lbs and $299 new. Their BX1500 bass amp (same level of power, but with an impressive array of active controls including three parametric EQs and an active 9-band graphic EQ) weighs just a pound more.

The nice thing about a "separates" rig, of course, is that you have the option of powering smaller speaker(s) for home use and larger for gig use without the purchase of a power amp with each speaker.